Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Rapture

Sensual ecstasy, the blinding red fire of the apex of sexual pleasure: Moroccan rose, Sumatran rose, mandarin, Egyptian myrrh, night-blooming jasmine, bergamot and neroli thrust into Arabian musk.

Very fresh and clean and pretty, all sweet white jasmine and sharp bergamot at the start. My friend said Rapture reminded them of laundry soap, and I have to agree; the crispness of the bergamot and the floral freshness of the jasmine come together to make me think of clean, neatly folded linen. It's a lovely laundry soap, though! Not a gallon bottle of Tide, but a jar of homemade laundry soap with dried flower petals and curls of orange peel mixed in.

It gets sweeter as it dries down, and I think that's the mandarin coming forward more. The extra sweetness makes it smell a bit less like laundry, but never takes it into candied / fruity territory. Rapture is clean and light all the way to the end, just warmer and sweeter, like a sundress going from freshly laundered to being worn out to a picnic on a sunny day.

Though I don't think they actually smell all that similar, the feeling it evokes makes me think of a less prim, more exuberant Endymion. They both have that tidy femme feeling to me, the one that makes me imagine fluttering lace curtains and freshly cut flowers. Where Endymion would wear a pencil skirt and a subtle pinky-brown lipstick, though, Rapture would probably choose a swishy sundress and a brighter pink lipgloss.

This one isn't for me, but if sweet, fresh florals are your thing, I think it's definitely worth a try.

Edited by conflagrantThief

In the imp: Mandarin with some higher notes (possibly florals and/or neroli) cutting the sweetness just a bit. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's pure mandarin. As it dries, I get a tickle of something that is not mandarin (and not orange, I think) around the edges of the scent. I'm inclined to think it's one or more of the roses, but at this stage, it's vague enough that I could well be wrong. Approximately thirty minutes after application, something emerges with a faintly soapy note, which might be one of the roses here. The soapy stage doesn't last long, however, and we're back to a predominantly sweet orange perfume that might be helped along by some of the floral notes. 

After about an hour, I can detect both the rose -- now becoming prominent -- and the myrrh -- as a base note -- distinctly, though the orange notes are also still present. 

Edit: The next morning, it's still detectable on my skin, now as a lovely three dimensional rose. The rose note is front and center, accented by the citrus, which makes it smell fresh, and grounded by the musk and myrrh. I'm not often a rose person, but this is particularly lovely -- and the orange phase the scent goes through to get there is lovely as well. 

Edited by torischroeder9

STRONGLY floral and sweet.  I get lots of orange and orange blossom and heady jasmine at first.  The jasmine is intense, but it's nice.  Sometimes the note goes chemical on me.  I'm not getting a distinct rose smell, but I think its obscured by the other notes, mainly the orange which is still very potent.  I'm getting the smell of the peel.  

The rose does become detectable once the orange calms down, but jasmine is the floral that reigns.  The myrrh and musk serve more to bind the other notes, and don't smell prominent to me.   I'd have to be in a very specific mood to wear this one.  It's so unapologetically heady - like Jezebel on steroids.  That orange is very nice up front though, and if you if you really like jasmine ....

Edited by VetchVesper

My first sniff without notes was lily of the valley with a little soft lemon.  This is a powdery, sweet, cool white scent.  I think the most prominent notes on me are the jasmine (being demure for once), myrrh, neroli, and a little bergamot.  This is an innocent, pretty spring scent for me.  

I was expecting a rosy Hunger here given the white florals, but weirdly -- because they share no notes in common -- Rapture reminds me most of Lyonesse. It's a citrusy rose to start off with, and doesn't play nice on me; it smells a bit like a bathroom air freshener. After about an hour this becomes a rosy musk, much like Lyonesse becomes a lightly floral musk. I don't get much jasmine at all.