Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
IronMollyBlack

Rumpelstilzchen

Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.

I like this :).

Wet On Skin: Smoky, ashy bonfire :). Not just any wood is burning here though, this is an exotic, spicy wood.

Dry: This dries into a softer, sweeter, spicy scent. Still smoky and ashy though, which is really nice.

Verdict: I like this. Not sure yet whether I'll buy a bottle, but I'll for sure keep my imp, and it's a possibility. 3.5/5

This is pure ash, both in the imp and on my skin. On drydown there's the vaguest whisper of spice, but I have to really try to detect it. Smells like I rubbed my arm in a campfire pit. And hey, some people love that smell - but I'm not one of those people.

If your skin chemistry amps spice, maybe this one will turn out differently for you. But I'm not a fan.

I'm always intrigued by the smoky, charred blends - Brimstone, Agnes Nutter, Bonfire Night - but they're always too much for me. I think I can pull off Rumpelstilzchen, though. I love the way this scent wafts up to my nose and smells slightly different with every inhalation. Sometimes I get all firewood and ash, sometimes it's smoky patchouli, sometimes more of a chai scent from the cardamom. The vetiver is only slightly noticeable, not overpowering as it tends to be on me. So I'm quite pleased with this blend! Finally, a smoky scent for me. :D

This imp was a good decision. Wet, this is completely burning wood, with something behind it poking it's head out once in a while. On drydown, the wood calms down and there are some spices and a sweet note (the tonka, I think) melding with it. This has low throw and stays close to the skin. I kept sniffing my wrist to every once in a while and smiling happily. As someone that finds the burning blends warm and comforting, I enjoyed this one a lot.

EDIT: This imp was actually a bad decision. After letting it settle for a few days and retesting, my eternal nemesis myrrh emerges, doing it's usual thing on my chemistry where it makes a scent smell kind of rancid/dusty. It's not as bad here as it is in some scents, but it's still enough to ruin it for me. Bah. I guess I will have to stick to Bonfire Night for my woodsmoke fix.

Edited by Allumina

Just checking my collection against what I've reviewed and found a few straggler. So not sure when I got this imp but think it was a frimp from the Lab.

IN THE IMP: A charred, burnt scent, yes, but oddly with a clean and resiny kick to it.

Dabbed on one wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: The resin and the spices combine nicely with the firewood and ashes. To me, it smells like a burned-down church. Not that that would be a good thing in real life, mind you, just that's the image I get.

DRYDOWN: Medicinal and smoky, a little goes a long, long way with the big throw it has.

OVERALL: I think this would be really sexy on a guy but it's just a little too much for me.

On a scale of 1-5, a 4.

Got this as a frimp with my last order. In the vial it's vetiver city, almost piney. Wet on my skin is woody patchouli-ness. Once it mellowed it was soft smoke. I am surprised - I thought I'd hate it, and I definitely don't, but it isn't something I would wear.

Mostly patchouli, smoky and slightly burnt. Surprisingly gentle for the note list. Like ash or coal from a fire, just smoking. I get a kind of dry hay as well.

This was quite a morpher, with an ash and soot smell on wet. Half an hour later, it had turned into a spicy cologne with just a hint of ash in the background. I compared it to Dee, and it is not too far off from it except that Dee is a little sweeter on me. Yum!

Rumpelstilzchen is a very woodsy scent to my nose. It smells more sandalwood dominant to me than patchouli, with a spicy background that makes me think cinnamon, though that note is not listed, so maybe the nutmeg and pepper is tricking my nose....

Normally I avoid patchouli, but I was frimped a few patchouli blends by a forumite to see if I could overcome my aversion. Not with this one. Dirty remains of a campfire. Or, like the very first poster said, charcoal briquette. I don't get the sandalwood at all, which is a favorite note of mine. I'll keep it on another half hour to see if it morphs into something remotely pleasant, but I'm not sure the initial sensation would be worth it even if it does.