Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clephan

Eidolon

Eidolon

A curious word, meaning both a phantom or apparition and the image of an ideal. A complex, unearthly scent: Himalayan cedarwood, Italian bergamot, verbena and sage.

Initial Impression

Cedar, and lemon, and verbena. Knock-you-over cedar, and lemon, and verbena, even. The sage is a bit of an after thought.

Wearing It

This is the second or third time that I've put on something with sage and the sage comes out strongly. Not overpowering, but very noticeable. Afterwards I get a hint of verbena and cedar, but for the most part this smells like a kitchen full of herbs. It's a very nice scent, but a bit masculine and foody for my particular tastes.

In the bottle and first application: Very citrusy, along the lines of lemon or grapefruit. a tone underneath I couldn't originally identify but is likely the verbena.

While I like the scent on its own, it's not a scent I can see myself wearing with any sort of regularity. I wound up scrubbing much of it off before I left the house this morning.

EDIT: Even though I scrubbed, some scent lingers, and as it does I am picking up more of an herbal scent underscoring the lemon scent.

Edited by Soli

First sniff:

Mmm, I like this! Eidolon is crisp and herbal but at the same time warm and woody and slightly citrusy. This is very clean smelling and I'm sure it would be lovely on a man, too. :P

Wet on skin:

I love how the notes in this all come to the surface one at a time and then move aside for the next note in line. I get disconnected snatches of cedar, sage and bergamot, but they never seem to all be present at the same time. This is very fresh and clean smelling but warm enough to be inviting at the same time.

Dry down:

Once Eidolon dries, the notes seem to finally merge and I get sage and bergamot and a hint of cedar. This smells like an herb garden complete with a cedar trellace and I really like it. This would smell equally good on a man as it would on a woman, I think. :D

The bottom line:

Light and clean and airy like an herb garden on a spring morning. It's a shame this is discontinued - I like it a lot. :D

yes, clean is a good description

lemony, and the verbena must be lemon verbena :P the cedar barely peeks through the lemony smell, it is a nice warm summer day scent

Eidolon - Longstofly included this as a freebie in our swap!

In the bottle: Mostly verbena, with a hint of sage.

On me/wet: I can smell the cedar, verbena and/or bergamot equally, kind of a lemony fresh wood scent. But not in a Pledge way. :P It's a very crisp scent and makes me want to sit out in a villa in the European countryside, sip some winde and watch the hills.

Drydown: As with some woody notes, cedar becomes overpowering and basically takes over this scent. It's too bad, because the original scent was quite evocative.

Edited by scourgeotheseas

In bottle: Lemony verbena with a hint of wood in the undertones. Wow! It is very summery, crisp and clean.

On me: Pretty. Unlike June Gloom, this is a bright, happy lemon. If this was a phantom, it would be one of a child laughing and giggling in a garden on a warm summer's evening. It conjures the image of a 'happy place' - lemon that is candy-like, not sharp and stinging. Warm wood. It's very energizing and inspiring.

Origins - part of a discontinued imp pack I bought from the lab off of eBay.

Wet Wet - mostly lemon verbena, with a bit of woodsiness.

Dry - Love! As it dries the verbena mellows just a touch, and the sage comes out. The cedarwood is very well behaved, which is surpising becaues my skin usually amps it up.

This is a fresh, herbal scent, exactly what I have been looking for. Why oh why has this been discontinued? I need a bottle of this.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

In the vial, this is bitter, but on the skin, it’s lemon. The cedar adds an interesting dimension. On my skin, it’s very clearly lemon over cedar. No sage, no bergamot., but lovely just the same.

Mmmm ... mostly lemon verbena (any maybe some bergamont), with very little of the woody notes I could smell in the vial. Smells almost like citronella candles (a scent which I'm very fond of, for some strange reason).

Has a similar vibe to Embalming Fluid, though they really smell nothing alike - but they'll both be nice to wear once the weather becomes sweltering. Light and refreshing.

Bottle (Imp): Sweet sage.

Just On: Fruity sweet sage.

An hour or two later: Fruity and flowery sweet.

Around 6 hours: Fruity soap. Stupid skin.

12 hours: Hints of soap.

Overall: Well, sage is nice, and so is the sweet stuff, but the soapy stage is gonna make this one I'm not complaining about losing.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get the cedar out of this at all.

Eidolon was one of the first scents that caught my eye in the catalogue a long time ago. For some reason I must have misread the discontinued list last October because I didn't see it listed...and then it was gone! Alas! But now I got to try some, happily. :P

I was interested in this before I knew anything about the lab's oils, because I knew that I like shampoo products that have verbena in them -- and I also knew that I love cedar and bergamot. All in all it sounded like what I imagined I'd be into.

