Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Vampire Tarot: Temperance

No notes. This was available for purchase at NYCC 2017. This oil is super thick and dark. On wet, It smells like dark musk and anise. As it dries, I swear I get hints of black leather. The drydown seems like a licorish scented black musk with again, hints of leather. Very dark, and powerful. Good throw and wear length.

The person I purchased this from actually had found the listed notes (I will link once I find them again myself!). I bought this because they were pretty much all win for me, but especially opoponax. That's what I smell most strongly in the bottle.

Wet: Opoponax and patchouli. Dark, sticky and sweet. Doing a bit of that cola thing opoponax does, which I love. There is something else in this too that is familiar, but I can't put my finger on it, nor can I remember from the notes. Maybe a gritty dark musk?

Dry: Sadly this sort of disappeared. Partially my fault as I threw on a hoodie and I think rubbed off the test patch of this on my inner elbow. Will require further testing. Man do I love that opoponax though!

this was thick and sticky as sap. slightly sweet with an edge of sinister. very very dark in feel. like a molasses oil slick reflecting a new moon. for those of you familiar with the bpal good omens scents, temperance smells like a hot lady demon that both hastur and ligur would want to date.

Eta: description!!

"XIV. TEMPERANCE

She said she was a vampire. One thing I knew already, the woman was a liar. You could see it in her eyes. Black as coals they were, but she never quite looked at you, staring at invisibles over your shoulder, behind you, above you, two inches in front of your face.

“What does it taste like?” I asked her. This was in the parking lot, behind the bar. She worked the graveyard shift in the bar, mixed the finest drinks, but never drank anything herself. 

“V8 juice,” she said.

“Not the low-sodium kind, but the original. Or a salty gazpacho.”

“What’s gazpacho?”

“A sort of vegetable soup.”

“You’re shitting me.”

“No.”

“So you drink blood? Just like I drink V8?”

“Not exactly,” she said. “If you get sick of drinking V8 you can drink something else.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Actually, I don’t like V8 much.”

“See?” she said. “In China it’s not blood, they drink, it’s spinal fluid.”

“What’s that taste like?”

“Nothing much. Clear broth.”

“You’ve tried it?”

“I know people.”

I tried to figure out if I could see her reflection in the wing mirror of the truck we were leaning against, but it was dark, and I couldn’t tell.

Eyes black as coals: gleaming opoponax, black patchouli, sweet benzoin, and beetle-bright labdanum."

Edited by annemathematics

This is mostly about the sweet opoponax and cola-like labdanum. The black patchouli emerges more with wear, but it never overtakes the resins. The benzoin adds a slightly powdery resin-y sweetness after a few hours.

I expected this to be darker, but it's mostly a sweet resin scent! It's not something I need more of, but it was fun to get to try it.