Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Akurarei

Black Butterfly Moon

Soft, deep, and luminous: Lady of the Night orchid, benzoin, opopponax, currant, black chypre, white gardenia, ambergris, damp, wooded mosses, and black lily.

2013 version.

Heady orchids, tinge of oakmoss, lily and currant. In general this is a very heady, sophisticated orchid blend.

Grand dame perfume, dark, velvety.

I wish I had bought a backup bottle of this, I do so love it very much (2013 version). On me it smells like a wonderful, sexy, dark and expensive perfume. Fabulous !!!!!

ITI: It's lily fragrant orchids, lilies, and almond pastries with a hint of resin from the benzoin. Strange.

Wet: The warm pastry note I picked up early is the ambergris paired with the gardenia, which I can now discern specifically because the notes become individually more distinct on skin. I also pick up on a touch of moss, lily, orchid, and resin, although all are much more subtle than the ambergris and gardenia.

Dry: It's still soft and faintly sweet, but the notes are not distinguishable after 12 hours.

2013 Version

Black Butterfly Moon is gorgeous.

Dark and luminous indeed! Like others have said, this reminds me of an expensive perfume. So sultry.

Its not too sweet. Not too floral. Not too resiny. Just a perfect blend of all the notes mentioned. No note really sticks out to me. And this lily is divine. It doesn't go soapy at all!

I'm so happy I took a chance with this one. I don't have any other bpal oils quite like this one! And my husband loves it too, which is a plus.

Edited by ziggystardust13

This is the 2009 version. I love the name of this so much I had to have it.

Wet: Very dark and medicinal, and frankly horrible. Lol. I don't know what that smell is, but it's bad. I'm going to just let it sit there and hopefully smooth out...

Dry: It gets much better, luckily. It's quite different than I was expecting. Not getting a lot of the floral notes or resins at all. It actually smells a bit like leather?? I think it's maybe the moss I'm getting most of. Maybe the chypre? It smells dark and murky and green at the same time. Like the outdoors at night, sort of. I think I like it, but I'll need to wear it to know for sure.

I was expecting something much more floral from the notes, but on me this is basically a chypre with black currant. It's delicate and dark and masculine. Not really my thing, alas.

ETA: 2013 version. :smile:

Edited by VetchVesper