Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I love florals! Dark, light, combo, I want to try every floral scent possible but it's really hard to keep track as there are so damn many scents. I just want to hear some people's thoughts on florals to add to my wish list. I love heavy florals rose, jasmine, lilac, honeysuckle, geranium, lilies, etc. Also combos with honey, wine, metallic, or musky type scents (but not so much patchouli or sandalwood heavy). But I want to hear any recommendations so please comment yours!

Elizabeth of Bohemia is my favorite LE. Its Rose with oudh.

Otherwise, here's my favorites (that are not discontinued):

Eostre of the Dawn (american gods)

Salome

Ode on Melancholy

Melisande, The Puppet Mistress

Theodosius, The Ledgerman

Hope & Faith, The Siamese Twins

Santa Eularia Des Riu

Oneiroi

Maiden

Marie

Nocturne

Alice

Pepper

Pontarlier

Roses Pearls and Diamonds

Snooty Rose

Brusque Violet

Edited by SophieCedar

When I was new to BPAL one of these - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w5oj6NGHIy6M_kHIkMEmDl4gO_Y7nCGr6hji08O93wA/edit#gid=0 was the best thing ever. I highly recommend saving a copy, keeping it updated with new releases (I think this one may be missing Covfefe) and making a tab for things you've tried and your notes on them. If you're into that sort of thing (total spreadsheet nerd, right here!).

At the very least, I find it much easier to search for a specific note this way. You want Jasmine, search for Jasmine and you can go through ever scent with jasmine in it.

Personally, I can't do jasmine, but here are some recs on other florals

rose:

Spellbound three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

Whip black leather and damp red rose.

Wanda deep red merlot with a faint hint of leather, sexual musk and body heat over crushed roses, violets and myrtle.

(More of a general floral) Pepper Wild English roses, French gardenia, vanilla, honey, golden ginger, blood orange, tuberose, bergamot, and geranium.

Beauty, The Aggrieved A white rose draped by a delicate, pale, sheer veil of vanilla, the depth and darkness of her black lace embodied by tobacco absolute, Indonesian patchouli, Bulgarian oakmoss, frankincense, white sandalwood, and myrrh. (don't let some of the darker notes scare you, this is delicate and gorgeous, likely my favourite rose)

From Carnaval Diabolique - Hope Sugared Rose

lilac: (sadly these are all LE, but I don't think too hard to find on the secondary market)

from the Trading Post Glaucous Snow Snowballs of blue lilac, lotus root, Roman chamomile, sandalwood, and cade.

Eusapia Pale lilacs, white tea, and candle wax.

His Station and Four Aces Lilac fougere, white musk, and leather accord. (may be a bit harder to find, but it was worth the hunt for me!)

Adante con Fantasia A honeyed lilac fougere with a drop of lime

From the Lupers just past Cave of Treasures Sweet amber and golden honey, cream accord, blue lilac, and a drop of cardamom.

honeysuckle: (this isn't too common a note in BPAL, or at least not in a prominent way that I have found)

haven't tried it, cuz jasmine, but maybe Twilight Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle

High John the Conqueror (no listed notes, but it's a pretty floral, and some think honeysuckle is one of the notes. I think there's lily in there too)

Juliet Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear

New Orleans Sweet honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of lemon and spice.

From the new additions to American Gods Eostre of the Dawn Jasmine and honeysuckle, sweet milk and female skin.

Geranium: haven't found many, but a couple I liked were

Alice, The Reaper of Cruelty Bourbon geranium emboldened by the rich scent of aged patchouli, the sweetness of peach, raspberry leaf, and bourbon vanilla, surrounded by a butterfly swarm of spicy carnation and Italian bergamot.

The Night-Raven Indigo musk, wild plum, rose geranium, benzoin, night-blooming jasmine, and patchouli.

and an LE from not long ago Alias tonka bean and vanilla with red patchouli, Spanish king mandarin, white sandalwood, black pepper, and rose geranium was very geranium dominant on me.

Lily frequently smells like wet cardboard on me, so I'm not the best to gives recs on it, so instead, the rest of my favourite "floral" scents:

Alice Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Harikata Osmanthus, honey, golden musk, vanilla flower, and ginger. (LE)

Adventure with Bandits in a Kago Nectarine and pearl peach, white frankincense, and gardenia. (from the recent Lupers - amazing Gardenia!)

Lamia Pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude. (this is AMAZING)

Queen Alice Carnation, posies, and white amber with a hint of inky treacle, sandy cider, and wooly wine

Happy floral hunting! I hope you find many you love.

Some other dark florals:

GC:

Mata Hari (one of my favorites) five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean.

I haven't tried it but Lulu has geranium: tobacco flower, white gardenia, bergamot, and bourbon geranium.

Lots of people describe Sacred Whore of Babylon as a dark musky floral

Some dark LEs I love:

Importune Me No More (from this past round of Lupers) Red roses, red carnation, and grandiflorum jasmine grounded by regal amber and sweet, dark patchouli.

Mare Vaporum (past lunacy) white sandalwood, smoky oudh, golden amber, bourbon vanilla, and black jasmine

The Head (2016 Lupers) Tuberose absolute, red carnation, white gardenia, jasmine sambac, Siamese benzoin, and sweet oudh.

Thank you for all the beautiful recommendations so far

And thanks for the bpal document @LizziesLuck , I too am a spreadsheet nerd, although I've been resisting so far cause I didn't want to get "too into it" but I think i'm past the point of no return now so I might as well TuT

Rose and lilac have entire rec threads dedicated to them (The Rose Apologist Thread, confusingly located in the Bpal Chatter section instead of this one: http://www.bpal.org/topic/85392-rose-apologist-thread-aka-everybody-hates-rose-but-not-me/page-20, and the Lilac thread here: http://www.bpal.org/topic/16838-lilac/page-6), but my favorites are Cave of Treasures (like a lilac bush in bloom), Adrastea (gourmand rose that smells like honeyed pastry and rose Turkish delight), and Jezebel (orange blossom and rose).

I keep meaning to recommend Dia de los Muertos (... This is a Mexican paean to La Huesuda: dry, crackling leaves, the incense smoke of altars honoring Death and the Dead, funeral bouquets, the candies, chocolates, foods and tobacco of the ofrenda, amaranth, sweet cactus blossom and desert cereus.)

I don't really get many of the individual notes - just a loud, sweet, festive floral that makes me happy smelling it. Since it's a scent that appeared numerous years as part of the Weenies, you shouldn't have much trouble finding some to try.