Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Warm red wine spiced with cinnamon sticks, cardamom, vanilla beans, honey, clove, lemon and orange rind, bay leaf, and honey.

In the imp: Very strong, thick and gloopy honey with a slight touch of cinnamon. I'm hoping this won't be too strong for me, but it smells really good!

On me: The same thick honey with some spices trying to say hello, but they pale in comparison to their golden friend. Instantly I know that this is very yummy and LOVELY! It smells like Christmas :bunnyluv:

All I have of this is an imp, but I will cherish it. It has some nice and good throw, which not a lot of perfumes have on me, and it's staying far away from the migraine-area. I've been wanting to try Glühwein since I first heard of it, and it smells just as good as I hoped it would. This is happiness, finally the perfect winter day-perfume for me!

After an hour it still smells just as lovely. It has got a nice honey-base with spices and a dash of red wine, just to keep it from going too sweet.

Three hours later and it's still going strong! The honey has calmed down a bit, so the wine is making a bigger appearance. I love this. This is a keeper!

Oh so sad! I so wanted to hope this would work for me. Every note is amazing except honey, so I was hoping the honey would take a back seat!

In bottle: Yep....gooey, syrupy honey! Oh no!

On skin: Gooey, syrupy honey!!

Dru down: Nothing but HONEY!! I get no other notes! So sad. Off to the swap/sale pile!!

In the decant: I tend to amp the Lab’s red wine note, but I wanted to see if this reminded me of the Glühwein I’ve had in Germany and Austria. This is actually much sweeter. I think this is more like a lightly spiced punch, while the boy thinks this is more like gummy candies. Neither of us think it smells like actual Glühwein.

Wet: I get the honeyed red wine note backed by some spices. After a minute, I’m able to smell the citrus. The spices are stronger on my skin than they were in the decant, but do not dominate the scent. As it begins to dry, the honey note becomes more prominent.

Dry: The wine note is dominant for a while, with the honey and orange gaining more strength during this stage until it mostly becomes honeyed orange and wine with hardly any spice left.

Verdict: This isn’t the scent of Glühwein to me, in the vial or on my skin. It was nice to be able to try it, but I won’t be holding on to the decant.

2019 version. cinnamon, spices, citrus. kinda smells candley. I can see spicy punch. I was expecting more wine, but this doesn't quite deliver. Still smells great, it would make an awesome atmo!

2019:

Instead of wine - which I associate with the sour grape kind that shows up in a lot of BPAL wine blends - Gluhwein reads like THE best cider. Deep, rich, mulled, and spiced, with lots of fruits and not just apples. At first when I sniffed it, I thought I didn't need it because I had so many apple cider scents (Autumn Cider, Spiced Autumn Cider, Punkie Night, Fearful Pleasure, Lamb's Wool). It was only later, when I smelled each of those again, that I realized Gluhwein kiiiind of puts all of them to shame. The closest comparison is actually the 2019 Harvest Moon with its gloriously mulled wine. Gluhwein is the Yule version of that, with some more of those traditional winter blends of spices and orange and cardamom and vanilla. Delicious, and yet atmospheric rather than pure foodie. 

Might just have to acquire some of this, I confess.

Had packed my Gluhwein from 2019 to take to Mom's, and wore it today. Wow, it's aged nicely. In the bottle: Cinnamon and apple cider notes, with some cloves, and hints of raisin/dried fruit? Really more like spiced cider. On, wet: The "warm wine"magic starts to open up, with more sugar notes and a real "warm wine" note overtaking the cider notes. The cinnamon is a really good "unbaked" cinnamon. Long wear, low throw on me. Drydown: The cinnamon, clove, and warm wine scent stays pretty stable for a long time. My Mom makes Gluhwein for our family Thanksgiving without fail every year, and also for Xmas and Rosh Hashana (mixed family). Mom took one whiff of me after I put it on and said "Wow, that smells just like Thanksgiving!" Really nice, and DEFINITELY a holiday scent.