Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The shadowy, fitful scent of nightmare, rife with ill-omen: osmanthus and tuberose over pulsating, heated skin musk, spiked carnation, night phlox and vesper iris.

I would have sworn there was gardenia in this. At first, it had that yecchy gardenia tone to it, but this has lessened some and become all about other types of white flowers. Still, if I want that, I can do better. Fairly pleasant but in the end this is too cloying for me. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Fresh green floral; iris base.

Wet: Heady white-green floral, a little soapy (damn you tuberose). Strong throw. IRIS, amping like crazy on my skin. Thankfully there's some nice musk preventing me from washing this off ASAP (as I'm not a fan of tuberose and iris). There's a mild, underlying sweet note, perhaps the phlox? I'm not getting any carnation. There's also a fruity-floral-heady sort of note, maybe the osmanthus?

Dry: I'm getting a 'dry' feel now, not the wet greenery of in-the-bottle. And it's getting sweeter and even more floral as time goes on, and I don't like the florals, so ughh. Time to wash off; it's making me feel ill.

Summary: Heady, sweet floral with powerful throw.

In the imp: sweet, cinnamon-y, there's something vaguely vogue or commercial about it.

Wet: A sweet, clean, flowery and rose-laced scent, I'm really getting the tuberose I think. It's a bit like classy soap at a hotel, but in a good way...like being a little kid and sniffing elegant soap for the first time and seeing silky dresses or something.

Drying: Very floral, no longer sweet, it's vaguely tropical on me like a hidden beach! I don't need to shove my wrist up my nose to smell it, a gentle breeze with my wrist a foot away brings a hint of this delicious scent. I think the sweet, warm scent is a combination of the skin musk and the phlox.

Dry-fade: It's like a sweeter version of a "beach" reminiscent perfume. It's tropical, sweet, it reminds me of sunscreen and the ocean and the sand on the beach on a warm day out in the sun. Bottle candidate for sure!

Edited by amnerine

Bottle: Weird and amber-y.

Wet: It just smells like blue flowers. I think it's the osmanthus doing it's thing. Osmanthus and I have a weird relationship.

Dry: I actually really like Dreamland and wear it a lot. I don't quite know why because I'm really bad at explaining why I like it. It's sort of just a mild, skin warm floral scent. Not as amped up and weird as some commercial perfumes and also a little sexy from the skin musk. Light, pretty, a touch of white floral and just... nice. I like it because it's nice. It's actually not my favourite scent but it's easy and I like that. At the same time it's one of my holy grail scents mostly because... it's nice and easy to wear. So it kind of becomes a winner because it's neutral without being generic. Yeah.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: So... yeah. I really like it because I don't have to think too much about why I really like it. I think it's kind of weird too.

Sweet, very light floral with an herby overtone almost like lavender. Pretty, cooling and relaxing. Decent throw.

Wispy Iris, with powdery floral notes. It smells overly perfumey and clean almost commercial like. But it's not. Maybe this is the stuff dreams are made of in the world of Edgar Allen Poe? :blink:

Oh, Dreamland. Somehow you manage to be a rather wild floral - feral and secretive, yet made of pale and ethereal notes. From whence does this ferocity come? I am inclined to think that it's in part due to this particular skin musk, which seems to be unlike the others I have previously smelled. It's lighter, more like the scent of someone who has freshly showered and then slept through half the night; not so much like the thicker and slightly "dirty" skin musk that I'm used to in BPAL blends. The florals are all of the lighter variety, appropriate for a blend named Dreamland. The osmanthus note provides that light fruity yellow apricot-floral note that I so wildly adore about it, the tuberose is spikier and cooler, the carnation a hint of warm spice. Night phlox -- I am not sure what you smell like, none of the phlox in my back yard have more than the barest of scents, and iris, well, I am not entirely sure about you either (I have no idea what iris smells like).

This dries down to a slightly tamer scent on my skin, a faintly musky pale floral with a subdued (and sexy) spiciness. My skin tends to eat blends like these for breakfast (i.e. lighter florals and lighter musks), so Dreamland doesn't have a great deal of throw or lasting power for me; others may have different mileage. I really really love this blend, yet I have a hard time keeping scents that I can't noticeably smell on myself, and I am the first to admit that my nose is not blessed with strength and fortitude. Thus, I am unsure as to whether Dreamland should stay with me, despite its wild beauty. Le sigh.

In the bottle: Carnation (a bit peppery), some phlox, the tuberose (a bit like gardenia).

Wet: The carnation calms down and the phlox amps a bit. The skin musk is keeping the others grounded.

The dry-down: After a while, the florals all combine into a bouquet of gentle loveliness, but with the creamy base of the skin musk keeping the flowers from becoming too sharp, too high, too bright, and piercing. I can see this becoming a sleep scent, but also I'll be reaching for it this spring when I want to wear scent, but not the rich foodie or fruity scents that I often prefer.

This starts out sweet with a strong dose of the bitter powderiness I associate with carnation and white flowers. Eventually that fades, leaving a very pleasant floral sweetness combined with skin musk, but I'm not getting tuberose at any phase. I've tried many Lab blends containing tuberose, and I never can pick up that heady blossom that is usually very distinctive to me. I think for strong tuberose I need to stick with more commercial blends like Fracas.