Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Magician’s right hand bears the wand of Will aloft, while his left hand points earthward. This is the descent of grace, the act of drawing Divine light and inspiration to the material, mortal realm.

Sweet myrrh, calamus, ambrette seed, and Ceylon cinnamon.

On wet: Sweet myrrh and juniper mainly. The Ceylon cinnamon keeps the juniper from getting to strong. I am not the biggest fan of this one. I am glad I got the decant, I won't need a bottle. The final dry down is sweet myrrh with hints of cinnamon and juniper. Pass.

As predicted, myrrh pawns the other notes. Juniper adds a hint of clean, natural grocery store soap (I could appreciate the gin association but the natural grocery store products is where my olfactory lobe jumps first) and in a very positive way, but for all intents and purposes this is myrrh SN. I actually love the wet phase before the skin makes this smell like the dust on the discount rack at a metaphysical book store, but it's short lived. I'm going to keep and cellar the decant as it could develop but I'm pessimistic about needing a bottle. Ah, there's the cinnamon. I have to snort really near the wrist to appreciate it, as the myrrh suppresses it, but it's nice. No burn from the cinnamon which is a bonus.

To be fair, since I've become a lady of a certain age, my chemistry is dry and often makes things sweet and powdery. Also I live in a dry climate and no doubt these factors impact the oil's performance. The result in a scent diffuser or layered over pre-moisturized skin may be different. If I get around to trying those alternates I'll report back but given the number of decants that I need to test, it could be a long time. If I revisited the scent, it may have aged favorably. That's not unusual and sometimes necessitated my hunting down a bottle later but it's a chance I'm going to take.

Edited by sprout

Source: Decant Circle

Preconception: My last toss to Myrrh to prove it's not wet basement. Fully expecting wet basement.

Vial: Honestly nothing. Sort of empty

Skin: I'm torn. I smell something but yet nothing. I'm anosmic to this? I get a musky wet nothing, topped with cinnamon. Very light touch of something green.

Drydown: This one fades fast on me. I'm left with a murky herbal vague spice.

Verdict; Myrrh you failed to prove anything to me. :|

Wet/in imp - cinnamon-skin musk scent (ambrette usually = a sexy, slightly sweaty musk on me) with an astringent edge that's almost like juniper (the calamus?)

Freshly applied - masculine aftershave, clean, spicy, and bracing/medicinal. I can definitely recognize the calamus from the Post's Patientia Bath Oil. Makes my skin tingle where applied.

Fifteen-twenty minutes - Patientia's warmer, cozier, less clean/green-scented cousin. My wrist is still tingling/stinging, but there's no redness.

1 hour in - Relatively little morphing (still warm, cozy myrrh and skin musk with a little bit of a manly aftershave-esque tang), but it's gotten softer and closer to the skin.

3 hours in - Magician's Hands has melded into a soft, unisex skin scent/skin musk, with a bit of an outdoorsy/leathery/manly tang. This smells like there's sandalwood in it even though there isn't. Despite containing cinnamon and myrrh, it's nothing like the Scroll or Chimera - the ambrette and calamus are dominant.

I don't understand where everyone is getting the gin from.  The Magician's Hands is not sharp on me at all.  I get very little cinnamon from this, and the myrrh is a fuzzy backdrop for the nutty musky ambrette seed and the calamus.  And I"m not exactly sure what calamus smells like, but I would guess kind of earthy-spicy-outdoorsy.  (In other words, the parts that aren't myrrh, cinnamon or ambrette).   Not much throw (which is normal for me), and average wear length.  This is a nice, work-appropriate unisex blend but not something that I need to hunt down more of.