Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Chaos Theory Hair Gloss

So I received 1/2 oz of the "Scapula Vanilla based HG", no number. I have to say that it smells heavily of both vanilla and cherries. In some ways it reminds me Hollywood Babylon, so I think it's black cherry and vanilla.

Decant labeled XI

Oh my.....OH MY!! Sniffing in the bottle, I get a whiff of gorgeous chocolate, caramel, smoky, and a hint of cinnamon.

On Damp Hair : I LOVE this!! :wub3: It stays the same as what I sniffed. It has a light throw, but I am getting the chocolate with a drop of caramel and a hint of that lovely cinnamon. It is a soft cinnamon as well.

ANYONE out there that has her decanted siblings, please let me adopt!!

After swapping decants I ended up with Scapula HG and Chaos Theory XXX V||

Scapula is dark fruits plums and black currants with vanilla cake. Its sooooo gorgeous!

Chaos Theory XXX V|| is the hairgloss equivalent to Mare Nectaris! Its starts off pretty boozy but then calms down to a gorgeous peach.

Perfect for summer hair!!!

Bottle XVI: My husband and I determined that of all the scents, it is most like Wezwanie-Hold, very nutty and rich, with a caramel/brown sugar coating. After about 30 minutes the strong sweet and nutty fades to a musky dusky smokey spice with a rich sweet base. It's deliciously amazing, and I think it will go beautifully with Wezwanie, Goblin Sack, Brown Thrasher, and similar.

So I snagged a decant of Chaos XVI and it is indeed burnt caramel, foodie vanilla, and yes to the smokyness, but for me it was less musky and more amber like. But yes, this was a foodie, very much like Wezwanie/Hold and in general if you were looking for a smoky dark foodie vanilla + other stuff, this would be the hair gloss to track down.

Origin: Bought from the BPTP Etsy shop - bottle is labeled III !!!

Initial Thoughts: I don't do Chaos Theory in perfume because I have a few notes that itch horribly on me and more that amp badly. But I've learned that my hair is a different beast and am more willing to experiment with hair gloss. I tried purchasing a bottle when this first happened and got LXXXI, a very smoky blend that veered between charcoal and woodsmoke and finally went to a better home than mine. I figured it was worth trying once more so my Selbstverliebt bath oil would have some company.

In the Bottle: High and sharp florals. I'm thinking there's some very greeny rose in here - my first thought was Rose Red but even more dewy-fresh. A second sniff detects something else under that, but I have no clue what it is at this time.

On Dry Hair: Oh yeah, there's definitely some rose in here. I sprayed a bit on my hands to rub into a lock of hair and now my hands stink of way-too-green leaves and stems. In my hair I can detect the rose, probably another floral or two, and something else that makes me want to say citrus, but it seems off in some way. It's airy and maybe a bit ozone-y, but something about the notes is clashing a bit.

Verdict: No verdict yet. I'll come back and edit in the results when I apply it in my normal damp-hair method. It's entirely possible that what smells off is the notes in this clashing with the Winter Lily and Sugarcane HG I put on this morning, even though that scent is barely there at this time of the evening.

Update: Haven't done the wet-hair application yet, but the spritz I put in my dry hair mellowed out in a short while, that odd tang left, and I have a rosy floral that may be a little bit brighter and lighter than Rose Petals and Champa.

Final Verdict: I think this one will be a keeper. I did my normal shampoo/wrap-hair-in-towel/apply/gloss/blow-dry method and got a very strong burst of rose that was much like my Rose Red experience at first, very green and dewy rose. But whatever the other notes are, they mellowed it more toward my beloved Rose Petals and Champa, but less complex. I was sneaking sniffs of my hair all day long and could definitely smell it when I was moving around. A bright rosy floral and I'm glad I dared the Chaos a second time.

Edited by puck_nc

First in a series of Chaos Theory tester reviews.

