Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
milo

Ides of March 2012

The Ides marked an auspicious time in the Roman calendar. Depending on the month in question, the Ides fell on the thirteenth or fifteenth, and usually marked the Full Moon. As we all know, it was not an auspicious day for Julius Caesar, nor was it fortuitous for H.P. Lovecraft, who also met his maker on this infamous day. Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi!

A mixture of springtime greenery and classical Roman cologne: rosemary, bergamot, lemon rind and vervain with costus, benzoin, coriander, rosewood, gray amber, cardamom, white narcissus, dark musk, and iris.

This is the 2012 version. I'm getting a TAL vibe, kind of a sour floral. After a bit, LOTS of lemon with herbs. Actually this is basically herbal tea with lemon. Not my style, still very TAL like. Edited by milo

In the bottle: A few florals, but lots of herbs, a touch masculine.

Wet: The benzoin and musks have come forward, and this has sweetened up, but not in a foodie way.

The dry-down: Very herbal, a bit grassy, not very lemony, thank goodness. One of those scents that is very well-blended that makes it difficult to pick out notes. Certainly a morpher. A nice, fresh, and refreshing scent for spring, perfect for anyone.

Bergamot, lemon, coriander, with wisps of rosewood, basil and rosemary. This is an herby blend, splash of cologne. The iris note seems to float about it, and I occasionally get whiffs of it.

This one smells more like a 'purpose' blend, as opposed to just a perfume.

wow, this is a mega morpher. when first applied it's what i'd hoped it would be - a sort of brain tonic smell, all citrus and rosemary. then it sort of fades out for a bit - it doesn't have much throw at the beginning, but at this point it really quiets down - and i just get this faint hint of sweet florals when i inhale deeply right up against my wrist. but then it deepens a bit and comes back to life as a very soft, quiet honeyed vanilla on top of ever-so-slightly-powdery amber. at this stage it reminds me of some commercial perfumes that i enjoy enough to be okay with in this quiet amount. now it's died down to the subtlest hint of fragrance and has turned into vanilla laser tag. ...

all in all it's an interesting, very pretty ride. i'm not sorry that i didn't get a chance to buy a bottle, but i'm sure eventually my imp will get used up.

All of the Ides of March scents have slight variations, but tend to smell very similar on me (like a mix of soap, men's cologne, lemon and maybe some darker musk or florals). This one is closest to the 05 and 09 versions, heavy on the greenery/herbs, lemon, and a sour, sharp, perfumey floral (the iris, I think). All wrapped up in a clean/soapy feel. Not something that I find very wearable...

ITB: Resinous and floral are my first impressions. It smells a tad like a fougere, but I can certainly pick up the benzoin, amber, lemon rind, and cardamom.

Wet: Oh yes, that lemon rind is strong on my skin. It's followed by the rosemary, rosewood, bergamot, musk, amber, and cardamom. It's dark and alluring, while still being bright. It's certainly an interesting combination of notes.

Dry: Delicious once dried. I'm adoring the resinous nature of the benzoin mixed with the amber, musk, light lemon, rosewood, and a touch of coriander. It's just lovely!

This is so different from the previous Ides of March incarnations. The blend reads on my skin as a delicious mix of dark musk and amber, up to the point that it's reminiscent of Haunted, but not as sweet and sensual.