Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LizziesLuck

Dead Leaves, Black Fig, Cacao & Copal Hair Gloss

I am not a fan of reviewing first, because I'm pretty much a terrible reviewer, but I will give it a go for the sake of anyone waiting for reviews.

I removed the spray top to sniff from the bottle directly. In the bottle this is beautiful, the sweetness of the fig and the richness of the cacao really come through, with just a hint of resinous copal.

I sprayed twice on the ends of my hair. Once dry, I got no cacao, no fig to sweeten it, just earthy dry dead leaves and copal. To me, copal is a little bit masculine, it's not my favourite resin. I'm sad that the beautiful cacao and fig that are so evident in the bottle don't shine through on me. I guess my chemistry kills them.

I will likely be swapping my bottle. I took a gamble on this, knowing I'm not a big fan of copal, and hoping this would be mostly cacao and fig with the dead leaves. Hopefully those that really like copal with love this!

In the bottle, this is cacao with a tinge of dry leaves. My own hair's too short for me to sniff directly, but the initial spray in the air smelled great, and I kept catching light whiffs of a dark chocolate incensey smell throughout the day that made me wish I could get a better sniff. MUCH more subdued than The Great Pumpkin of War, which was expected but still a relief.

I don't often get comments on my BPAL choices, but this one got "wait, who smells good?" so I'm counting it a win.

Edited by owlfeathers

This is the dirty dark chocolate hair gloss of my dreams. I get mostly dead leaves and gorgeous rich bitter cacao, with hints of fig and Copal. It's distinctly chocolatey without being foody. I love that because I feel like it will allow me to wear some of the more chocolatey perfumes in my collection without smelling like a walking baked good (not that there's anything wrong with that!). I think I'm gonna need more of this stuff.

So chocolate and fig go terribly wrong on my skin, so I was excited to discover that it's not the case on my hair! I tested two drops of this on the end of a braid and the main notes on me are the dead leaves, backed by a dry, not sweet, non-foody chocolate. It's a lovely combination! I don't really get the fig or copal, or if they do, they're mixed in with everything else. I'm digging this a lot and will now have to do a full test to see if it lasts! 6 hours in, it's pretty faint compared to another gloss I'm testing, but I didn't use very much and as I just started my round of testing it's hard to tell if this gloss is faint or the other is strong.

ETA: I usually only end up buying full sizes of HG that last forever on my hair (shout out to Frosty Silkybat, Eldritch Dark, Dead Leaves & Haitian Patchouli) but this smells so great I bought it anyway. It still lasts a decent length of time, just is more subtle.

Edited by Allumina

Got a decant of this.... sniffing, I, too, get the cocoa and sweet fig. Smells great! However, when I apply it to my hair, I am guessing it is the copal I am smelling, not sure what that actually smells like, but I also get no fig or cocoa anymore. It almost smells like a real nice cleaning product. It isn't bad, but a bit too masculine for me.

Like the first reviewer this was all chocolately fig in the bottle (which made me leer-y, actually), but once on my hair they faded in the background. The dead leaves note took center stage, with just a hint of the other notes adding depth and sweetness. I really like the cleanness of the dead leaves note, so this Weenie series has been a total win for me.

Dead Leaves, chocolatey fig and a touch of smokiness. In general, this was a fig + dead leaves hairgloss. Cool, sexy, and kinda fruity.

Is "I've worn this every day since receiving it in the mail" a proper review? No? Well, I was hesitant because my one other experience with a red leaves/dead leaves note turned to straight up celery on me, but the other notes sounded so intriguing that I blind bought it and hoped it would behave on my hair. And I won that gamble! It starts off as a beautiful dead leaves note, backed by chocolatey fig. Hours later, the top dead leaves note fades away and the copal comes out, leaving a gorgeous golden incense remnant. I also get a bit of a dirt note along with the leaves, leading to the dead, autumnal aspect. It's sweet and earthy and very, very fall. I love this.

Edited by vthesiren

I had to get this when it appeared in the etsy shop, because it pretty much sounded perfect for me. (Actually, at least half the HGs do...) It's heavy on the dead leaves and resin, but there is a dark, bittersweet undertone that seems to be a mixture of the cacao and fig. I hope that particular pairing is in another scent sometime, because it's beautiful. I can see this going with quite a few things I own, simply because it's so dark and smoky--I'm wearing it with Bestla now and they get along rather well.