Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lilithsnake6

Dank Tarn of Auber Bath Oil

DANK TARN OF AUBER BATH OIL
A gloomy, morose soak. Bog bean, oakmoss, bog myrtle, water hyssop, calla lily, water snowflake, bulrush, and marsh marigold swirling in dark, still water.

I've only done two other reviews (both bath oils) so forgive me if this one is confusing, I'm not great at picking out scent notes. I thought this would smell darkly aquatic but this doesn't smell anything like that to me. I think what I'm smelling is the oakmoss. This smells spicy, warm and dark. If I had to guess without the description, I would say it smells like a lighter version of Spanked Revisited- very spicy like cinnamon/cardamom, very warming, a touch of some white floral and maybe some patchouli (but that could just be the spice/warm thing again. It's very strong on my skin, I'm not even sure I would use it as a moisturizer but I seriously can't wait to bathe in it.

Ok, so after writing that I reapplied to my hand... I really get that white floral on contact and then the spice/warm takes over on the drydown... yep, I'm going to say it's Spanked Revisited w/o any leather but plus white florals

Dank Tarn of Auber Bath Oil - I agree 100% with the previous reviewer. This is nothing like what I expected. It reminds me a lot of Spanked without the leather. I haven't used it in the tub so far, but used it as a body moisturizer. The scent lasted all day, and it was warm and rich and absolutely amazing. I can't reconcile the scent listing with the fragrance I smell at all -- I don't smell much in the way of florals. I smell tons of oakmoss, patchouli, and some spicy notes, along with something a bit heavier, almost mossy. It layers gorgeously with Fetish.Goth and with Spanked. I can't wait to use it in a bath.

As the previous reviewers have said.. this is nothing like what I expected. I don't know what I expected really though.. I guess I was more focused on the 'bog' elements, and the 'Dank' of the name, so I figured this bath oil was going to smell like some sort of murky pond or dark bog.

But nope - it's really not dank or boggy or murky at all.. it's lovely! There's certainly some dark, bog-like elements here.. the oakmoss is particularly prominent, and there's a lovely dark/damp forest-like vibe about the fragrance, but what makes this bath oil really sing is the smooth waxiness of the calla lily (truly a stand-out here, anyone who loves the calla lily smell must try this!) and the bright golden soft-sweetness of the marigold. There's also a slight hint of spice in here somewhere. This actually reminds me a lot of the smell of California Poppy hair oil (is that stuff even still around?!?) - it's warm, snuggly, rich and voluptuous, with a golden sweetness.

Over time, the lily becomes the most obvious note on my skin.. but that's OK - it's just such a lovely smell, one of the few florals I can tolerate in my perfumes, and it's balanced nicely here by the darker notes so it never crosses the line into FLORAL territory.

I think this would have been a huge hit if it had been more widely released - I'm guessing by the lack of reviews that a lot of people passed it over because of the name/description.. but really, it's just so much better than I was expecting. I only have a little decant of it, but if I see this for sale I'm going to snap it up!

Thank you to Absinthetics for the tester!!

I had wanted to try this, and snagged a bottle from the Etsy site...glad I did!

I used this in the tub last night, and it was SO good. It took me a minute or so to figure out what this reminded me of: Flor de Muerto! I love the perfume oil (it is definitely Marigolds...pretty spot on too) and now I have something to layer it with. :wub2: I didn't expect such a lovely comforting scent, but it was one of the most relaxing baths I have ever taken. I did smell a bit of a Patchouli undertone, but not much...it was mostly Marigold, and that's just fine with me. This is GOOD stuff.

Apparently I can't spell Marigold...it came out Mariglold! :)

Edited by Herb Girl

Okay, obviously that Dank kinda changes from BPALista to BPALista.... but I got something more along the lines of sunshinedaisybliss.

Mainly to me, this smelled like calla lilies, oak moss and some of the more 'boggy' elements. And boggy, I mean, this smelled like a deep pool of water in the English country side. Your own personal pool of water, magical fairies not included (but potentially there). It smelled deep, watery, and lightly floral. It never really crosses the line into FLORAL, but softens it enough so that the darker elements don't make it too masculine, spooky, or [insert some deep dark mysterious adjective here].

For me, it was like MAGICAL WATER. Like I said, you found a mystical pool and now you're bathing in it.

I wish I liked this as much as everyone else.

It is just straight up too perfumey for me. I expected more of HERE THERE BE BOG with lots of green notes, but I got very high-pitched white florals that just about wear me out with their intensity. I'm just not a white florals kind of girl.