Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
binkin

Avoiding notes that turn to hairspray

I'm hoping I got the right forum for this. I need someone to help me figure out what note smells like old-school chemically hairspray, because today I was deeply saddened to discover that whatever it is, it's in Black Rose. The only other scent I've had this with is Santa Muerte, and on both occasions I have actually gagged a bit while trying to scrub the scent off (which is next to impossible).

The thing is, they don't have any LISTED notes in common. Maybe someone else has had this reaction/sense and can give me some ideas? I'm fairly new to BPAL so I'm having a hard time narrowing things down a bit, still.

Black Rose has amber, black musk, roses.

Santa Muerte has lovers’ roses, solemn chrysanthemum, dark vetiver and dazzling cactus flowers.

Help? :huh?:

I put this in the wrong forum earlier :ack: -- I mixed up Suggestions and Recommendations :D

Edited by ivyandpeony
added search terms to title

They both have rose in them. It could be a similar rose they both have, as I don't know what lovers' rose is. :P

I understand what you mean. Hairspray, to me, smells powdery and sweet. It's a smell I like. Similar to rose, it turns powdery and sweet on my skin. It could be your nose or skin chemistry changing the rose smell to a hairspray smell. I do think they smell similar, or at least rose sometimes reminds me of hairspray.

Hope that helps. I kind of rambled. :)

Black Rose has amber, black musk, roses.

Santa Muerte has lovers’ roses, solemn chrysanthemum, dark vetiver and dazzling cactus flowers.

Hmm.. interesting! None of the notes in either of those are the usual culprits for the dreaded "hairspray" smell, so perhaps it's just the combination of notes in those or the way your skin handles rose? My skin amps rose ridiculously to the point where that's all I can smell in any blend with rose, but I don't get the hairspray thing from it. My hairspray trigger notes are champagne and poppy, and sometimes white musk.

I would suspect perhaps it's the chrysanthemum in the Santa Muerte, but I have no clue what it could be in the Black Rose. Out of curiosity - I just did a quick dab from my imp of Black Rose and there's definitely no hairspray coming from it for me.

You might need to try a process of elimination - do you have any other blends with notes in common with these two? Maybe by trying a few others, you may be able to identify what's causing the hairspray problem. Good luck finding out!

Personally, roses turn really sharp on me if they're a bad variety, so that might be your culprit. The thing is though, is that there are a lot of different types of any one note that there's kind of no predicting what will go bad (or good!) unless you try it on your skin.

What kind of scent recommendations are you looking for?

Edited by cinderfallen

OK, found another that turns bad: London. Tea rose, perhaps? I guess I'll just have to keep ordering and sorting through what works and what doesn't. At least now I know better than to put them on my skin!

I don't really need recommendations -- I was more hoping someone could wave the magic Rose Wand and tell me which particular of the 100000 rose notes it was that wasn't working on me. Alas.

Oh, and Flowering Chyrsanthemums is lovely on me, so I guess it's not the mums. It is, as they say, a mystery.