Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
puck_nc

Departing Like Smoke Hair Gloss

Sandalwood, tiare, white oudh, and white amber.

Origin: Straight from the Post

Original Thoughts: I love tiare. I like the idea of sandalwood, though it often amps on my skin. Amber is in that family of frankincense/musk/patchouli notes that amp massively on me if they're dark but can work if they're light. I haven't seen white amber listed as a note and definitely not white oudh before.

In the Bottle: Rich and evocative sweet sandalwood and amber with a thread of tiare.
Applying: All the sandalwood and amber. But they are light rather than heavy. Very like the smoke in the name.

Drying: The tiare develops and blends beautifully with the other notes. It's a bit more amber than sandalwood now.

Wearing: This doesn't seem to have a lot of throw, which is okay with me since I like wearing my hair glosses to work. It's very subtle but really sexy.

Verdict: I cannot stop sniffing my hair. This suggests that I might need a backup bottle or two, especially with an amber scent I can wear without amping.

Departing Like Smoke hair gloss is very pretty. It smells like the spiritual sister to Pearl hair gloss, one of my favorites which also contains tiare and amber, and also smells light as a feather.

The tiare and sandalwood are gorgeous together, and the result is a pale white floral-sandalwood scent with amber and oudh to anchor it. It's light enough that it's uber work-friendly, but I can still smell it in my hair—faintly—hours after applying it. The longer I wear it, the more amber I can smell. I'm not getting a lot of sillage from this one, it stays very close.

I'm going to love wearing this one to work on days when I have a lot of in-person meetings and don't want to knock anyone out with scent.

Departing Like Smoke is a sophisticated floral amber with a touch of sandalwood. Subtly sexy, this is like French grey silk underwear. Some may find it too subtle to be sexy, but I find it devastatingly glamorous in an understated way.

I would consider more of this.

I was looking for a pleasant, work-appropriate hair gloss and I think this definitely works for that.

Scent-wise, it's mainly sandalwood anchored with amber and cut through with white tiare. It is not too strong and wears well - I still get sandalwood and amber after several hours. It's comforting and a bit sweet from the amber and bright from the tiare.

Overall, this is a really nice gloss that I think will go well with many of my BPAL perfumes. It's a good addition to my hair gloss collection and one that I suspect will get lots of wear.

I've been looking for a gloss that will go with just about anything and be totally work appropriate, so I decided to try this with that in mind.

I already had hair gloss in my hair, so I sprayed this on my shirt and my arm to test.

It's sweet and amber dominant on me, which is pretty well what I had hoped for. The sandalwood and Oudh are very subtle. I can't detect much, if any, of the tiare.

I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I think I could wear this with a ton of different perfumes when I want to use a gloss because i love the product, but don't want something that will compete or conflict with my perfume. Totally work appropriate. I think I will use this a lot.

Overview: Hair gloss is a heavy, oily spray that quickly overwhelms my long, fine hair and makes it look and feel very greasy. I can't use this product anywhere but very sparingly on the ends of my hair, or else it makes my head look like an oil slick. I'm really careful with my hair and the products that I use on it. For a while, I was using this to fragrance the ends of my hair, but I find that it makes my hair fall out a lot, either from the high fragrance oil content, the heaviness of the oil itself, or something else. I wanted to love these and wanted them to work, because of the fragrances, but now I only use the hair gloss as a body mist on my arms and legs, not actually on my hair.

Fragrance review:

Mostly a powdery, clean, slightly vanillic smelling sandalwood & white amber, with hints of tropical, creamy, sweet, white floral tiare. Reminds me of The Harp of Cnoc I'Chosgair perfume oil (notes of amber, tiare, sandalwood, vanilla, cardamom and tagetes), but brighter and less complex.

This is a lovely scent, and lighter in feel than I had expected. There are no pencil shavings from this sandalwood. The scent is slightly sweet, gently floral/resin combo from the amber and tiare. The oudh and sandalwood are subtle. This is suitable for any situation, and as a hair gloss, it's another excellent choice.