Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
fairnymph

CBBOB1

Leather (De Sade/Spanked style, but softer and less overwhelming, at least in the bottle) and other stuff, but this was an overall light scent, as many at this trunk show were, and my nose was rather scent-exhaushted, so thorough skin test is definitely needed.

To me, this smells like a less spicy, softer version of Spanked with added red musk and a bit of smokiness. It starts out strong on the smokey leather, with some red musk and a bit of patchouli. For a while, the red musk amps, but it finally settles into equal parts soft Spanked-like leather, red musk and a bit of patchouli.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I originally bought this with only the first review to go by, so I was just expecting a soft leather scent. Now that I've seen cfrancesca's review, I'm expecting something even more awesome, because I love red musk and patchouli.

First sniff:

Very strong red musk. I have a feeling that CBBOB1 didn't smell so strongly of red musk when it was available at the trunk show (I'm basing that on my experience with red musk getting much stronger as it ages), hence the reason it wasn't mentioned in the first review. I also get a hint of leather here, but it's mainly a red musk blend. It reminds me in some ways of Lust v7 and Tarot: Judgement (both favorites of mine), but CBBOB1 is definitely not a dupe for either, more like a distant relative.

Wet on skin:

Red musk and soft leather with just a touch of what could be patchouli. It's very slightly earthy and smoky, but mainly CBBOB1 is red musk with a soft backing of leather. And it smells really good. :yum:

Dry down:

This one's a hard one to pin down. On one hand, it reminds me somewhat of Krampus without the rags and switches. On the other hand, it is somewhat like Spanked + red musk. They're very different scents, but somehow this reminds me of both (Krampus in the early drydown and Spanked in the late drydown).

There's an awkward stage during the drydown where CBBOB1 goes a bit harsh and chemically (oddly, Krampus has started doing the same thing after the first few times I wore it, which makes me think that it's a skin chemistry thing reacting with a certain kind of red musk) before settling back down. It takes a while for the leather note to finally soften up and settle down but it does, given enough time, although it never quite reaches the softness of the leather note in Spanked.

In the end, I wind up with the soft scent of (broken-in) black leather, red musk (somewhat masculine rather than the round, rich version I get from most BPAL red musk blends) and a touch of something smoky. There could be some patchouli hiding in here, because I get a touch of the musty, slightly earthiness that makes me think of black patchouli, but it's definitely not a major player. At least not on me.

The bottom line:

I wish that the drydown was the same as either the bottle scent or the wet stage. Or that I could avoid the awkward stage in the middle), because I like the actual "final scent" quite a bit. It's just not the amazing, instant favorite scent that it has the potential to be thanks to my skin chemistry.

I'll be keeping mine, but I may wear it in one of my scent lockets or only wear it on days where I've got plenty of time to let it work out the kinks in the drydown (and try to avoid smelling myself in the meantime).

Ohh deep glorious thick crimson oil. Heavy red musk - it reminds me a bit of the Soldier minus the anise bit. Dries down very sexy. Love. :wub2:

ETA: Patchouli peeks out on dry down, which I love. Reminds me a bit of a musky Banshee Beat, if that makes sense.

Edited by violetblue

Definitely a soft leather. And musk, but I'm unsure on the red. I'm actually thinking maybe brown musk as it's kinda furry feeling instead of that almost floral edge that red musk has on me. Definitely not black musk either as it doesn't have that lemon-tinge that black has on me, either. It goes on my skin as a deep brown oil, almost Snake Oil-like in color.

But yes, leather; soft and snuggly musk with a bit of patchouli way into the drydown. Barely detectable and almost *not there* unless you are looking for it.

CBBOB1 is a very wearable, feminine leather. I get mostly fruity red musk, soft leather and a hint of patchouli. It is a softer, more delicate version of Spanked. I find this leather very wearable, and it reminds me to Whip, the only other leather scent that doesn't immediately explode all over my skin (although the roses do!)

Both red musk and leather are highly dominant notes on my skin, so I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't amp up both of them to high heaven.

Still not a leather fan, but if I ever wanted to wear leather... I'd wear this!

I agree with previous reviews saying this smells like red musk and leather. On me, the muskiness seems to amp up, and it has that fruity, warm, almost wine edge to it that red musk often does on my skin. Then there's a hint of smoky black leather that fades away as this dries down, and I'm left with warm, sweetish musk and a hint of powder.

In the bottle this smells like straight up Vick's Vapo-Rub. I nearly didn't skin test it until I kept reading reviews of red musk and wood. (yes please!!) I definitely get a minty undertone in this blend, but the red musk is front an foremost. Maybe a hint of a pine-type wood, but thankfully it's not amping so far. It's flipping for me between a beautiful musky/minty blend and a medicinal minty blend.

A smooth red leather. Very subdued though, I have to get CLOSE to sniff this at all.