Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

RPG Combos

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab’s RPG scent series was designed to emulate the character creation process, and are meant to be layered in order to create a character concept. In short: you layer your class, race, and the two fragrances that compose your alignment to construct your character scent.

The RPG scents are designed to be layered! Are you a Neutral Good Half-Elf Ranger? Are you a Chaotic Evil Orc Mage? Whatever combination you try on, this is the place to review it! (Please note that nonreview comments and questions are still off-topic here and will be moved.)

I began my RPG quest yesterday, as a Good (sugary acacia), Elf (woody meadow), Paladin (soft leather). My aroma was so delicious, I almost cut my head off with my own sword while trying to sniff my wrist during battle!

Today, I was a Lawful (OMG!!! so friggin' fantastic! Rhubarb, oak and chamomile - who knew?), Mage (mmmm, frankincense) Elf. Again, I was overwhelmed by the beauty emanating from my wrists! As I rode my silver Arabian (1998 Plymouth Voyager) to the Caverns of Cazahl (work), I felt wrapped in an exquisite cloud of protection (BPAL).

May I add that Beth is a genius. :bow: My imaginary world is now complete.

So glad to see this thread! :joy:

Seriously...EVIL Is the way to go. I am an Evil Fighter some days. :lol: Others...EVIL fighter dwarf! On those days I want to feel elfish, I am a half-elf fighter with a dash of EVIL. And others I am a Half-elf, Paladin, with a dash of EVIL. Beth is a genius to come up with such an amazing scent. I literally love the smell of evil! :twisted:

I'm curious as to what technique others are using to layer these. I'm putting them seperately on one arm/hand (say, Chaotic on the back of my hand, Halfling on my wrist, Cleric further up my arm) so I can enjoy them one at a time - and blending them together on my other hand. EVERY combo I've tried thus far is gorgeous.

I agree with Dark Alice - Evil ROCKS. (as does Lawful...Neutral...Mage...Halfling...ok all of them). :yum:

Edited by loverstreet

I'm curious as to what technique others are using to layer these. I'm putting them seperately on one arm/hand (say, Chaotic on the back of my hand, Halfling on my wrist, Cleric further up my arm) so I can enjoy them one at a time - and blending them together on my other hand. EVERY combo I've tried thus far is gorgeous.

I agree with Dark Alice - Evil ROCKS. (as does Lawful...Neutral...Mage...Halfling...ok all of them). :yum:

I put a line of perfume from my decants on the area I apply to and then rub them together. :blush: Not very scientific...but it works.

Today..Neutral Dwarf. Never thought it would work...but Neutral skin musk with the dwarf leather is awesome! :joy:

I'm not the layering type, but since these are meant to be layered, I figured I may as well try it. :)

My first experiment: Fighter + Ranger. Yes, I know, that would be a dual-class character and I don't have an affiliation at all. But I'm not a gamer, so I don't care. :lol:

Verdict: This smells awesome. I was hoping for some noticeable leather in Ranger, but didn't get more than a light touch of it, so adding Fighter to the mix fixes that problem. I end up with a soft leather and woods scent that blends seamlessly. I tend to like the combination with a little more Fighter than Ranger, so it's not an equal mix. Maybe 60/40 instead of 50/50.

My second experiment: Fighter + Ranger + Good. I didn't really think I was going to love it because (for me) the sweet, delicate honey in Good just doesn't seem like it would work with the intense woodsiness of Ranger.

Verdict: I'm not liking this, although I can see it working for someone else. It just clashes to my nose. Something about the femininity of Good combined with the gender neutral/masculineness of Ranger and Fighter just doesn't mesh for me. It's like wearing honey-vanilla-floral perfume in the woods while wearing a broken in leather jacket. If that's your thing, then you'll like this combination. But it's not for me.

I'll try more combinations soon. This is fun, although I'm not sure I'd layer these routinely just because I'm lazy. :blush:

I'm not the layering type, but since these are meant to be layered, I figured I may as well try it. :)

My first experiment: Fighter + Ranger. Yes, I know, that would be a dual-class character and I don't have an affiliation at all. But I'm not a gamer, so I don't care. :lol:

Verdict: This smells awesome. I was hoping for some noticeable leather in Ranger, but didn't get more than a light touch of it, so adding Fighter to the mix fixes that problem. I end up with a soft leather and woods scent that blends seamlessly. I tend to like the combination with a little more Fighter than Ranger, so it's not an equal mix. Maybe 60/40 instead of 50/50.

My second experiment: Fighter + Ranger + Good. I didn't really think I was going to love it because (for me) the sweet, delicate honey in Good just doesn't seem like it would work with the intense woodsiness of Ranger.

