Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

A Howl In The Darkness

A scent evocative of a forest at midnight, with animalic brown musk, wild sage, Terebinth pine, black oak, and a chilly shock of terror personified by kunzea, cistus labdanum, verbena, juniper, metallic ozone, and white mint.

In the imp: A sweet pine.

Wet: The pine becomes loud, bitter, and sharp. But just as quickly, it backs down, returns to the sweetness that I sniffed before.

The dry-down: The brown musk didn't wear its stompy boots to this forest party, thank goodness! I know that this scent is just not pine, but it's one of those where everything blends well together, so much so that I can't pick out individual notes.

This was disappointing.....I really wanted to like it and it just doesn't work for me. The verbena seems to be the strongest note, or maybe the cistus is contributing to that herbal/citrus aspect. The mint is pretty strong and long-lasting, and I am getting the feel of the brown musk too. I already knew I don't really like brown musk or brown anything really, but I had to try this because the woods and herbs sounded nice (especially pine, a favorite note). But what happens is the scent smells like there are one or two notes too many, and it just never settles into something I like. It's not offensive, and really with all the verbena and stuff behind that, it reminds me of Nyarlathotep, which I like a lot more. I will keep wearing that and Wolf Moon '07 (I really wanted Howl In The Darkness to be like a deluxe Wolf Moon that I would fall in love with).

Edited by Forspecial Plate

ITB: Upon first sniff, I'm met with a complexity of both green and citrus scents. I can discern the white mint, verbena, juniper, some musk, and a slightly sweet scent rounding everything out. I don't smell any ozone and I'm thankful for that since ozone and I are not good friends at all.

Wet: Oak, mint, juniper, verbena, mint, a faint citrus, and just a touch of ozone, but not so much that it smells like cat pee on me. Let's hope it stays that way.

Dry: I get no ozone (thank goodness), but I'm left with a beautiful oaky, junipery, minty scent with an ever so faint sweetness to tame down the woods. Once dry, I'm adoring this scent. 5/5 from a green/woodsy scent lover.

Edited by mymymai

Imp: Ohh! Unexpected! Sweet pine, chilly mint and ozone.

Wet: Smells like a very nice men's shaving gel (that I happen to use sometimes). Very masculine due to the pine, fresh and a bit sweet due to the verbena and juniper, but also revitalizing and uplifting due to the mint and the ozone.

Dry: Still no musk. Pine, mint, ozone and citrus notes are dominant in this scent. Very nice on a man I think. Will keep this for mine. ;)

In bottle: Sharp almost stinging pine. I already want to bathe in this.

Wet: Woods and something chill and bright. It's a bit citrus, a bit minty, VERY ozoney and the most amazingly shuddery wood scent. It is completely nailing the theme and is blooming beautifully on my skin.

Drying: The citrusy ozone is actually making me shiver in the best way as it comes to the fore. The wood is really grounding it keeping the ozone from going to my head.

Dry: This is a very bright floral ozone on me. It has a slight muskiness and a depth from the quiet woods that keeps it from going to my head. The more it dries, the less screaming the ozone and floral are on me, but it always remains a sweet heady scent. I get wiffs from the pine and juniper, and it just makes it a delightfully shuddery and cold scent that is totally not what I expected but I really like it.

Striking. A chilly, sweet, wood scent. Yeah, try to imagine that. I couldn't, until I smelled it. Snowy citrus and sleek black tarry pine.

A surprise stand-out hit for me. I don't usually go for scents with those notes at all, but this one grabbed me immediately. I like it a lot.

I can see how someone might see this is masculine, but if definitely smells gender neutral to me. I'm a fairly feminine woman, and I can wear this no problem.

This one is much less foresty than I expected. It is very wintery, though. The ozone, white mint, juniper, and verbena combine in a way that make me think of the Lab's slushy snow note. There's some pine in there as well, but not enough to make me think of a forest. Mostly just snow and ice. After a while, the brown musk note emerges and sits beneath the icy notes, giving the scent a somewhat cleaner feel as opposed to an animalic one to my nose. Later in the day, I can smell the cola-like labdanum beneath the ozone, with just a memory of the coolness from before.

I'm glad I got to try this one, but this ending up as mostly ozone and labdanum at the end of the day was unexpected. I appreciate the cold notes, but I really wanted more forest from this!

Initially this reads as slushy flurries and cold icy pine, and then dries to almost a sweet vanilla mint. A faint howl of something like yuzu, which is probably the verbena. I don’t detect brown musk or labdanum, but it’s still cozy in a lovely cold way.