Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wickedgoddess

Whippoorwill

A foreboding, tenebrific death rattle; the scent of a dying breath as it wafts into the marshland: Spanish moss, cedar, black pepper, oakmoss, juniper, bamboo reeds and cardamom.

In the bottle: pepper, moss and I suspect the cardamom gives this the rounded feeling I get when I sniff it. It softens the pepper somehow. Very atmospheric--like stepping into a humid evening. It smells, to me, less like a perfume and more like a place.

On my skin: the green notes are so mellow in this! I feel as if I've stepped down the back steps of a cabin in Louisiana and floated into a foggy bog. This scent is truly one that 'sends you'.

Drydown: I agree with the other posters that say this one is a female version of Irish Spring. I LIKEY!!! :P

The notes listed for this blend is a who's who of notes I avoid. Seriously. Every single one of them is iffy at best and I usually just avoid them entirely.

So, why, I wonder, do I like this scent so much? It smells like a lush green marshy area with some reeds growing in it, and black pepper and cardamom give it a slightly hot edge. I see what other reviewers mean about smelling like Irish Spring soap -- it has that same clean greenness. But those spice notes are making it much more interesting than that. Also it seems to have a softness in it -- something that reminds me of aloe or chamomile or something like that. A gentle herby scent. It has the perfect throw on me, too -- not too heavy and not too light.

It's definitely not the sort of scent I usually wear. And to be honest, if I saw a review that described exactly the sort of scent I'm describing above, I'd think, "Meh. Pass." And yet... somehow it suits me.

Sometimes a scent you're sure you'll hate turns out to be one that you like a lot. And when you wear it people say, "Hunh, I wouldn't have expected you to wear something like that, but I have to admit that smells really good." For me, this is that scent.

[Edited on 10/8/07]

I really need to amend my review to add something: Whippoorwill has extraordinary wear length on me. I put it on my throat this afternoon, and I can still smell it almost 12 hours later. Not just the occasional waft, either. I mean I can really smell it. About 5 hours ago I was ready to smell something else, so I put some Pumpkin Cheesecake on my throat. The cheesecake scent is mostly gone now, but I still smell Whippoorwill. Now that's some staying power.

Edited by filigree_shadow

I had a chance to try this at a friend's. It was extremely high-pitched masculine scent. I suppose some would call it gender-neutral, but not I. It has been some time since I tried it, so I cannot give the best review, but let it be said

for the record,

that it gave me a splitting headache after a hour or two of wearing it.

No no no no no no no no no.

This began so beautifully - well, no, I lie: It began with a certain note of mens' shower gel that is always a warning scent for me. But then it shifted, quickly and gorgeously, and the spices began to warm up the crisp green notes, bringing everything together for something that was somehow both warm and cool.

Then my wrists itched a little. But only a little. Not like cassia.

By the time I got to work, I had sharp, prickly soap. I think shelldoo got Irish Spring in my head from when I was reading reviews when I put this one, but really: Irish Spring times 1000. It might smell really, really good on the right boy, but it makes me feel like I ought to get back in the shower!

In the imp: oakmossy soap. Huh.

On me, wet: very very soapy aquatic men's scent.

On me, dry: soapy aquatic with a hint of spice and moss over the top.

Verdict: Sigh, I was hoping this would be all moss and spice. Alas.

bottle: juniper, black pepper and cardamom.

wet: this is very wet, spicy and green. this is all spicy mosses on my skin, so pretty.

dry: this dries to a sweet green scent, still with that wonderful peppery tang. i am in love, i will need another bottle of this someday.

This didn't turn out as expected. I get a lot of pepper and cedar from it. There is a bit of moss, but its way way back in the foreground. It's basically pepper and cedar.

Made.of.lose

*sigh* I was hoping for a green scent, instead I got pepper.

Hehehehe this is a diabolically good scent of fresh air and vegetation. Sharp and clear scent. I just read Lovecraft's story involving Whipporwills in "The Dunwich Horror" last week and loved this oil's reference to it.