On first sniff, it smells a lot like Shadow. On application, a lot like Shadow! And on drydown, hmmm...quite a lot like Shadow. I like Shadow so this is a good thing. The main difference, I'd say, is stronger cedar in this, and a stronger herbal presence. I have discovered that I LOVE the lab's sage as well. The verbena is fairly strong but the cedar balances it nicely. Verbena, as I have discovered, is mainly something that I like in shampoo though, I'm not sure if it works on me as a perfume though I like a lot of blends that include it.

I really like this scent but I can't imagine I would use it a whole lot, unless I was able to scent some hair or bath products with it -- very refreshing, a little woody, a little dark...a nice cool dip in a forest stream, mmm.

I expecting this one to smell very woodsy, but I'm not getting any cedar out of it at all :P peculiar because my skin usually amps up cedarwood.

This is an intense lemon scent. Sour and bright. I can smell the sage in the background and it is making me ill. I have such a bad association with sage because of the rituals that it was used in when I was younger.

After about an hour, the sage has increased in intensity and something in here is going soapy. I'm not fond of Eidolon at all.

Eidolon

In the imp: the same bergamot-verbena combination from Yuki Onna, but with sage instead of jasmine.

Wet on skin: very tangy, very lemony but also quite herbal and with a bit of greenness.

Dry on skin: this is a very lemony scent. More of a herbal lemon scent, like citronella, than fruity lemon…it brings to mind the colours green and yellow. To me, this is the more gender-neutral compliment to Yuki-onna. I don't get much cedar here, it's blotted out by all the herbal lemon verbena. Maybe once that fades, it will come out.

After a while: dang it, it's turned to lemon soap. It now smells like washing up liquid. Still no cedar. Oh well.

Verdict: at first, this seemed to have potential to be a nice citrus-herbal blend, with a strong lemon-citronella scent reminiscent of Yuki-Onna, but this time with sage. But then after an hour, my skin turns against me and it starts to smell like I've been washing dishes. Yup, smells like lemon soap, washing up liquid. What a shame. At least I won't be pining for this discontinued scent.

This is a strong cedar on first application, with verbena blooming close behind it. It's fresh, as if I were standing near in a garden, near a mountain. It's not sweet, but hints at it.

After a while, the citrus notes become stronger, though the blend itself doesn't become much sweeter. It's nicely invigorating, actually, and a little breezy. I really like it--it's a shame it's been discontinued. :P

Whoa, verbena! Wow – that is strong (in the imp).

Once applied, the verbena remains at the forefront. Around the edges though I can detect a bit of sage and begamont. This is a wonderful, crisp, refreshing scent. It reminds me a strong wind (in spirit, not in smell).

I only put a little bit of this on, so that may be part of it, but it’s been about 20 minutes and I can hardly smell it now. There’s a trace of the verbena and that’s about it.

Dang, I was liking this scent a lot; it’s too bad it lasted such a short time. It's so crisp, clean and refreshing.

Eidolon - When I first apply this, it's a soft lemon verbena scent, yet despite how clean and fresh it is, it has really good throw. I don't normally care for lemon blends, but I start to think this may be one that I will enjoy very much. As it dries down, the lemon softens, and out comes the dry, arid scent of cedar, which on me, smells like pencil shavings. It doesn't take over the verbena, but it mixes with it in perfect balance. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me, since I simply can't stand the scent of cedar. After about 30 minutes, the entire scent has faded to the point where I have to sniff my skin up close to smell it at all. It doesn't waft around me in the least. I was so very excited to get a bottle of this, but I'm afraid it's going to have to find a new home.

This scent has a soft, pretty lemon scent plus a dry cedar. It's much softer than I would have expected from the notes. I'm not sure what else to say about it... it just seems like verbena and cedarwood to me. Maybe a bit of an herbal overtone from the sage, but it's not very noticeable.

Wow...this is a gorgeous blend, herbal and citrusy - this definitely has a townhouse in my alley!

This is a light scent on me, but quite pleasant.

Lemon verbena, straight up.

It is the exact scent of a utility shampoo for lice prevention. Not a keeper for me :P

Oh, I can't tell you how much I've coveted this blend - both for the concept, the name and the notes.

Guess what? It starts out as a bright happy lemon, shoots off into lemon pledge land and then sort of stays there, except the lemon takes on almost an astringent/dryer sheets quality.

WAAAH!