Verdict: I'm not liking this, although I can see it working for someone else. It just clashes to my nose. Something about the femininity of Good combined with the gender neutral/masculineness of Ranger and Fighter just doesn't mesh for me. It's like wearing honey-vanilla-floral perfume in the woods while wearing a broken in leather jacket. If that's your thing, then you'll like this combination. But it's not for me.

I'll try more combinations soon. This is fun, although I'm not sure I'd layer these routinely just because I'm lazy. :blush:

I had the same problem with Good. It clashes with the leather in fighter, dwarf, and Paladin. Try Neutral with them and see what you get.

Still playing with RPGs. Good with Half Elf....definite pass. The honey note in good just clashes on my skin with the leather of Half Elf. *sigh* It's definitive...Good is going off to the swaps. :evil:

Dark Alice read my mind. Neutral was next on my list of layering additions. :D

More layering combination reviews:

Paladin + Neutral: I love Paladin on its own but I find Neutral a little bit on the sharp and powdery side. I'm curious to see how they play together.

The verdict: Not bad, but not a combination I see myself repeating. Neutral just doesn't really add much of anything to the mix, but it does tone down the vanilla. I like Paladin better on its own.

---

Fighter + Neutral.: Same as Paladin. I love Fighter on its own and in combination with Ranger. I don't think it needs any skin musk added, but it's worth a shot.

The verdict: Again, Neutral doesn't seem to add much of anything. Especially since Fighter already has musk in it. I don't think I'll be repeating this one.

---

Ranger + Neutral:

The verdict: Oddly enough, Neutral actually does add something here. The musk tones down the intensity of the pine in Ranger. It's a subtle change but I like it enough that I would repeat it. I think I may like Ranger better with Neutral than on its own. :)

---

Fighter + Ranger + Neutral:

The verdict: This one's a winner, too, although the difference between this and just Fighter + Ranger isn't very noticeable. I get soft leather, deep woods and clean skin. I may or may not actually wear them like this.

I'm working my way up to Chaotic Neutral Half-Elf Ranger but have just got as far as Chaotic Neutral so far. I love both scents on their own, but together they are some kind of awesome. There's a sweet, fresh undertone (Neutral) with a spicy, nearly herbal top note (Chaotic) that blends together very nicely - in some ways it's similar in feel to another scent - possibly Schwarzer Mond, but minus some of the darker notes? There's definitely something it reminds me of, but boy is it goooood.

Beth is a genius!

I agree about the combo of Neutral + Chaotic. Delicious.

More that were particularly gorgeous:

Neutral + Elf + Mage = Musky Berries and Incense

Neutral + Rogue + Cleric = Musky Hempy Leather and Incense

Lawful + Elf + Cleric = Leafy Berries and Incense

Chaotic + Halfling = Yummy spicy Porridge!

Evil + Dwarf = SEXY

I'm so impressed by these. Everything I've tried is fabulous. :wub2:

Rogue + Ranger (again with the dual-class scent combinations, I know, I know)

The verdict: - I did a roughly 60/40 mix here because I wanted more Rogue than Ranger to let the leather shine through. I love this. It's similar to Fighter + Ranger, but with the hemp adding a slightly sweet greenness to the mix. I think I may actually prefer this to Fighter + Ranger.

Theoretically, I should be trying Neutral, Good, Elf and Ranger together to get "my" combination, but I don't see it happening. I find that Good clashes with Ranger and I don't even have Elf to try. But I'm having fun mixing up other combos. I was never into layering before, but it's kind of fun to play mad scientist, even if I do love the scents as stand-alones. :)

ETA: Typo. Just now noticing it. :blush:

Edited by Penance

So Neutral on its own is a soft, white floral on me, instead of the skin musk I was so eagerly looking for (and which usually does so well on me). So tonight I decided to try layering.

Neutral + Ranger: Ranger's so amazing by itself, I had to try these together, and as soon as I added a line of Ranger to the Neutral I was already wearing, the florals morphed into the musk I'd been craving and the Ranger got even more intoxicating in its warm foresty love.

Neutral + Half-Elf + Ranger: I almost expected Half-Elf to soften this some, given how it was on its own. But it sharpens it instead. The notes are clearer. It feels more alert. And really, I could sit here and sniff my arm all night long.

I considered adding Good to the mix, but decided I like this and want to enjoy it for awhile. I can make the Neutral Good Half-Elven Ranger some other time. ;)

I have been rocking the Chaotic Evil Halfling Ranger and it is wonderful! Warm and slightly sweet. Except for that one time I put on too much Chaotic and the scent was overpowering and perfumey in the give-me-a-headache sort of way.

Yesterday I tried Paladin + Neutral = Sweet musky soft leather. Generally, Neutral tends to sweeten up anything I blend with it.

