Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Deception and despair: rose geranium and tea roses with mahogany wood, bourbon vanilla, and apple peel.

In the bottle
In the bottle I get apple at first, and then some rose upon exhaling. The rose, geranium, and apple all linger in the nostrils. Very pretty.

Wet on skin
Floral apple. But sweetly floral apple, not a cloying, perfume-y floral apple or a fake apple. A juicy apple. A little bit like you might think apple blossoms smell when you see a picture of one. The interplay between the apple and rose is very well-blended so that I can detect them both, but they're not fighting for attention.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes
While this remains a very rose/apple/geranium scent, the vanilla and a little bit of something woodsy help to temper things and make this more complex as this sits on my skin. It's not strictly fruity or floral.

Thoughts
This is one of my very favorite Yule 2017 blends, after Blackcurrant Sufganiyot, and I really hope to track down another bottle. There are other apple/rose scents but nothing quite like this. The Fox Sisters has really good throw without being super in-my-face, so a little goes a long way. This is a frequent flier in my collection.

I’m not 100% on the year on this but I think it’s the 2014 version.

This is a sibling of the GC blend Delirium (apple, rose, and lemon) but much softer. I mean both that this has less throw as well as it’s less bright due to the muting of the vanilla and mahogany.

This is sweet bright apple and a rose note grounded with vanilla. It’s quite lovely, though I wish it had more throw.

Last year, I eyed and eyed The Fox Sisters, but made myself leave it be to keep costs down. This season I'm on a geranium kick, so please yes.

When I first apply this, it reminds me of Coral Snake (Snake Oil with blood orange, blood apple, lemon peel, plumeria, and red gardenia). It's not quite as bright as that one when it first goes on, but the blood-red floral apple vibe is a cousin. (Or a sister.) 

Red apple, rose geranium, rose, and hints of unlisted lemon and blood orange.

As this dries, I find a mild vanilla and wood background.

Love it. Probable bottle.

2018 version.

There is something in this that surges lemony on application.. not sure if it's just a secret note.

There is a good amount of rose to this. Mostly tea rose. It's sour and sweet, a bit powdery but nice. Only a bit of the geranium though.

The apple peel adds some freshness but mostly fades on application.

The bourbon vanilla is mild, mostly on wrist sniff. It does add a bit of creaminess into the throw.

I actually don't get any mahogany at all...

Overall not a bad smell but I'm not super a fan of this secret lemon note to be honest.