Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
claudia6913

Dead Leaves, Bourbon Vanilla, and Myrrh

An autumn day on which the sun is hiding behind the clouds, leaving the sky bright and a bit yellow, while you're crushing up leaves under your swampers.
...I'd say the colours are gold, brown and light blue. In the bottle it's warm and sweet with realistic dead leaves. On my skin, it holds on to the sweetness but amps up the leaves like crazy, giving it a big sharp and cold throw. Not for everyone, but man this is just what I was hoping for!

I'm not quite sure what I expected from a dead leaf scent, considering I live somewhere that doesn't really get a *real* fall with changing leaves and all. Maybe something earthy, brittle, dry, a little dusty? The dead leaf note ended up smelling vegetal, peppery, and a bit musky. That surprised me a little. One review said bell pepper and I kind of agree lol. It took about an hour or so for the bourbon vanilla and myrrh to make an appearance. Once they did, the scent sweetened considerably. I really like the bourbon vanilla, it's a darker, less sweet version of regular vanilla. And the myrrh is resiny and sweet. This has average throw and staying power. Every autumn I kinda wish I lived somewhere with a ton of trees to see the leaves turn, and I think if I did this scent would have more fall associations for me than it does. I like this but I'm not crazy about it, so I think I'm good with a decant. The far drydown is mostly sweet myrrh and reminds me a bit of the drydown of laudanum.

I've waited a full year for this bottle to mellow out and make sure I wasn't judging it too quickly.

In the bottle: bell peppers.

On my skin: bell peppers, but heavy "perfumey" bell peppers, not a single whiff of vanilla, nothing powdery, no incense, just heavy, heavy, almost aquatic, oddly unnatural but still bell pepper bell peppers.

I need to sell this. On me, it's absolutely unwearable. Sigh. The search for sophisticated vanilla goes on.

It's so interesting to read the early reviews for Dead Leaves, Bourbon Vanilla and Myrrh because I am having the opposite experience of most of my peers. I get very little in the way of dead leaves from my decant and lots of bourbon vanilla and myrrh. The drydown on my skin is entirely vanilla and myrrh, which is a lovely combination -- looking through my spreadsheet, I don't see it in a lot of places. But I was hoping for some dead leaves as well.

I just found this imp.

Oh my it’s lovely. 

it’s a gorgeous fall scent but knowing me I’ll wear it year long. I should have bought this years ago when it was for sale. 

dead leaves dry quickly leaving dirty bourbon and smoke. It’s a hint sweet and dries into a smoky incense.  

“two thumbs up fine holiday fun!”

In the imp this smelled overpowering. However, I really enjoyed this scent on the skin! The boubon and myrrh was a little much but faded with time. 

This one's a bit of a morpher. The dead leaf note starts out strong in this one -- intense, vegetal, wet fallen leaves. It's strong and almost sour initially, but as it dries down, the leaves soften and the vanilla and myrrh come out more. After drydown, it's a kind of somber, bittersweet vanilla with an undertone of dead leaves. It might just be the weather where I currently am, but something about it makes me think chilly, gray fall days. Pretty and evocative, and super long-lasting, which is fortunate given I don't start really liking this until it's dried down and gotten past the sour phase.

This is from 2015 so it may have gone off.  All I’m getting is sour dead leaves note.  It has a men’s cologne vibe like October.  Wish I could have tried it sooner