Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Batgirl

Bridal BPAL - BPAL for weddings?

I just got my first BPAL shipment, and I looooove these fragrances! I'm getting married in July and I thought wearing BPAL would be nice, especially since so many of the BPAL scents have meanings. Can anyone recommend a nice wedding scent, particularly one that might bring my fiance and I good luck/health/happiness and all that other good stuff in the future?

i'm not sure the length and time involved in doing a personal scent consultation, but it would be so special if elizabeth could make a scent, specifically for you, for your big day :P

I am curious about recommendations for this too (getting married 03 Sept 2005 :P ). I was going to save for a custom scent for the day but on top of all the other things I have to save for I might not be able to afford it.

I'm planning on getting a custom scent for our wedding (it's ages away, so there's no hurry at all!) but of the scents I've tried, Rose Red or Unseelie would make lovely wedding day scents.

You know, the custom scent thing was the first thing I thought of! I'm just not so sure I can justify spending over $100 on it with all the other expenses...hmmm....must consider...

I know this has come up before, but has anyone done a personal consultation? I'm just so afraid I would spend all that money and not like my scent.

I know this has come up before, but has anyone done a personal consultation?  I'm just so afraid I would spend all that money and not like my scent.

thats how I feel. Plus, I'm not exactly sure what scents are good on me.

One of the things you could do with a custom scent is order a bottle for your bridesmaids gifts as well.

I was thinking the other day that the imps ears would make great party favors or thank yous. I'm thinking about ordering a couple of dozen imps of snake oil to give out as quick thank yous to people.

Just my 2 cents...I've been married twice, both times by the justice of the peace...planning a wedding was way too stressful...lol

Lisa in Austin

I would think with all the stress an actual wedding could create, I would pick something you personally find soothing or uplifting. I've never been big on "special occasion" scents though (I wear whatever I want whenever I want, regardless if it seems appropriate or not :P) so that's all the advice I can offer!

Rose Red ... would make lovely wedding day scents.
Oooh yes, Rose Red would be lovely! But my bottle will have gone off by then :D

One of the things you could do with a custom scent is order a bottle for your bridesmaids gifts as well
That is a lovely idea :P I forgot about Bridesmaid gifts - luckily I only have the one then! :D

I would think with all the stress an actual wedding could create, I would pick something you personally find soothing or uplifting.
That is very good advice. If I couldn't afford a custom scent I am tempted to go with good old Snake Oil. My favourite.

"Ingenue" really reminds me of a wedding day/bridal scent and although I haven't actually tried them, "Veil," "Hymn," and "Seraphim" strike me as great selections for bridal scents.

As for the bridesmaids, let them visit the website and offer to purchase any scent of their choice for them as a gift.

I was thinking the other day that the imps ears would make great party favors or thank yous.

you are SO right! for an autumn wedding - three witches would be so fantastic!!!

Veil sounds like a good idea (via the name) but this is one strong, weird scent. It's very frightening, like walking through a moldy old mansion. I need to try it on, of course, to see how it is on drydown, but the smell coming out of the bottle really freaked me out and made me jumpy and unsettled for the rest of the night.

Don't go by the name - instead I'd try to get a bunch of imps ears and try them out to see what makes you feel glamorous or beautiful or calm and radiant or however you want to feel on your wedding day. You've got time - go through the ones that you have so far and see what aspects of them you like, do some swaps, then order a slew of imps ears of things that you think will match with you. Have a bunch to choose from by the time your wedding day rolls around - you never know what scent might feel "right" when you're having such an important event.

Depends on the kind of wedding you are planning to have. Hymn is the scent that leaps to my mind (mostly because I'm crazy about it right now!) but if you're having, say, an outdoor autumn wedding, that might not work so well. There's nothing wrong with good old Snake Oil, either! Order up a bunch of samples and see which ones make you feel magical. It's the only way to know for sure what you like and what works best on you.

Veil sounds like a good idea (via the name) but this is one strong, weird scent.  It's very frightening, like walking through a moldy old mansion.  I need to try it on, of course, to see how it is on drydown, but the smell coming out of the bottle really freaked me out and made me jumpy and unsettled for the rest of the night.

That scent sounds right up my alley; I've got to try it next time I send in an order! :P

And having Imp's Ears as party favors sounds like a brilliant idea ~ you could put a few gender-neutral ones in a little basket in the middle of the table or if you know who is sitting where place one you think they might like as a place setting. Having them as favors would sure beat those damn little bells you see wedding after wedding.

