Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Usagi

Great Vampire Bat

I commissioned a decant of this.

In the vial: A flat orchidy note, but with a hint of spicy sweetness in it. No impression of incense. Appealing.

Wet: Much waftier now, more of a throw than most. Reminiscent of lily. Reminds me a bit of the floral note in Iambe, also.

One hour: A very pleasant soft round orchidy scent. I can see why so many people are screaming about this one.

Three hours: Beautiful orchid note that seems, if anything, to be intensifying the longer it's on me.

I would definitely get a bottle of this if I could find one. But since they're scarcer than hen's teeth, I'm going to hoard my decant and wear it very sparingly.

This is exactly as described and it stayed the same from bottle till it dried and then flew away. Lovely and grown up. Orchid is one of the few florals that doesn't start the instant floral migraine. As lovely as it is I am not really a floral gal. Of to the sister, she will adore this.

I had written this off because of the mentions of green and aquatic, both do horrible things with my skin chemistry. But I'm a sucker for orchids, so I had to try this.

I am soooo glad I did! This is an amazing, heady, slightly spicy orchid with a haze of incense. It's not green in a soapy way on my skin, and the incense doesn't go powdery on me. It's exactly what I had hoped for.

Surprisingly dry incense right off the bat. Whirling, smoky incense. Like a forest fire rather than a jungle. Smelling this actually makes me thirsty. This smells almost like… crackers? I DON’T KNOW, OK? So, all right then. Smoky incense and crackers. The “jungle flower” scent comes out a little more on my skin, but for the most part the incense still dominates. It's all just too bone-dry for me, though it's certainly an interesting one.

Lucky to receive a frimp from a recent order with a smidgen of this lovely blend remaining.  Enough for two good wears.

I feel very fortunate to be trying this oil so long after its initial release, because I believe that age has most likely enriched it, based on the reviews from years past I'm seeing here.

Right away I could smell the rich orchid and a slight undertone of vanilla - it IS an orchid pod, after all - and the resin scented, smoky overlay of traditional incenses.  On my skin the flower scent opened and deepened as the oil breathed.  The incense warms and strengthens the floral, providing a delightful base note.  The sultry hothouse floral notes never reached any degree of being overwhelming or cloying, which in my mind is the gold standard of any floral perfume.

I am so so sad that this scent isn't available any longer, because I adore it.  My ritual space at one point was in the sun room where I keep all of my orchids and tropical plants, and this perfume evokes memories of walking past that space to the kitchen on the morning after I performed a ritual.  Hours later the rich scents of frankincense, myrrh, benzoin and copal lingered alongside the scents thrown by the orchids, of which there are so many that they seem to be in a perpetual state of bloom.

Good memories.

I grabbed this off the Lab's Etsy site when it appeared, as I never looked for a fairy way back when. It seemed to be the perfect scent for my memories of my recent trip to NOLA, and my bottle arrived two days after I returned home.

What a lovely scent! This is a lovely floral incense. The notes are very well-mingled by this time, and the jungle orchid gives the incense the perfect touch. The incense is just dark and smoky enough to swirl around and envelop the orchid. In other words, you can't really distinguish one from the other, but the sum of the parts is a beautiful perfume. I love the earlier reviews mentioning The Mayfair Witches, as that is one of my favorite books and I loved seeing the house that inspired Ann Rice on my recent trip. 

Great new scent memory is made. 🖤🦇🖤

The orchid in this is stunning when freshly applied, and the incense comes out with wear. The lush orchid scent doesn't last terribly long but it's so so good. Does go a bit powdery for me.