Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jrk1857

All They Had Seen, and All They Had Lost

Mist and dewy roses, aspen leaves, and translucent yellow blossoms.

I'm kind of surprised there arnt more reviews for this beautiful scent...
I totally smell honeysuckle in this. It's warm, glowing, ethereal honeysuckle in a secret garden in the middle of a forest. I never get rose, but it could be because it's blended so well with the other florals. I can see that this would have a tendancy to maybe get cologney on some people but not
me. I really like this and am glad I have it as part of my collection :)

A golden, nice rose. One of the best BPAL roses I have smelled! No hint of green and this isn't overpoweringly strong. Very pleasant!

I got a bottle of this unsniffed, because for some reason one glance at the notes list had convinced me it was something I'd love, and you know what? I do love it. In the bottle, it reminds me a lot of the toilet water (toilette... water?) that I used when I was younger, and brings back those hot summer nights in Beijing where us kids would run around after a refreshing shower, completely unafraid of mosquito bites because this was supposed to ward them off. On my skin, this dries down to the most soft, delicate floral, and there's hardly any rose in it at all. It's a comforting smell, and a comfortable feeling.

On first application, this is rather generic floral to my nose. Pretty and not overpowering, but not remarkable.

Over time, the florals take a rounded, wind-blown quality--flowers surrounded by the outdoors, in the cool morning of what will be a close, humid, long day. I don't get roses, but I like the atmosphere of the scent overall.

Bottle: Rosy floral with something seriously medicinal.

Wet: Daffodils and herbal medicine?

Drydown: I'm guessing the aconite is the awful, medicinal smell I'm getting. Edge of baby diapers.

Dry: More of the same.

Would I ever wear this? No.

My rating: 1/5

This doesn't seem like a Yule blend, but it does evoke 'mist and dewy trees'. It's a faintly aquatic floral, bordering on old perfume. I get a dingy yellow color from this fragrance. I have to say that I like how the rose doesn't stink like it usually does when combined with other florals.

Without checking notes, I would have sworn this had grape in it. Now I think it's honeysuckle (?) interacting with the other notes. Now that I'm picking up on florals instead of fruit, I can smell the roses and dried leaves (and maybe still some grape). I like the unusualness of this, but I'm not sure I'll wear it much.

This is so unexpectedly wonderful!! I'm also shocked there aren't more reviews of ATHSATHL; it's gorgeous and seems like a scent that would complement a lot of people. Hmmm, more for me, then!

I bought this as a decant from a forumite based solely on the name, and it's one of my favorite unsniffed purchases to date. BPAL's rose note almost always goes soapy on me (the notable exception being Whip); I'm thrilled to find out that I can wear this rose too! It's very soft and tempered by the aspen leaves (amazing!) and the other glistening florals. The golden florals in ATHSATHL remind me of Eos, but these are the crunchy, dying blooms of autumn. It is more mature and sophisticated than Eos, I think.

My only critique of this scent is the fact that it gets a little powdery during drydown, but that's my problem, not the scent's. I'm a bit puzzled why this was released as a Yule, but I'll be wearing it for the rest of the summer and all through the fall. This is a definite win. :bunnyluv:

I bought a decant from a forumite a little while ago and I don't know why I haven't tested this sooner. This is gorgeous.

It's a warm, golden rose, but it's not loud or overly perfumey or powdery like some other rose blends are on me. There are other florals mingling nicely with it. There's also a breath of leaves which brings a hint of autumn. Nothing aquatic is coming out on my skin which is fine with me!

The rose becomes more subdued as it dries and the other florals are taking the lead. I'm not entirely sure what these other florals are, but they're lovely. The leaves are somewhere in the background, adding marvelous depth.

Wait, I think I detect honeysuckle. Be still, my beating heart! :heart:

When my wallet heals from this year's luper updates, I must find a bottle of this.

Source: Ebay purchase straight from the Lab

I picked this up for two reasons: I’ve wanted a rose scent that doesn’t scream “Grandma” and a search for an authentic leaf note…

The smell of fallen oak leaves is one of my favorite scents in the world. However, I’ve started to wonder if I’m smelling something different than other people experience. To me fallen leaves smell strongly of un-brewed iced tea (iced = cheap black tea dust) and earth. Unfortunately, most perfume leaf/woods notes end up smelling distinctly of dude-cologne (absolutely nothing like leaves/trees) to my nose. I’m not sure if this is on purpose - if the woods/leaves descriptions are actually indicative of this Frat Boy smell – or if that is what other people smell when they smell leaves….but regardless I have absolute no desire to smell like an Abercrombie & Fitch store in the late 90’s….

That being said, ATHSALTH met both of my requests! The rose in this is lovely. It smells like a late-blooming antique rose bush. There’s a tiny bit of powder to it – but not enough to summon knitting needles.

I’m unable to discern which of the remaining scents are the respective mist/dew/aspen leaves/translucent yellow blossoms. However, what I’m ASSUMING to be the aspen leaves is actually the closest to an authentic leaf scent I’ve found thus far – I’m not sure if the dreaded “woods” is still there and just gets lost in the blend – or if the note itself is win – but there’s a faintly tea/earth element that I love (and hoped for) of actual crumbling brown leaves.

The remaining reads as a subtle sweetness – its subtle and feminine – but it does slightly remind me of John Freida Frizz-Ease hair spray. (That’s really more of a compliment to the hairspray than an insult to the BPAL.)

In summary this is lovely, it doesn’t morph much and definitely smells of a late autumn walk through leaves and roses….not of a perfumers ROSE and LEAVES. Very nice and what I hoped it would be!