Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jarvenpa

Daffodils, Narcissus, Paperwhites... and Hyacinth

For as long as I can remember I have LOVED the smell and colors of Hyacinth flowers.

I adore the mythology behind it, the 'bromance' between Apollo And Hyacinthus :heart:

A lot of perfumes I have sniffed that try to emulate it are pretty sub-par or make them smell too sour, cloying, or wilted *COUGH*Penhaligon's Bluebell*COUGH*

I own Grief and love it, but it is unfortunately one of those BPAL scents that just don't throw or last on me. I don't mind too much, as I enjoy it while it's there.

I also have Egle, probably the best perfume I own with Hyacinth in it. It throws and lasts very well. It can just be very sweet!

Recently I got my hands on Whirling Wind Moon (2013) and a decant of the earlier one (2008?) and found the 2013 had a stronger hyacinth note while in the 2008 version it was more in the background.

This could easily be the age difference and the added ginger note in the 2013 version. I do love both, though.

I love the ones I have, but that said they are not the Hyacinth I am seeking.

I don't mind the mild blue sweet-sour scent that has become the main stream version.

Hyacinth is the best at smelling sad, given the story behind its namesake. I just want something closer to what's in my garden, greener and spicier than the BPAL oils I have now.

The closest right now is Egle, but it is a bit cloying.

I am nonbinary and while I do not gender-label perfume oils and consider everything unisex, I prefer to smell what can be deemed 'masculine.'

Suggestions of anything outside of BPAL are also welcome.

Any tips on layering? What can amp Grief? What can calm Egle down?

You might check out the notes for Ladon and Dawn:Mourning Victory.

How about Do The Dancing Maidens Sleep from the Trading Post? hyacinth and snow-dusted honeysuckle, sweet with asphodel and honeyed vetiver. It took me a while to figure it out, as I wasn't familiar with hyacinth or asphodel, but my process of elimination, I am now certain this is hyacinth dominant on me. If you read the review thread, it seems to be hyacinth dominant on some and honeysuckle dominant on other. I think it's gorgeous.

How about Do The Dancing Maidens Sleep from the Trading Post? hyacinth and snow-dusted honeysuckle, sweet with asphodel and honeyed vetiver. It took me a while to figure it out, as I wasn't familiar with hyacinth or asphodel, but my process of elimination, I am now certain this is hyacinth dominant on me. If you read the review thread, it seems to be hyacinth dominant on some and honeysuckle dominant on other. I think it's gorgeous.

I love it. I have no idea what hyacinth smells like, but asphodel is a lily and I know honeysuckle; I get lily and honeysuckle and some other flower too, so the third one must be the hyacinth. I've been wearing it so much this spring.

I have a bottle of do the dancing maidens sleep and it is gorgeous! It's very much a fresh hyacinth and honeysuckle scent on me. It's probably one of my absolutely favorite floral bpal scents!

I don't know what asphodel smells like, but I presume that fresh, white floral is it?

Either way, the hyacinth in this is absolutely delicious!

I never thought of those two, auspicious q, I'll have to track down some decants/imps!