BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Penance

Cinnamon

I can't believe this doesn't have a topic already...weird. :P

Origin:

The Pumpkin King circular swap. :D

My impressions:

Cinnamon without smelling like a craft store or potpurri. I definitely recognize this from Three Witches. It's an almost musty smelling cinnamon, more like cinnamon sticks than red hots (i.e. realistic instead of fake). I like cinnamon a lot, but I can't see myself wearing this on its own. It's definitely nice, though. :D

Bottle (Imp): Well duh, it smells like cinnamon.

Just On: Yep, cinnamon.

An hour or two later: Well, big shock, it smells just like real cinnamon. Like the sticks, fresh ground, not the powder you might buy in a bottle at the grocery store that have been on the shelf for 87 years.

Around 6 hours: Okay, it's still (you really cannot be surprised by this) cinnamon.

12 hours: I can just *barely* smell the cinnamon now.

Overall: Well, what more can I say that Beth is genius. How DOES she bottle these scents so true?

After reading other reviews: Yeah, a real cinnamon scent.

119755082.jpg

BPAL blends which include Cinnamon single note as one of it's ingredients:

Al-Shairan, Aries, Blood Lust, Bengal, Chimera, Eclipse, Faustus, Geek, Gingerbread Poppet, Harlot, Hermes (TAL), Highwaymen, Inferno, Malkuth, Mars, Sin, Three Witches, Umbra, Wrath.

In the bottle

not as strong as I thought, it actually smell sin the bottle of some kind of baked good, not a full on strong cinnamon as I thought.

On

So nice, sublime, oddly enough.

It's warm and wonderfulyl spicey in a golden way not a bright red way if that makes sense.

It smells like a freshly grated cinnamon stick. :P

30 minutes

It's still the same as when i put it on half an hour ago which is good. It hasn't lost any of it's strength of scent either.

Throw:

This has more than average throw.

Scent category:

Spicy

Summary

I can't get over how fresh this smells. It actually has the smell of the outdoors in it.

Purchase again?

Yes. a 5ml.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

In my quest to go through every single note in my possession... today I picked cinnamon.

I was actually dreading trying this one because I hate strong cinnamon scents. And I expected this to be insanely strong in that red hots candies sort of way. Oddly, it's not.

As others have said, this is more of a freshly ground cinnamon stick scent. Not too strong or overly sharp or candied. It smells like I lightly dusted my wrist with fresh cinnamon and sugar.

Surprisingly, I like this. I'm going to keep around a decant of it to layer with other scents. Cinnamon is wonderfully versatile for layering :P

Wow...I've had my imp for ages and I still haven't reviewed it???

Cinnamon SN is GORGEOUS. It is nowhere near redhots (thank goodness...I don't like redhots cinnamon!) but is instead slightly powdery, subdued, sweet and spicy. It's the cinnamon in Three Witches, and it's certainly not banal, as one might expect from such a ubiquitous note.

In bottle: Not a particularly spicy cinnamon. It rather reminds me of craft stores. It's rather musty and old-smelling, but I suppose any cinnamon's bound to lose it's zip when it's well over a year old.

On me: Doesn't burn my skin; good to know. (You'd think I'd be bright and delude it to be safe, but no! I'm foolhardy! Definitely cinnamon, can't deny it. Warm and spicy and just a teensy bit sweet ; definitely a red scent. Not as zippy as I would've expected, but I suspect it can't be help as the oil's aged quite a bit.

Cinnamon - Oooh, red, hot, sweet, spicy, cinnamon! This is simply amazing on it's own, but man does it burn my skin like a mofo. But it smells soooo good, like Hot Tamales. I want to lick my skin!

You know what I'm going to do with my imp? I'm going to buy a bottle of new Snake Oil and I'm going to dump this imp of Cinnamon SN into it then set it aside for 6-12 months and mmmmm..... won't it be good then! Very yummy.

