Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gwydion

The Buggre Alle This Bible

Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense.

In the decant: This does smell ancient. I get the dusty, crumbling paper, cracked leather, and some incense.

Wet: I am getting white sandalwood, lots of dust, and the cracked leather, which is sharper than I expected for an old book. After a few minutes, I can smell the incense and tobacco as well.

Dry: The scent is sweeter now. I’m still getting white sandalwood, dusty pages, and sharp leather, as well as the incense that the book has absorbed throughout the ages.

Verdict: I’m always interested in book scents, so I was looking forward to trying this one, but this is one dry, very dusty, old book, and the leather is not a variety that is kind to me. I prefer ParaNorman’s The Book to The Buggre Alle This Bible and won’t be keeping my decant, but I am glad I got to try it.

Edited by dementia_divine

I get loads of acrid vetiver at first sniff. I actually like the note, but it needs to tame down here some.

.... Ok.  It's doing so.  Hmmmmm.... something else is coming out now.  Very nice.  Something I smell more at a distance than I do up close, but something that makes me want to get close.  The tobacco perhaps?  This is a very dry tobacco though, not the chewy ones I'm more used too.  There's something soft and powdery in the mix.  Maybe the incense?  And the leather seems soft.  "Leather" never smells strongly of leather on me; it tends to just merge with the blend and add something warm, wonderful, and undefinable.  That's what this is doing.  This reads masculine to me, but I could see wearing it as a lady of bold and intrepid daring do.  It has a splash of steam punk to me.  Very nice, and sure to age well.  

Bottle: smoke
Wet: wood, smoke, leather and old books 
On: It morphs a bit revealing what I'm starting to learn is vetiver, and something peppery. This becomes quite dark and heady on a wood base. 
Dry down: incense, vetiver. Maybe a touch of tobacco leaf but it all blends together to a heady incense. 

On my partner it seems to be responding similar up to that pepper stage but faded very quickly. 

Unfortunately this isn't something I'll see myself wearing, which is a shame as I love all the notes listed, in principle. 

Wet: Incense, tobacco, and leather. A dry, smokey leather scent.

Dry: Sweet tobacco and leather, with a hint of parchment. I would still describe it as dry and smokey, but the sweetness that comes out during the dry down makes this much more pleasant IMO. (Especially since the paper note came out as well!)

Not my favorite paper/book/parchment scent (that goes to Clio), but if you're curious about those notes, this is worth trying.

First Sniff: Pepper and soft suede. 

Initial Wet Application: There’s something gentle and fresh in this, maybe the tobacco leaf? It is reminiscent of an old college classroom somehow. 

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): As this dries, it’s staying the same. This does seem to mimic old paper, but it has a slightly perfumey quality to it too. I also get dust.

My Reaction: This was...not what I was expecting. I don’t know what I thought I would get, but the description sounded interesting in my perpetual search for the perfect ‘old library scent’. This was interesting, but I’m not sure how often I would reach for this. 

Rating: 2

Pursuing all the book scents, I acquired this one blindly. Mine is well-aged.

Through the initial haze of resins pops white sandalwood to say hello. I sigh. I've been seeing him everywhere this days, powdery white and crumbly, and I'm not amused. Fortunately, leather strolls in later, a mellow lived-in-jacket-leather of brown lambskin. A touch spicy, the way good resins can be. Love this stage! Still waiting for the tobacco leaf and incense.

Over time, the papery element of this scent emerges, dry and crackling like papers that have gotten wet and dried to a fine crisp. It lacks any element of ink, which is probably for the best, since that can go pickly. Personally, tobacco and incense only showed up as the faintest suggestion late in the game when I put my nose right up against my wrist and inhaled deeply. The other elements have a low and gentle throw. If leather usually screams for you, this might be one to try. This ends up as a snuggly scent, surprisingly cozy and warm.

Scholar's Tower has a bigger throw for me and a more complete picture of scholarly scent, so I think I will be letting Buggre Alle This Bible go. However, I still think it is one to try if you're on the hunt for the perfect book scent. It just might be yours.

I would wear this scent while: reading Neil Gaiman, of course!

Edited by starbrow

Woody, book scent. A very calm fragrance, clean and soft. Smells like how I would imagine a large stately library to smell