Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Spaztic

A Sublime Beauty

White rose, orris absolute, warm tonka, bergamot, bourbon vanilla, and patchouli.

First time to be the first to review a scent, apologies to the mods if I do this wrong

In the bottle: a fruity wine-like smell, I'm guessing it to be the mix of the Rose, Orris and bergamot. Unexpected

Wet on skin: same thing, rather fruity in a wine-like way or almost inky. Strange but I really like it!

Drying: Starts to smell a bit floral soapy, not the biggest fan of this faze but it still smells nice. probably the Bergamot has faded and I'm left with Rose and Orris making it soapy, Haven't gotten the Vanilla or Patch yet, unless it's a fruity patchouli (which would really explain the opening).

Dry: The soapiness is gone and I'm left with a pleasant clean (as in fresh air) floral, white rose with a slightly powdery orris and something (must be vanilla) lending some sweetness.

Sour and astringent, like an unsweetened tea, with a perfumey, thin, sour rose. Maybe lemony. A Sublime Beauty smells white, sheer, and very sour on my skin. I can't smell any orris, tonka or vanilla to sweeten this up and make it more wearable. As it settles, it's like dried rose petal potpourri, sour lemons and sour tea. After about an hour, there's a dry, bitter, earthy patchouli that doesn't mesh well with the rose and bergamot for me. I was really hoping for a sweet, bright vanilla-rose, but this isn't sweet at all on my skin.

White rose always smells a little pickle-y and wood-y to me at first, but I try to be patient for a minute or two, because the drydown payoff is worth it. A Sublime Beauty goes that route on me, and I don't have to wait too long before this smells balanced and warm—the white rose, the orris, tonka, vanilla, and bergamot...all really balanced. The patchouli is nearly undetectable on my skin. I don't think I'd know it was here if it wasn't in the notes.

Totally dry, this is a spiritual sister to Parlement of Foules. Whereas Parlement was a fairly straightforward balance of white rose and resins, A Sublime Beauty is multilayered chord of a scent. White rose lovers should definitely try this!

In the imp: A soft, mellow rose - "white rose" sounds entirely appropriate! There's also a fresh, creamy, citrus-y scent that could be the bergamot and bourbon vanilla, or could be me just trying to smell the listed notes. Or, hell, it might just be an aspect of the rose itself. Either way, it's a fresh, innocent scent - so far, so good.

Wet: An earthier, "dirtier" scent overall. I'm definitely getting the patchouli, a sort of violet-like floral that I assume is orris, and a touch of creamy sweetness that's probably the bourbon vanilla, but may also be the way the white rose is interacting with all of the above.

Dry: Soft, powdery sweetness - orris with tonka and/or bourbon vanilla, and occasional flashes of patchouli. Huh, I'm surprised the rose didn't last longer - rose may go sour on me sometimes, but it's never faded this quickly.

Hopefully aging will take this from something good to something great. I love the idea, I love all the notes, but together...somehow it just doesn't wow me.

White rose powder and tonka. This does not work for me at all. Orris goes sharply powdery, accentuating the white rose. I think the patchouli adds some grit into the dirt, but it just ends up smelling like white rose powder. Soft throw, low wear length.