Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pale yellow oil. Junipery GIN - very boozy & sharp, with other greenery. Cypress, galangal, ginger - this is a bit spicy-fresh, too. Intensely green, refreshing, and masculine. I also get the same leather note from Sacrifice.

I put a little on my roommate, and the ginger really bloomed on his skin, becoming quite spicy. A sweetness which evaded me in the bottle emerged strongly, too, probably tonka and/or benzoin - a rich, deep sort of sweetness. The cypress and gin are really beautiful evergreen notes, not overwhelming, very woodsy and realistic, not the 'fake pine' I get often in BPAL.

This is not really like any other BPAL blend I've smelled, but it vaguely reminds me of Hellhound on My Trail, without the smokiness of the tobacco and brimstone. Instead this has the leather and ginger for depth, and juniper-gin takes the places of bay rum. They're similarly structured, share some notes and both evoke the same sort of intensely manly but paradoxically still outdoorsy and lightly fresh feel. My roommate is insanely picky, but he really likes this, and I like it on him!

Holy crap. I get the boozy gin (hello juniper, is that you), and then as it dries a base of subtle sweetness comes through - perhaps tonka/benzoin? It's definitely a more woodsy/solid sort of sweetness.

This is like a well mixed cocktail. Slightly manly because of the gin, but the tonka/benzoin brings out some of the sweetness.

I get gin, or some other sparkling booze here, crisp and refreshing. As it dries, there is a creamy vanillic sweetness that comes out. I agree with the benzoin or tonka guesses as there does seem to be some depth to it. I also get some leather, but it stays relatively quiet on me. This does tend towards the masculine but I quite like it.

Wow, is my experience with this one different. I get sun-warmed spices on hot, summery pavement; something in here registers as hot rocks and dirt to my nose. But the spices make it super appealing; ginger, sure, and something else I can't pin down. It's really odd, and really appealing, at least to my odd nose! I do get some dark greenery, some depth and richness, but beyond that, I find it pretty hard to describe.

ETA: OK, now that this is dry the stone/dirt aspect is gone. It's sweet but rich, creamy but not plastic vanilla, spicy but not hot, foodie but not cloying, and I will fight you all for more of it. ;)

ETA2: OK, I take that back. This takes on an odd dusty note as it really settles in, and it puts me off, which is a bummer, as the beginning was so promising!

Edited by bookandbroom

This is a sharp boozy-fizzy scent, and it has that note that was in the Champagne& scents and whatever else the pale-fizzy booze scents have been, and it is a note that makes me feel ill. I also get a sharp evergreen note, so other reviews that say gin/juniper feel right on to me. As it dries I suddenly got a dirt smell, which is what made me come look at the other reviews, and I see at least one other person got dirt too so I feel slightly less insane now. I don't get any creamy vanilla, but I am amping the champagne to the exclusion of everything else, so it could be covered by that.

Not my type of scent. But if you love the lab's champagne note you might like this, because it's the strongest thing in here for me.

Eleven pounds of snow note in a ten-pound bag.

Seriously. If you know the snow blends, you know the spicy-aquatic smell I'm talking about. This blend adds juniper or gin, a kind of vanilla sweetness, a really fresh green galangal (baby ginger) and fresh conifer greens, with an aquatic in the background. Unfortunately there's TOO much aquatic, which is coming across as toilet bowl cleaner.

Now I'm getting the fizzy boozy champagne overlay as well. This is really reminding me of Piper at the Gates of Dawn plus champagne and a loud aquatic. I really wish the aquatic wasn't there, because this would be awesome on my skin without it.

As it drys, after an hour, I'm getting the spicy snow note and dusty earth and a woodsy sweetness.

Edited by bheansidhe

BTPU2 is kinda reminding me of Whoop at first (though I think I'm the only person who got a heavily cloying, boozy, juniper-y gin smell from Whoop). It has that fizzy evergreen/juniper smell that I get from bpal's gin notes, but this is boozier and cloying on me. I can see where other people picked up on the champagne, because it has that intensely boozy, pukey feel for me. As it dries down, it's less cloying and I get the dust/earth note that others have mentioned. Overall this is just really strange on me, and not quite in a good way...