I got my RPG imps yesterday. I put on Paladin, and I was instantly in love with the shining leathery-ness. The I said, "What the heck!" and layered a bit of Lawful over it. The oak and chamomile blended so beautifully with the leather.

Wow. It was delicious. I want to be a Lawful Paladin all the time if I get to smell like this!

Just got my RPGs. The first thing I've done was try Elf. Now, I got to try Elf before it was released. Probably like 6 months ago. But what was eventually released was not what I got to try. It seems as though I will forever be chasing that Elf. =/ (Typical!)

So my combination I have been dying to try has been:

Lawful Evil Elf Rogue -- Unfortunately, there's nothing feminine about it. My concept of a lithe, sexy, elf ninja/assassin doesn't smell like this. So sad! For the most part leather kind of overpowers everything. Which I was afraid of. But it just amps up and makes the pine scent in this Elf just go crazy. I smell like some sort of cleaning product. Medicinal at best.

I guess I'll have to wait for there to be a 'drow' scent.

I will say though, it's getting better as it dries down, a little more feminine. The combination may have dragged out some of the ambers. Though there is a babypowderyness something sweet is coming out. I think Lawful is starting to poke out of the blend.

Edited by Absinthetics

Halfling Mage - from the very first sniff i really like this. Mage tends to go powdery on me, but mixed with the sweetness of Halfling, it works for me. As it dries down, the pastry is the most upfront note.

I really like this combination :)

Starting to try out my newest acquisitions (Dwarf, Halfling and Chaotic) and decided to start out with...

Halfling + Chaotic: This sounded like a strange combination (oatmeal cookies + fruity musk?), but I was curious. At first it was definitely strange. The berry-like scent of the rooibos in Chaotic worked fine with the oatmeal cookie smell of Halfling (although it wasn't really a combination that I would get much wear out of), but the musk wasn't really working with the spicy cookies. Once they dried, though, everything melded and the combination turned into a sweeter, spicier version of Chaotic on its own.

The verdict: These smell pretty good together once they've had a chance to mesh together, but I'm not sure if I'll be wearing them as a combo. I like Chaotic well enough on its own that it doesn't need the extra sweetness and spice from Halfling. I feel a bit like Halfling just gets lost in the mix, although it might not if I didn't do a 50/50 mix.

So when talk of the RPGs was going around, someone posted like a quiz to find out what character you were. I got chaotic evil human ranger. So of course this was the first combo I tried.

Wet: Chaotic is overpowering and making this sweet musky, like the candy, which I can't stand. I'm a little worried about this!

Dry: The leather comes out, but none of the opium. Musky leathery with a slight tang in the back ground. Nice but not sure I'd wear it again. Good thing I just got imps!

Something made me try Neutral and Half-Elf today. So glad I followed my instinct. At first neutral was heavy on the skin musk...almost cologney but the berry and leather in Half-elf balance it out to give it a nice warm skin musk/berry flavor. I just love this and will be wearing it again. :D

Oh wow, I'm so glad these are made for layering! I'm wearing Chaotic Good Half-Elf Paladin, and there's a MAJOR improvement in how Half-Elf and Paladin smell. Which is awesome, because individually, those two were horrible. With this blend, I'm getting a spicy, sweet floral with hints of chemical-leather and a bit of cigarette smoke, like you might get in a big city. Awesome!

Chaotic Neutral is an amazing combination. Both scents are beautiful musks, so naturally they would go together. The hot, fiery, deep musks and spices of Chaotic are softened by the clean floral musk in Neutral, but also the springy freshness of Neutral is given a kick by Chaotic, it’s revved up and made a little more rebellious. However I think the Neutral picks out more of the rooibos and heliotrope notes in Chaotic, highlights them nicely. The scents blend well and there’s a good balance of both scents-I smell equal amounts of both scents.

I just got my first RPG bottle (Rogue) the other day! Mmmmmm, leather! Well, I don't have any of the other RPG scents, so I decided to layer it with a GC scent today and the first one I thought would be nice was Sin. OMG! They go together AMAZINGLY! Hee hee! Sinful Rogue! It actually reminded me almost exactly of Loviatar, only better! Sweet, musky, with a hint of the leather that makes Bow and Crown of Conquest amazing! :yum:

Just got my first three bottles, and layered Half-Elf, Neutral, and Paladin.

(each one applied evenly) At first, I got a sweet, woodsy, leathery scent that was awesome. Later, the armor from Paladin stomped all over everything.

(slightly more Half-Elf, way less Paladin, same amount of Neutral) Perfect. Woodsy, sweet skin musk, a hint of leather which morphs into a slight bit of armor later.

I combined equal parts Good, Elf, and Paladin. :thud: It's a sweet, floral leather with something refreshing and almost citrus underneath. Delicious.