Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ami226

Night's Bridge

Stone and darkness.

i have to say, i LOVE the way the oil separates...it's so pretty!

in the bottle: aquatic and...lemon? someone said licorice and i can totally see that!

on my skin: wtf...against ALL odds, this is an aquatic mix that i like? i think the citrus is keeping it from being offensively aquatic.

drying down: the citrus burns off a bit and i'm left with mostly just a strong, pleasant aquatic. too masculine for me (which is unusual), but my sweetie may get slathered. :)

This is aquatic and stone. Very clean stone, though, not the way patchouli can get on me (dank stone covered in dirt, filth, and mulch). This is the smell of rain on cobblestones at night. Not asphault, but stone, real and true stone.

Wow. This is great. It smells so clean! Very unisex, definitely a new favorite/go-to when I don't have a specific idea in mind for how I want to smell but I want to smell 'good'.

This starts out as an interesting, dark aquatic, but then goes into a powdery straight-up men's cologne like you'd get from any department store or Avon after about fifteen minutes. Not what I'm looking for, unfortunately.

ITB: It smells like damp cobblestones and a dark and dangerous men's cologne.

Wet: It smells almost like a fougere with a touch of anise and something floral. However, it's dark and musky, fitting of stone and darkness.

Dry: It really does seem like there in anise in here as whatever it is is stronger on my skin along with the dark musk. It's an intriguing scent.

Wet: Odd. That's the only way I can describe this. There is something old and very creepy about it.

Drying: It's sweet and slimy and is just really creeping me out. It's somewhat aquatic and very sharp, though I'm not sure what is giving it that sharp feeling. Maybe stone? It's just not my thing. Shame, because the bottle's pretty. Might keep it around to see if my chemistry agrees with it better later.

Dry: Anise. That's what this smells like. This is far more agreeable on me dry, and seeing as I love both the wet and dry, this bottle makes the cut for now.

I had both a decant & a partial bottle of this, and decided to try the bottle (mostly because I'd forgotten about the decant).

In the bottle, I'm not really sure what I'm getting out of it. I can't pick out any particular note. I think I was expecting something earthy, dark and almost loathing, and this was opposite. There's something a little sharp, but it's faint.

Applied, wet: Again, not really sure what notes I'm getting from this. Something slightly sharp, but non-descript.

Drydown: This is magic. On me, it turns creamy, sweet, almost a vanilla floral. It borders on powder, but it's much more cream, soothing, sweet, and comforting. I'd put it on earlier in the day to test it, and then ended up with a reapplication before going out for the evening, but it likely wouldn't have been necessary; it has some good staying power.

I checked the decant I have, and noticed it seems like the components separate a little: it seems a little darker at the bottom than it does towards the top. I gave it a quick shake, and it mixed together just fine, so it looks like this may be another one of those scents that needs a good roll, flick of the wrist, and/or whatnot to mix properly.

All in all, this is another one I'm going to purchase a full-bottle of next paycheck.

.oO(editing to add: After reading the other reviews, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one surprised by how this scent turned out. It's absolute perfection).

In the imp: EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED! Just like being alone on a stone bridge at midnight. How do they do this???

Wet on skin: Completely different now, but with a similar feel. More like salt water at night, but the bridge or other stone buildings are nearby.

Dry on skin: Changed again - warm, wet & dirty stone. Weird, but not unpleasant.

After a few hours: Warm stone in the afternoon caked with dried sea salt &... creamy vanilla? Again, REALLY weird but not unpleasant.

Verdict: I can't make up my mind about this one, it's doing all sorts of strange things on my skin! I think I need to test it again another day. It would be interesting to see how it works in a scent locket too.

This is a very pleasant, cool cologne on me. It doesn't smell like heavy darkness to me so much as like the time just before dawn, when there is a clean chill in the air. I definitely get some mint in this, but it's tempered by something resinous. Do I detect the tang of copal? I think this would be very nice on a man, b/there is a sweetness to it that would also work well for a woman.

Also, fun fact, the oil is two tone, a turquoise green floats above a dark brown. It's pretty nifty looking, and I actually put mine in a glass bottle so I could see it. You might want to roll it well before use though.

I sniffed this one year at a con... probably Denver Comic Con, maaaybe Drag Con? And I thought it smelled licorice-y and didn't waste any arm space on it. But when Ajevie decanted the Neverwhere series, I had to finally try it!

In the decant, it does smell like stone. But as soon as it hits my skin, it takes on that licorice-y vibe that I got from the bottle at one of those cons. But it is not as intensely anise as a lot of other licorice-y scents. The darkness element of this scent is a musk, but it is not the typical black musk -- it's fuzzier and cozier than that, but also not a brown musk. It ends up overtaking the licorice note and ends up being the dominant aspect of the scent by the end of the day.

This is not something I could see myself reaching for, but I'm glad I got to properly test it after all of these years. If you're down for an anise-tinged musk, give this a try.