Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jennifurious

The Flowers Cleave Apart

Honeyed jasmine, white neroli, red sandalwood, champaca, and raspberry wine.

Holy crow. HOLY CROW. I LOVE THIS. Opens with a blast of the sweetest jasmine you can think of with just a breath of sweet wine to tickle the palate. I really expected the wine to be rather loud, but amazingly it isn't. The way it sneaks around the back is a nifty little trick and wish it hung around a bit longer. The jasmine takes the tiniest step back and allows the sandalwood and champaca to share the fringes of the spotlight, but it's still very much her show.

This was definitely a high risk/high reward purchase for me and I know that this just won't be everyone's cup of tea. But if these notes appeal to you in any way, I would highly recommend giving this a test spin. It's simply as heady as it sounds and jasmine lovers everywhere should be quaking with excitement.

My Lupercalia package just arrived and yes Jennifurious, I was quaking with excitement! Jasmine, honey, raspberry and wine are four of my favorite notes; I was psyched to get all of them in single bottle. So without further ado:

In the bottle: Jasmine, jasmine and more jasmine. Floral and sweet. This kind of worried me, for a straight jasmine note can turn into plastic on my skin. I’m hoping the other notes would make the jasmine behave.

Wet on skin: A SWEET jasmine. The honey isn’t prominent, but makes the jasmine lightly dusted with sugar. The raspberry wine isn’t in the foreground either. I recognize it, the astringency of wine and raspberries, but it’s just enough to tickle the nose a little. This also has a realistic lemon blossom quality to it, which I assume is the neroli.

Initial Drydown: As this blend dries, the jasmine tones down and let the other notes have a turn. The raspberries are stronger, but I tend to amp wine. Almost like smelling a fresh jasmine flower next to a bucket of freshly crushed raspberries.

Drydown later on: Not much of a change, this blend really clings to my skin for a floral blend. Good throw, with barely a dab on my left wrist I can smell it without smooshing my nose against it.

Verdict: This blend didn’t turn into plastic. :joy: I love this, and this turned out even better than I expected. If you hate jasmine, you might find The Flowers Cleave Apart too heady. But if you're like me who LOVES jasmine and LOVES raspberries, you'll adore this blend.

Incensey jasmine wine in the decant.

On my skin, it's much of the same, but the jasmine comes out more.

I have come to appreciate jasmine so much more over the last few months, so this is really nice for me. The hint of raspberry wine is lush and delicious, but it's such a small hint, I wish there was more of it on me in this blend. May still be bottle worthy, though! As I sit here, the raspberry wine makes its presence more known. Yay!

In the imp: Jasmine and raspberry wine.

Wet on skin: Mmmm............ this jasmine really blooms on my skin. It's gorgeous!

Dried down: Still mostly jasmine on me. Almost a jasmine single note now - the wine has pretty much disappeared at this point (although I can still get it if I try really hard).

Throw: I'm not getting much, but as I'm testing a lot of scents right now, that's probably normal.

Verdict: **** I am kind of wishing the the sandalwood and champaca were a little stronger in this one, and I'm kind of still hoping they come out, but the jasmine is so pretty on me, I may want a bottle anyway.

Sweet jasmine, raspberry, wine and a touch of sandalwood as a base.

It's a very pretty jasmine blend. Fresh, floral and with enough interesting elements to make it a fun jasmine blend.

For unfortunately, all jasmine smells like cat pee to mr. zee_zee, so he won't be happy about me trying this on.

The honeyed jasmine is the strongest note on my skin, and it's really pretty. The raspberry wine is also evident and lovely, and is not doing the typical wine thing on me (that is, amping into disgustingness.) I do not detect the champaca at all, and I think the sandalwood is just giving it a nice base.

Any fans of jasmine should try this one!

Edited by OctoberGwen

Sweet, sweet honey and jasmine here, no surprise! I knew there was a heady flower and honey, this is something that bees would love, but for me, it is just too sweet and, well, jasminey:) On a positive note, jasmine can sometimes smell sour, but the honey is tempering that. I'm not getting any other notes. This is nice to try, but not for me.

sadly for me, the jasmine blasted practically all the other lovely notes out of existence from start to finish. the honey had tempered the jasmine so that it doesn't edge towards poop (as other jasmine-based perfumes do), but it was still way too much jasmine for my taste.

I get jasmine, raspberries, and tart wine. No honey or sandalwood. The jasmine is taking a backseat to the raspberries. There aren't a lot of raspberry scents out there, so I appreciate that this blend is really a showcase for the sweet, cheery raspberry note.