Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
euterpe414

Hastur

Smoky-sour labdanum, black patchouli, wet tobacco, and brimstone.

Wet: Smoky, sour indeed. But not really unpleasant. Masculine. Dark. This is sweeter than I expected on me, I think from the labdanum and tobacco. Thick and chewy smelling.

Dry: This is tough for me to describe. I don't dislike it at all. Thick and resinous. A bit sweet. A bit sour and smoky still. It's not me, but it is for sure a sexy bad ass man smell. I think a bad ass woman could wear it with confidence too, just not this woman.

Honestly, I'm not sure I knew what labdanum smelled like before I sniffed this, but now it's really obvious as a component in several of the classic perfumes I've smelled. It starts out as nothing but deep, dark, slightly sweet resin on me and then gradually gets smokier and darker. It's incredibly well-balanced; nothing in here is "too much," even though all of these ingredients could easily take over a scent if given the chance. It's one of the deepest, richest scents I've ever worn, and I'll be keeping my decant!

In the decant: The sharp, somewhat sour labdanum is by far the strongest note, followed by the black patchouli.

Wet: The labdanum is the most prominent note on me, followed by the patchouli, but I get a bit of the brimstone now. This one is dark, resinous, and somewhat smoky. After a few minutes, the tobacco makes itself known and becomes one of the main players, adding more smokiness to the scent, but the labdanum is still king.

Dry: The labdanum continues to reign, but it has softened considerably. The tobacco is right behind it. The patchouli in this is present, but not a bully. There’s a cinnamon-y warmth and yet also a cool, pine-y vibe, and I am thinking that must be the brimstone. The spicy aspect is something that both Hastur and Ligur share, although it is more potent in Ligur than in Hastur.

Verdict: This is not as menacing as I initially thought it would be. It’s not something I could see myself wearing (the labdanum is too strong for me at first and it is definitely a masculine scent), but I think fans of heavy resins and tobacco would appreciate this one.

This is the only way I can describe it:

Having a sexy lurk through a churchyard at night. 

I'm sorry, I really tried to describe the notes here, but I just can't. This is just an incredibly sexy blend. One of the sexiest BPAL has done.

This smells dark and sticky and black musky to me, even though I see it's not listed in the notes.  It has the feel of a high end, old-fashioned men's cologne.  Not grandpa, but like something you'd smell in an antique bottle.  It's aggressive but still chic.  I very much get one unique blend, rather than different notes working together.  I don't love this, but I wouldn't mind smelling this on my man.  ;)  

Oooof, this is INTENSE! It's very pungent, smells volatile and almost alcoholic. Duke of Hell indeed, too sour-smoky-damp for my skin chem. Throw is low/med, longevity 6+