Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
StrangeLove

The Ifrit

Desert sand, red musk, blackened ginger, dragon's blood resin, black pepper, cinnamon, and tobacco.

The opening reminds me of candles (resin?), and it stays that way for a long time, with some barely-there dragon's blood. Spices and a pinch of tobacco appear in the drydown, against the backdrop of red musk. Relatively good wear length, low throw.

I was so excited to get my decant, as this was the scent I thought would work for me most out of all sent in the circle. In fact, I ordered TWO imps from my lovely decanter. Unfortunately, this was the only fragrance that fell flat immediately upon application. I had hope though. I did! That hope did not meet a happy ending, sadly. I smell like a can of sweetened coconut creme, and coconut isn't even a listed note. (Coconut is, however, one of my amp-like-crazy death notes, so I am unsurprised if there *is* coconut in it somewhere to sweeten and relax it some.)

In imp, it's soft and light and airy. It stays that way upon application, but the floating-harmoniously-together-unable-to-be-separated note achieved in imp dries down to a "whoa, this is just a fluffy cloud of unsweetened, milled coconut flakes." In the wet-to-almost-dry stage, it smells like sweetened coconut creme, with hints of vanilla (and maybe Dragon's Blood?) entering and exiting every few moments. It would be an excellent hot-weather scent, but it's a super no-go on my skin chemistry.

This is a swap for me, but I'm glad it exists, because I know someone (many someones, evidenced by this thread!) will love it.

I got this in a decant circle and originally thought it would be PERFECT for my husband. Every time I place an order I ask if he wants something and he says " something that smells like the desert". when this arrived I slapped some on my own wrist and right way I could smell the dry airy sandy smell, and something sweet, ginger, pepper. Then the spices settled and the dragons blood came through. I LOVE this, I really really do. My husband likes it on me, but it is not his desert smell. so we're still searching for that

Oh well, More Ifrit for me :rofl:

It is on my list of full bottles I need

In the Vial:

Musky dragons blood with a slight ginger kick

On the Skin:

A slight epoxy scent initially. The red musk fights with the dragons blood but quickly settles down to a red musk and incense scent which is actually quite sweet.

On the Drydown:

Really disappointing. I was hoping for a desert scent but ended up with a strangely sweet dragons blood.

This ends up going to clean laundry on me. It's really nice, but not what I expected from this blend. I'm unsure what I would be amping that would smell this way. It is a decant, so maybe the wrong thing is in here.

In the imp/wet - fruity red musk

Freshly applied - sweet red musk and something stale and fusty. Not much spice, despite the listed notes
Five-ten minutes in - red musk and dragon's blood are not a winning combo on me; the two of them together are all I get, like a thinner version of Dragon's Heart. If I press my nose directly to my skin, I get a faint hint of dry sand. Still no spice, despite my skin usually amping cinnamon.
Thirty minutes in - Perfume-y red musk and floral dragon's blood (the kind that smells almost lilac-y). The fustiness is gone now, and it's not unpleasant, but it's not the spicy desert heat scent I expected. This is a heavy, feminine, floral musk.
Three hours in - The musk lightens and sweetens over time. By hour two, it's a lovely, sweetened floral musk reminiscent of lilac, and I'm starting to really like it. Sadly, by hour three, it's morphed into something artificial and perfume-y (in the "like commercial perfumes I don't like" kind of way) again, with a slight hint of baby powder. Now it smells like something my mother would wear. Apparently red musk is the patchouli of musks - like patchouli, it ruins everything.

Yep, reminds me of the desert!

On my boyfriend it smells quite lovely without being too musky or spicy. It's exactly what he wanted and he's happy with it. I find him wearing it more in winter.

Edited by follis

This might be my favorite chapter in the whole book, and I'm so glad I picked up a bottle of this. From the notes, it sounds heavy, but it's not at all. There's a sweetness from the dragon's blood, the spice and sand are wispy. It's a warm wind, not scorching at all. It's a beautiful scent that captures a beautiful romantic interlude. It needs more love!