CT XLIII (43): This one is a lush tropical blend. I am guessing there is some pineapple. On wet it had an almost soapy quality to it, but then I get pineapple and lush white florals. Perhaps a touch of orchid?
previously reviewed here

CT CIV (104): This one is definitely a candy floss sort of blend. It reminds me to Peach Candyfloss minus the peach. I think there's either some gin or juniper in it which gives it that 'cool gin fizz' to it. So evocative of Star Promenade but with candy instead of apple spices.
previously reviewed here

CT LXXXIV (84): Vetiver! Lemon! This smells like a smoky pinesol cleanser to me. It's gritty, musky, and honestly seems like it should be Smutty Goblin + lemon hybrid.

previously reviewed here

CT LXXXV (85): Musky cake and sandalwood. I can sort of see the Jingo-Kogo reference, but its hazy for me. It's mainly a sugary cake with sandalwood in it. Very subtle, very sexy.

previously reviewed here

CT XVI (16) from etsy II: Burnt orange peel, caramel and dark musk. Definitely a smoky cousin to Smutty Goblin.

CT XIV (14) from etsy II: Sugared flowers, vaguely watermelon, slightly aquatic florals.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Second in a series of CT testers. And second in the OMG I accidentally closed this before posting. ARGH!

CT LXXVIII (78): This one was a lavender heavy one. I do get hits of grapefruit. It smells like a somnus blend. Huge throw.

CT XVII (17): This one smelled coconutty, and with lush tropical florals. I got a creamy tropical coolness that made me think of shea, and in some ways also reminded me to Dana O'Shee.

CT XV (15) from etsy II: Cherry/red currant candy, sugar and there's a white floral bloom poking through there.

CT XI (11) from etsy I: Dark musk, burnt sugar. This one reminds me to Mr. Fezziwig's Ball atmo. And I think I love it.

CT XVII (17) from etsy I: This one has a resin background, and a touch of brown sugar. There's definitely some chewy tobacco in here. In fact, it reminds me to tobacco from Laura Belle McDaniel.

CT X (10) from etsy I: UGH. I don't know what's in this but it makes me recoil a bit. This one is a lush, white floral. Very classic. Is that you gardenia, acting up again? It smells clean, and overwhelming. Huge throw.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Third in a series of CT testers.

CT XVII (17) from etsy II: This one has a reddish tint to it in the vial and it definitely smells like dragon's blood resin. I get DBR, slightly cinnamony and honestly this one really reminds me to Dragon's Milk.

CT IX (9) from etsy I: I totally remember this one from somewhere. This one smells like a classic, white floral. Less intense and overwhelming than CT 10, which is obviously related. Creamy white florals. I swear there's some gardenia in this.

CT XIII (13) from etsy I: pine, fur and something else. This one has a pine/balsam note to it. This one is like the warm version of CT 14.

CT XIV (14) from etsy I: pine, snow, and maybe less throw than CT 13, which is obviously related. This one smells cleaner, and fainter. It's like the cold version of CT 13.

CT XXXII (32): sandalwood, white pepper and a hint of iris. Honestly, this smells like peppery sandalwood to me.

Previously reviewed here

CT XXXIX (39): Boozy apricot schnapps, hint of coconut. Is there also sandalwood in this? I can't tell. Very Shunga-esque.

Previously reviewed here.

CT LXXV (75): Definitely a bright yellow orange oil in the vial. Bright lemony bergamot. Touch of apricot and sandalwood. This one honestly made me think of Lemon Scented Sticky Bat more, but it's more like LSSB as an Asian/Shunga type.

Previously reviewed here

CT XXXVII (37): Boozy apricot schnaps. Touch of bay rum. This one is less sweet than CT 39.

Previously reviewed here

Edited by zankoku_zen

Fourth in a series of CT HG testers. I think I'm halfway through. I think.

CT CV (105): Gardenia and amber. Perhaps there's some violet in there, but I apparently can find any gardenia in any blend. Because, gardenia.

Previously reviewed here

CT LVIII (58): Rose Red is that you? I swear this is either Rose Red or Peacock Queen (bear in mind, I haven't smelled either of them in years). On wet, you definitely get more of that dew note. I don't really get any incense from this. Just lush red roses.

Previously reviewed here

CT XLIV (44): Ginger and something brightly fruity along with a soft citrusy white floral. This actually reminds me to a softer version of Baobhan Sith, actually.

Previously reviewed here

CT XCVIII (98): Spicy allspice and tobacco. Warm, spicy, tobacco and something chewy. A slightly more floral Ms. Flemming's Gingerbread House version?

Previously reviewed here

CT XIX (19) from etsy II: Bubblegum and watermelon fruit. Sugar candyfloss. Yup candyfloss and bubblegum. Honestly it reminds me to Candy Phoenix, but with a tinge of white florals.

