Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White sandalwood and tonka with sweet tobacco incense, vanilla-infused mahogany, rum absolute, and golden oudh.

Sandalwood and incense. I can see how this gets translated into tobacco initially. And it smells clean, which i'm guessing is mahogany. It's kinda like clean laundry mixed with tobacco. I wonder if this is a weird reaction with sandalwood, or just the incense. This totally reminds me of walking past a washateria on a warm Saturday night with some people smoking cigarillos outside. I totally appreciate the sample, but this isn't giving me the tobacco smell I was wanting. Darn skin chemistry.

First Sniff Impression: Mellow and fragrant. Reminds me of maybe tobacco or a very subtle suede.

Wet in Vial: I feel like I can get most of the notes in this one, though no sandalwood, but that might amp and come out. Definitely the tonka and tobacco incense, the sweet mahogany and the booziness of the rum.

Drying Down on Skin: Drying down it's immediately much sweeter. There's still the "mellowness" of the tobacco and the other notes combined are making this pretty masculine for now. As it continued to dry, some of the golden-ness of the oudh is there and it grows warmer from the vanilla mahogany.

Dry on Skin: Dry it eventually had a sort of balance between the tobacco/rum and the golden notes. After a couple hours the sweet golden vanilla plus oudh came out even more strongly.

Conclusion: I think I prefer this to Gluggagaegir, which it reminded me of, but I don't really know honestly when I'd put either of them on again to actually wear. They seem more for writing-scent-inspiration or something, or if I can ever get some BPAL on my husband :biggrin:

Oh, wow, St. Clare is really, really good on me. Wet, there's tobacco and tonka, vanilla and rum, nothing sharp, everything gorgeously mellow. It's difficult for me to pick the notes apart once they've dried down into a smoky sweetness. I am not getting any noticeable oudh with this, just a lot of golden-brown warm comfort vibes. Lovely, and I'm so happy I had the chance to try it!

Back story: I see why some people say this smells similar to Gluggagaegir. Gluggagaegir used to be one of my favourite scents but I got a got a full bottle of it, and surprisingly it smelt different to the decant (I had already passed on). I wasn't sure if it was being unlucky, but I hesitated from getting more for that reason. St Clare was kindly gifted to me, and I am glad because now I can compare. It's funny because I was interested in this bottle only recently, before I got into oudhs (very recent), which is a part of why I had passed on it initially. I also worry as tonka can sometimes go plastic on me.

The Review: I get tobacco and mahogany to start, before it blends into a rum-tonka, almost wood-leather scent. The tobacco is short lived as it fades away.  It's still there an hour and 40 minutes later! I can't pick the oudh specifically, but I think it is definitely helping this one last. 
Unfortunately it is not the original scent I lost with my Gluggagegir decant despite the similarities. I think I am just not a huge fan of the rum note that is in both.