Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A throaty laugh, a sinuous whisper: blackened sandalwood and bourbon vanilla cream with gleaming Haitian patchouli, animalic ambergris accord, immortelle absolute, white benzoin, and a drop of tobacco absolute.

I'm way out of my confort zone here but could'nt resist the beautifull artwork hehe :P

Wet: Silky fabric! There is a really prominent salty element- must be the ambergris I guess! The patch behave nicely and stay in the background for once. The immortelle is present as well.

Dry: the tobacco come to play with the others.This is really sweet! Not sure if I detect benzoin ou sandalwood at this stage.No vanilla at all, which is sad because I'm a big fan of vanilla :'(

Verdict: This blend is..quite interesting. I'm glad I got a bottle only because it is quite unique among the scents I own! I'm not in love with it, but this is a keeper for sure! I'll need to retest this with vanilla bourbon SN ;)

Edit 22/4:
Black Silk really started to grow on me! :wub3: It just needed a little time to settle down :) I finally get sandalwood and vanilla :wub3: Edited by nolifeking

The smoky patchouli and tobacco wind up smelling like stale cigarette smoke to me, with an ambery, cologne-like feel from the ambergris. I don't get any vanilla or sweetness, which makes this unpleasant to me. Also, Black Silk is a very light fragrance with not much throw or staying power on me, in spite of its heavy note list.

I expected this to be darker and throatier but it was mainly creamy vanilla with some patchouli underneath, very nice yet not what I was looking for.

All of the quirky notes smashing their little sparkling molecules together is magnificent. This fragrance for me, evokes a certain time, and material while remaining elusively vague. It achieves this feat with its seemingly amorphous quality, delicate, clean, classy and understated.
Neither woody nor floral, I can't exactly describe it as heavily herbal or musky either, yet somehow it smells distinctive and chic. Like a cross between the scent of a freshly printed upscale design magazine and the interiors of a luxury occult shop, the warm, seductive ambergris shines at the finish, while the wispy, earthy tobacco gives it a certain sensual sophistication and mystic. This makes me feel swishy and delicately swathed in timeless elegance.

Edited by Jenjin

I've had this bottle for almost a year, and I'm still not too sure how I feel about it. Admittedly I snapped it up when I realized that Abigail Larson did the artwork and it has a lot of notes I love. 

In bottle: Sandalwood, what I assume is ambergris and tobacco. I never like it when I take a whiff of it in the bottle as the sandalwood is really overpowering. 

Wet: Blast of sandalwood and a sort of salty/cologne that honestly, kind of reminds me of the smell of taffeta. Thankfully it changes fairly quickly as the sandalwood fades, the tobacco becomes more prominent, and the vanilla/bourbon just peeks around the edges. I'm still not sure if I like it. 

Dry: Sandalwood/ambergris. I just want the other notes to come through!!! 

Edit: Dry after a few hours : Tobacco, vanilla, ambergris, and the patchouli is in the background. I think the reason I struggle with this scent is that it's "perfumey" in a way that most of my oils are not, It's definitely an understated and delicate scent despite the heavy notes. And I *do* like it but I want to be in love with it. 

Edited by lipstickonmyteeth92
Adding information

This bottle of Black Silk is well aged and very smooth, as the name implies -- it feels like cognac, though that's not one of the components.  I get the tobacco, patchouli, and benzoin, but it's all hard to parse out, it has really melded together.  It's elegant and not as dark as the name or ingredient list might suggest.  It's not quite as strong or long-lasting on me as I would hope, either.