CT X (10) from etsy I: Why does this smell like guava to me? Fruity tropical. This one smells like it could be an Atomic Luau Lounge blend. I think I smell ambergris and some other aquatic.

CT XVIII (17) from etsy I: vetiver, powder and something sweet. This is a sweet powdery blend with edges of smokiness.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Fifth in the series of CT HG testers

CT LIII: Definitely cakey. I think there's some ginger in there and a touch of lemon blossom. It's spicy, cakey, buttery.

Previously reviewed here

CT XLII (42): This one smells a little like Snake Oil, but more powdery. It's got some blue musk in there, and a touch of moonflower. The oil itself has some reddish globules that are much heavier that sink to the bottom, so I imagine that it needs a good shake in larger quantities.
Previously reviewed here

CT LVII (57): Definitely planty green! It smells like Karme and Planting Moon - which means fresh greenery, squash blossoms, and tomato leaf. I love me some tomato leaf. It just smells SO fresh.

Previously reviewed here

CT XXXVI (36): So this one is white musk and clean florals. It ends up smelling like powdery talc to me. So very clean?

Previously reviewed here

CT LXXXI (81): Another gourmand one. This one has some orange zest, some allspice, and I think a tiny bit of brandy? It sort of reminds me to a better version of BPAL's Fruitcake.

Previously reviewed here

CT XVI (16) from etsy I: This one is a creamy white floral. Old fashioned. Clean. It actually makes me think of Nivea Cream.

CT XIII (13) from etsy II: Grapefruit and yuzu. This one is a bright citrus, and almost purely citrus. I definitely think there's some yuzu in there. Good throw.

CT XVII (17) from etsy I: Another creamy white floral, more clean. Perhaps a touch of linden blossom?

CT VIII (8) from etsy II: Lump of Coal is that you? This smells like cocoa, chocolate, and cocoa powder. It dries to a more Boomslangy-type chocolate.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Sixth in the series of Chaos HG testers

CT XCIV (94): Pear, hints of stone, riesling wine. This smells like a vineyard in Germany - golden sun, golden grapes, pear groves. It's very golden and absolutely stunning.

Previously reviewed here

CT XV (15) from etsy I: This one smells like citron and white musk. Hints of lemon verbena. It's soft, clean, and springy.

CT VII (7) from etsy I: There's a note in here that I don't like that goes all powdery on me. It smells like gin and talc - or drunk grandma. I mean if that's whats you're going for.

CT XVII (17) from etsy I: Boozy, cool, touch of gardenia.

CT XII (12) from etsy II: Strawberries, strawberry candy and just a dash of grenadine. This smells like the love child between Velvet Pink Kitty and Strawberry Moon.

Seventh in the series, and hopefully the last type of post around this:

CT LVI (56): Minty, cloves, and a hint of vanilla. This smells like a smokier version of Snowblind actually.

Previously reviewed here.

CT XX (20) from etsy II: This smells like something familiar - and kinda out of the Carnival Diabolique line, more along the lines of Stormclouds Around the Midway. Sort of sugary incense, plum, hints of ozone.

CT XIII (13) from etsy I: Honey, almond, and a whiff of cherry.

CT VI (6) from etsy I: Again, smells familiar. White florals, perhaps gardenia? This smells like a classic white floral perfume. I can't put my finger on it.

Chaos Theory LI (51): This one is a really woodsy one. I got mainly cedar, perhaps a touch of oak? It's woodsy and smells masculine to me. I actually had to layer another HG on to give it a little sweetness.

LXX (70): This one is a smoky, honeyed, musky vanilla type blend. It's very sultry and sophisticated. In some ways, it has a Voodoo Queen vibe, but if Voodoo Queen was drenched in honey and vanilla.

CT LIX (79)

To me this smells like super sweet, sugary tea. It honestly smells like sweet (iced) tea, except without any icy or cold element. It smells like room temperature sweet tea LOL. But I mean that in a good way! I actually really like it. The person who sold me the partial bottle described it as smelling "golden" and I don't disagree with that assessment either. :) This one is nice!

I got CT 84.  On me it's straight, lovely, dirty-hippie funky skunky patchouli with a teeny bit of hemp.....

Let me add that I also have an ancient bottle that I got on a private sale--CT 92.  This one is a kind of dry, white floral thing -- getting lots of white flower including maybe some narcissus funk but also white rose, with a hit of some kind of white floral skin musk to tone it all down.  Super nice.