Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Santa Muerte

… A deep, resonant scent, both comforting and soft: lovers’ roses, solemn chrysanthemum, dark vetiver and dazzling cactus flowers.

This smells like Demeter's Beeswax paired with a chocolate rose. Other than the rose, nothing like that is listed in the notes. It is to boggle.

After a bit, I smell flowers -- the strongest of which I think must be the chrysanthemum. I like it. It reminds me a little of the "marigold" note of Flor de Muerto, but less sunny and yellow-smelling. And then the cactus flower comes out beside it.

But this still smells a lot to me like Demeter's Beeswax. Demeter describes their beeswax blend as calming, and this blend certainly is that -- it's just not what I was expecting here.

I do like it mixed with these flowers, though!

Wet: WOW, that's a lot of smoky vetiver! Actually has the ash-tray effect for a second, but that passes quickly. Still not caring for it though. Vetiver usually disappears on my skin though, so I am giving it time.

Dry: As per usual, the vetiver dies right down, leaving mostly roses with a hint of smokiness. Quite nice, actually. But I do think I have other rose scents I like better, so likely don't need more of this one.

I wanted so badly to love this. This SOUNDS like something I should love! ...In theory, but in practice.... this smells like cigarette butts on me. Fruity cigarette butts. I don't care if this morphs into the most amazing thing I've ever smelled in an hour, it's not worth smelling like an ash tray, washed it off after five minutes of going "No, you must be BEAUTIFUL!" :frustrated: :cry2:

In the imp this is dark, moody, and mum-heavy, and I expected to love it. I do love it, in the imp. On my skin something (cactus flower?) turns to a near-candy sweeetness and it's overpowering everything else. I don't even smell the vetiver! It smells like some of the cheap, fruity body sprays I used as a preteen. :( I love desert scents (heck, I just love deserts), but this one refuses to work for me.

I was hoping that this would work because I like cactus and cactus flower scents. Vetiver amps on me though, so I was a little wary. It turns out that the vetiver just drowns out everything for a while. Eventually some rose peeks out, but it's the powdery kind. There is nary a sign of cactus flower so off to swaps it goes.

This goes on as rose and sour vetiver and then morphs into slightly jammy rose swirled with juicy cactus flowers, with no vetiver to be found. At first, there's just a touch of chrysanthemum lingering in the background, but after several hours, it ends up becoming the dominant note so that it smells like dry chrysanthemums tinged with a bit of rose and cactus flowers.

I think this one is nice after the harsh beginning, but I don't think it is something I would end up wearing.