It has a low level of throw, but I'm surprised at how long the single note lasts on my skin since it usually fades quickly in blends with cinnamon. Very interesting. I'm so glad I got to try this one!

Cinnamon

In the bottle: it's cinnamon, but not what you expect. This actually smells like a nicer, creamier version of my Cinnamon Leaf essential oil, as opposed to the foodier bark scent. Hints of pepper and clove can be detected here as well.

Wet on skin: warm cinnamon leaf.

Dry on skin: warm, heated, spicy cinnamon leaf. This smells like a very superior cinnamon leaf essential oil-not as harsh as some, this is creamy and smooth, and with a real 'allspice' feel to it-I get hints of clove and pepper as well as cinnamon. It's very nice, cosy, pleasant, warmly comforting. I just wish it was a foodier cinnamon, like the scent of the powdered spice I add to my food…unless that's cinnamon bark, or even cassia?

After a while: this gets smoky after a while, also a bit darker, drier…I'm reminded of both versions of Three Witches. There's a slight hint of orange in the background and I'm reminded of Christmas.

Then the scent smoothes out a bit more and becomes a drier, lighter cinnamon.

Verdict: this is a gorgeous cinnamon scent-very different to what I was expecting-this is a cinnamon leaf scent, dry, warm, spicy, slightly clove like and peppered, and smoky. It's lovely and natural, there's absolutely nothing 'red hots' about this scent whatsoever! The only disadvantage is that I was hoping for a sweeter, foody cinnamon scent-like the scent of cinnamon sticks, or cinnamon powder I use in cakes, cinnamon toast and so on-I really wanted that perfect cinnamon scent but despite this SN's loveliness, it's not the cinnamon I was hoping for. I do like it though-it smells so much nicer than my cinnamon leaf e.o.

Emoticon rating: :P

Origin: imp received in a swap

Initial Thoughts: I love cinnamon in foods and cinnamon-scented items like candles, so I was really glad to have a chance to try the BPAL SN.

In the Bottle: It smells more like a spice cupboard than pure cinnamon, with a sour tinge coming from somewhere, clove-like but not clove.

Wet: The sourness amps up momentarily, but begins to fade when the cinnamon rises.

Drydown: A cinnamon stick with a little bite of pepper. Definitely the spice version, rather than the "hot" version.

Verdict: This is a lovely scent to experience, but I don't think I would wear this alone. I can see layering it with other scents to add or enhance the spice of it.

It's a nice warm cinnamon, not spicy or the fake-y cinnamon of red hots. It's comforting and rich. Definitely the cinnamon in Three Witches. I get a bit of a woodsy hint during drydown, like there's nutmeg or something else layered underneath.

It's really gorgeous, but did irritate my wrist a little.

as a trillion other reviewers have said, this one smells like... cinnamon. Not sugary in the slightest, it smells like the earthy woody powdery spicy smell of a broken cinnamon stick. Gorgeous, and nothing at all like how we've come to expect "cinnamon" to smell/taste. So glad I got to try this one. :P

Clear, spicy cinnamon. Touch of sweetness. Gorgeous! This definitely reminds me of Three Witches.

Hmmm. Cinnamon. This doesn't smell like the cassia cinnamon kind, but the other one (the one traditionally used in Mexico for their cakes). Clear and spicy, it makes me think of cookies. Slightly earthy and woody, not sugary. Not red-hot, simply... cinnamon.

Unlike, I think, most of the reviewers, I do actually get red hots from SN Cinnamon--when it is wet, at least. After a god half an hour, it has dried down to a dustier cinnamon that is, I think, more reminiscent of cinnamon sticks, though it still retains, on me, the slightest hint of red hots.

Ultimately, it means that, while I don't wear it on it's own, I do tend to use SN Cinnamon a fair bit for layering where I'd like a bit more spiciness--it tends, e.g., to help take the buttery edge of of pumpkin scents--but it must be used judiciously if you fall, as I do, among the more sensitive skinned people out there, such that cinnamon tends to, er, burn a bit.