Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
edenssixthday

La Mort Qui Danse

Black pepper, white ginger, Calla lily, and lily of the valley.

Most definitely a lily blend; that's the note which jumps right out at me as soon as I open the bottle. On me, the lily warms up, and the pepper pricks my nose just a bit, in a pleasant way. The lily of the valley seems uppermost, and this is a very nice spring-type perfume -- light and delicate, cool and fresh -- but maybe not what I wanted to wear on Thanksgiving Day. 2 of 5 stars.

Pepper and Lily. A really interesting blend. The pepper is strong in the imp and on wet, but the lily comes out more once dry on the skin.

I'm a fan of lily, so I like this blend, but unfortunately it doesn't last very long. It's very light, which I think is good in this case. Light like a thin cotton sun dress. There's nothing that really screams to me that i need to own a bottle of this, though. I'd probably like to hang on to the imp.

Wet: Lots of ginger. White, lush, spicy floral! The calla lily and lily of the valley overpower the black pepper.

Drydown: the lilies subside a bit and the black pepper comes out, drying and blackening the mix. It now has a dusty, bone dry, white floral feel. Interesting!

This begins very strong on the lily, with just enough black pepper to give it a little bite. The effect is very austere and funereal, but I find this slightly lusher than most of the lab's funereal oils. I suppose because the only flowers here are lilies -- something about lily has a soft, round edge, to me. They aren't just white and shrill.

The ginger gradually shows up and rounds out the scent a little more, making it less somber. Over the course of an hour or so, actually, the lily steadily fades and the ginger takes its place, so it becomes more of a gentle, citrusy ginger blend w/ pepper and lily. Given the nature of fresh, citrusy ginger, it then fades pretty quickly.

Throw is decent at first, close to the skin in the gingery stage. Wear life is relatively short. It's a beautiful scent, though, and I'm contemplating getting a whole bottle. If you're a lily perfume fan and would like a decidedly funereal take on lilies, give it a try. If you're a fan of the Ars Moriendi blends, or if you wanted to like them but nothing quite worked, then also give it a try. (It reminds me slightly of Demeter's "Funeral Home".)

this is resins and florals on me. something is turning mildly leadlike in this, which is usually frankincense or sandalwood, but that isn't listed here. luckily, this fades after awhile, and i am left with a white floral-ginger scent, but a soft, white floral. this is a bit powdery, and i feel it is a "classic" scent. kind of reminds me of one of my grandmother's signature scents :) very pretty.

Edited by theseagrows

Very pretty, and one of few 'pretty' blends I feel like keeping in my collection. White florals almost never work on me, going too floral or too intense. But this is a fairly close to skin, light, early spring/easter feeling. It reminds me a lot of vampire tears, which is my default white floral blend but this almost simple enough to stand out. Not quite a single note but still a very pared down blend on my skin-which I prefer for my florals.