Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gwydion

Tarantula Fascinator

Done and done: fuzzy cacao-drenched hazelnut with hay absolute, black pepper, and nutmeg, laced with stripes of wild plum and white sandalwood.

In the decant vial, I see globules of dark cocoa swimming in golden oil.

On my skin, I get mostly cacao, with background notes of sandalwood and hazelnut. No plum at all. Reminds me a lot of Velvet.

I like it but I probably have enough chocolatey blends at the moment!

Oh my word, this is wonderful.

This is Ferrero Rocher chocolates with a plummy undertone. The staying power and throw are both excellent. I get the 'fuzzy' element and the hint of dry spice from the pepper and sandalwood. Not getting any hay.

This is a very sophisticated and delightful chocolate perfume that would be very playful and sensual on either a man or a woman. Just beautiful.

This really does smell fuzzy somehow. It goes on as lots of rich, sweet cocoa absolute with hints of powdery sandalwood, dark plum, dry hay, and something like warm fur.
The plum has gotten pretty strong in this with age, and I don't get any of the spices anymore. The drydown is tart, rich, dark, fruity plum with rich cocoa and a background of powdery, woody, furry, warm tones.
It's a really good, dark plum and cocoa fragrance, warm and exotic, and I feel like the scent really does match the picture of that Tarantula Fascinator eerily well.

I love all of these notes, and I love the name, and I love Lilith scents in general, so it was inevitable that I was going to end up with this!

Wet: Beautiful! It's gourmand and floral at the same time. I think the hay/black pepper/nutmeg are combining to give me a floral, perfumey feel that I just love with the chocolate and plum. It's yummy, and it's sophisticated at the same time. The neatest scent is wafting up from my arm. This is way better than I anticipated.

Dry: Love love love this! It's beautiful and perfumey from the hay (I love hay on my skin so much!) and fruity from the plum. It has spice and richness from the chocolate. Just lovely! I may eventually need another bottle. <3

Woody cocoa powder. Reads "cozy" but not "warm" so fuzzy is a good descriptor! On skin, the cacao has a touch of bitterness, and the base of hay keeps it from being foodie. Overall, though, this one is a gentle, chocolate-and-fruit-tinged scent. A subtle crowd-pleaser rather than a standout, in my opinion.

This is a huge comfort scent for me. Old-school BPAL black plum is what made me buy this and it's delightfully what I get the most of. Here it smells almost like plum oudh with its lushly purple musky velvet, but it's given such cuddly friends in Tarantula Fascinator. Cacao is the other prominent note upfront, but it reminds me of a sweet patchouli more than a chocolate. It's resinously sweet. Gorgeous.

The fuzziness comes out deliciously in the hay, always a favorite of mine when twirled around a gourmand, and the nutmeg. Plum and nutmeg together takes me immediately to A Savage Veil, but here it's bb goth rather than club goth. It's interesting, because while Tarantula is truly fantastically blended and even more fantastically aged into a mature and many-layered experience, it has an innocence and childlikeness that keeps it from leaning too serious, where the perfume nature of hay and sandalwood could potentially go. This is fun and cozy and yes, furry.

Hazelnut in perfume seems to lean scratchy for me, but not here. It's so smooth, like a hazelnut coffee. The black pepper is truly just a pinch. It keeps things cheeky and bright, somehow part of the playfulness without standing out in the blend. If you're wondering how such disparate notes play together, I can only just marvel at how Beth's mind works and say that this gives me sort of indie coffeehouse vibes. There's spices, there's sweets in the air, there's hazelnut coffee brewing, and plenty of plush couches and throws to cuddle up with.

Buy this if you can't get enough of the plum from A Savage Veil and want something sweet, brown, musky, and very lovable.