Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Upstart Crow

Fortuna Respiciens

The Fortune That Changes Bad Luck to Good, Intervention in Times of Need

A hymn for blessings: pomegranate juice, mint, and juniper berry.

I love Violent Gesticulations from the 2017 Weenies, and when I saw the notes for this, I hoped for something similar but that may be a bit less high-pitched (which is perfect for Violent Gesticulations! But I didn't want a carbon copy). I got pretty much what I hoped for in this lovely scent. The pomegranate is darker and heavier, less punchy and more mellow--a bit like the kind in September Midnight. The mint and juniper berry blend in a way that accentuates the best parts of both--the crisp menthol of the mint and the woodsy, slight pungency of the juniper. Very well blended, but each note still manages to stand out even while balancing each other. Definitely a keeper! Glad I trusted my love of pomegranate enough to get a bottle.

For me, the opening was mostly pomegranate - nicely juicy, not too sweet. Later on, it gets more depth with juniper and the pomegranate gets blended in as the time goes on. Mint doesn't really stand out, and it's of the mild, herbal tea variety. In fact, the whole concoction is like a thick pomegranate-scented herbal tea. Drydown loses depth and is mostly all about the pomegranate again.

My first attempt at Lab's pomegranate (me being vary of fruit scents) and it's really nice - latter phase is kind of meh, but the pomegranate note works for me.

This reminds me of a seasonal chapstick you'd pick up around Christmas. I feel like the pomegranate is too sweet, the mint fades quickly, and juniper just yells Christmas. I think would make a good room scent for the holidays. Doesn't really work with my body chemistry.

Pomegranate and gin. This one is a minty, perfumey pom with enough juniper to give you that gin edge. It sort of reminds me to Manhattan - sans the leather. But yeah, definitely a cocktail. Medium throw and wear length.

I picked this out at random to try just before bed, oracle-like, as I sniffed a few bottles without reading labels and chose this simply on the scent of the pomegranate. And it turned out to be oracle-like in terms of meaning for me as well: The Fortune That Changes Bad Luck to Good, Intervention in Times of Need. A hymn for blessings. Yes, I need that now.

I smelled the pom right away, but because it is a little sweeter than some of the other poms I like, I thought for a moment it was grape, though I corrected myself even before I read the notes. I think the other notes do make it turn to an almost cocktail like scent, as noted by Ms. Z_z above. :cool: And certainly as it wore on it seemed to get more....clear for lack of a better word and the notes blending together even further become more like a cocktail, kind of the way a cosmo looks shining in the light of a nice dim bar, know what I mean? It feels...lucky!

Glad I got to try it!

Edited by cuervosueno