And having Imp's Ears as party favors sounds like a brilliant idea ~ you could put a few gender-neutral ones in a little basket in the middle of the table or if you know who is sitting where place one you think they might like as a place setting.  Having them as favors would sure beat those damn little bells you see wedding after wedding.

On the good side, I can see guests running around to different tables and negotiating with folks they probably wouldn't have had reason to speak to otherwise, swapping scents and starting conversations.

On the bad side, considering how much trouble some people having opening Imps Ears without sloshing the oil all over everthing, I'm thinking that wherever the reception is had better have good ventilation. oofah.

My fiance, Brian, and I are planning a Midsummer Night's Dream wedding--no, not this Midsummer, which would be only a week away!--it'll be a year or two off, after I finish grad school and we can save up, etc. BUT it's never too early to start planning (you should see the size of my wedding planner!) and I want to start testing scents that will help set the right mood for everyone in the wedding party (I'm thinking they would make nice little mementos).

Here's the thing: it's going to be a VERY non-traditional wedding, loosely inspired by Shakespeare but encompassing all our favorite fantasy elements. All the guests will be in costume, but they get to interpret the theme as they wish--we're expecting everything from Renaissance Festival clothes to Goths, and my wedding gown is pale green rather than white, because I don't feel like a Woodfairy in white!!!

Obviously I'm going to get imps of the Illyria scents that directly relate to Midsummer Night's Dream--Oberon, Titania, and Puck. I want to try Fae as a possibility for my maidens, and I already have some of La Belle Dame sans Merci ("I met a lady in the woods/ Full beautiful, a faery's child"). Is there anything else that seems especially suited to fairies or, more generally, to outdoor summer weddings? (the only explicity wedding-related scent on here seems to be Havisham, which would be very bad luck indeed!!!). The men are especially challenging--I can't see them being fairies, so they're probably wearing Druid robes, and a good Druidic scent would be ideal.

Thanks!!!

Cheers,

Laurel

Well, if you're going for a "loose" interpretation, how about satyr for the guys and queen mab for the girls?

PS I love oberon on me, let alone on a guy!

kcat

I can't think of anything right now, except Fae...as soon as I saw the title of your thread I thought it would be perfect on a fairy bride..that's if you like it of course! But it really does smell so ethereal. And Imp and Tamora too, could be great for a bride or the maidens, but I'm thinking more along the lines of how they smell, very lovely woodland fairy like, but the names might not suit. Can't think of anything for the boys at present, but look forward to seeing what you finally choose!!

Have you considered having Beth do a custom blend for your wedding? I know someone else mentioned that in another thread, but it might be a really special way to remember the day - every time you smelled it, you would be transported to your woodland fairy celebration!

Paperdoll, that's an amazing and excellent idea!

Beth would intensively interview you and your fiance and could bottle up the essence of the two of you and your wedding theme. You could order them as gifts or favors for your attendants and guests. It may be a little pricey, but after the initial $150, you can get 5ml bottles for $8.50 and decant them into imps and place them in a basket for everyone to take as they enter the ceremony. Everyone can apply this scent and the whole place will have the aura of this special blend.

Oh how I wish I knew about BPAL for my wedding. I would have done just that.

Ooo, excellent advice! I don't know why I didn't think of Cathedral...I have an imp of it, and it would be appropriate for our "outdoor cathedral" feel.

ViolentKitten, I definitely want to try Fae, and I think Imp would be perfectly appropriate for one or two of my more impish attendants...no blushing maidens here! :P

Paperdoll and Andrabell, that would be completely fabulous, to have our very own scent. I think what I may do is get imps of the suggested ones and see if they suit, and if none is quite right then I can add "Custom Blend" to the wedding budget and start saving...

Note: after reading the reviews on Puck, I don't think I will bother with it; not a big fan of civet. Oberon and Titania, however, both sound exactly as I hoped. I love getting everyone's input on this--there seem to be so many like-minded souls on here that I may start a thread under "Randomness" for any other cool fairy-wedding suggestions that aren't necessarily scent-related.

Cheers,

Laurel

Have you considered having Beth do a custom blend for your wedding? I know someone else mentioned that in another thread, but it might be a really special way to remember the day - every time you smelled it, you would be transported to your woodland fairy celebration!

I think that was me :P I'm hoping to get a custom scent done for the day... it's not going to be for a while, so I can save up :D