Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
subscura

Moss soap scent?

Years ago Yankee Candle had a hand soap...it may have been called "Moss" or something similar. This was at least 15 years ago, but I still think about the smell! It was gorgeous. It was sweet and earthy and moist-smelling...like sitting on some low rocks next to a cool brook in the shade, hints of sunlight dappling the greenery....mossy! The earthy aspect didn't have the heaviness of say, patchouli--it was more airy.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone remember this soap? What BPAL scents would you say fit the above description?

Years ago Yankee Candle had a hand soap...it may have been called "Moss" or something similar. This was at least 15 years ago, but I still think about the smell! It was gorgeous. It was sweet and earthy and moist-smelling...like sitting on some low rocks next to a cool brook in the shade, hints of sunlight dappling the greenery....mossy! The earthy aspect didn't have the heaviness of say, patchouli--it was more airy.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone remember this soap? What BPAL scents would you say fit the above description?

I haven't smelled the Yankee Candle fragrance, but the scent you are describing sounds very similar to the BPAL "dirt"/"loam" note (which is very wet and mossy to my nose, and nothing like patchouli), and so you might try some blends that feature it. My number one recommendation would be Graveyard Dirt, followed by Yorick:

Graveyard Dirt
(2005 LE, resurrected 2008) - This is the scent of pure graveyard dust, spattered with grave loam and dusted lightly with tombstone moss.

Yorick
(Illyria) - Grave dirt, bone, decay, angel's trumpet, and moldering scraps of shroud: the essence of finality.

There are other moss/dirt scents, but these two are the most "plain dirt" to my nose. If you don't mind other notes (e.g., roses, evergreens, vanilla) blended in, you could try:

Death Cap
(Rappaccini' Garden) - A lethal poison bundled up in a dainty, innocent little package that was oft times found in ancient witches’ flying ointments and astral projection balms. A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild.

Deep in Earth
(Ars Moriendi) - Rose geranium, Spanish moss, Irish yew, and graveyard dirt.

Jazz Funeral
(Ars Moriendi) - Bittersweet bay rum, bourbon, and a host of funeral flowers with a touch of graveyard dirt, magnolia and Spanish Moss.

Nocnitsa
(Diabolus) - Her scent is that of a lightless fir wood, nighttime air, wet forest mosses and upturned earth.

Zombi
(Ars Moriendi) - Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth.

Also check out:

I want to smell like dirt! Dirt, Earth, Soil recommendations

The most natural or lifelike scents?, forest, earth, rain, water, grass, moss and so on...

I also haven't smelled the soap in question, but dark-green, mossy scents, I just recently discovered Robin Goodfellow:

Dark musk, moss-covered wood, ragwort, heather, and sage.

It's green and deep, but not super-heavy or extraordinarily dirty like scents heavy on the patchouli.

I don't know the soap you are talking about but

Lyonesse is to me a very airy moss scent. It's like silver-green moss smell about it. The ambergris gives is that damp tinge. It also has star gazer lily and dries down with a lovely sweet vanilla. Of all the ones I've smelt it sounds to be the best fit for what you are describing.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Thank you for the suggestions (and especially the links, Apple!) I didn't really think anyone would remember/know about the soap--I must have been around 14 when it was out.

Lyonesse sounds interesting...I love vanilla as well.

To accentuate those recommended scents in a soap form ...

Have you tried Grundy by Villainess? To me, her soap seem the perfect complement to many BPAL scents. Here is the description form her website:

Grundy:Swamp moss and fresh-turned earth with a ruthless heart of vetiver, and a distinguished splash of bay rum.

Not as dark as it sounds, and its perfect for layering soap (and lotion) with bpal scents.

Yorick and Graveyard Dirt are perfect with Grundy. Try searching for the Haunted House Halloweenies from 07, especially The Twisted Oak Tree (Blackened, rotted oak wood blanketed in moss and choked by a cloak of grasping ivy.)

HTH

I haven't tried that soap either, but I still recommend Cathode: "A negatively charged scent. Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints". It does start out minty but it dries down to a fabulous mossy finish. : )

To add to "light" earthy scents, try Destroying Angel. One me it starts out clear, loamy potting soil. It's a clean dirt, if that makes any sense. I seriously recommend it!