Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shelldoo

Babalu Aye

whoot got this from the sweetest swapper ever (ivyand peony) altho i wold like to know it's ritual use i will review it as a scent

this is resinous, there is an evergreen in here for sure, i was thinking cedar but it may be a pine, and i believe there is sandalwood, as it dries i mellows and gets a slight touch of a spice possibly cloves, it is faintly resemblant of my clove cigarettes

i actually like it as a scent i am a resin lover....nw to find out the use of it so i can see if it "works" :P

Origin:

Shortie from the lovely ivyandpeony. :D

First sniff:

Very unusual. Babalu Aye manages to smell like resin, wood, astringent herbs and some sort of cleaning fluid all rolled into one. :P

Wet on skin:

No more cleaning fluid, but I've sneezed three times in the time it took me to put this on and close the lid. It's probably allergies (generic allergies, I mean, not a scent allergy) that just happen to be choosing now to strike, but it's a little worrisome.

As for how it smells...I'm going to have a hard time describing this apart from saying this smells like a voodoo blend. It just has the right sort of character for it, which is fabulous. The best I can do to pin it down is: wood...maybe redwood or possibly oak, resin...dry resin without any sweetness, herbs and a touch of pine, possibly.

Dry down:

I really like this. Babalu Aye wins the prize for the voodoo blend that smells the most like it was meant to be a voodoo blend. It's mysterious and occult smelling somehow (and it makes me sneeze, which is apparently an added bonus :D). Once it dries, all the astringent qualities disappear and it's sweetish resinous wood with a hint of mystery. A very enigmatic blend to say the least.

The bottom line:

I'm not sure what (if anything) this is supposed to do, but it smells positively Voodoo Queenish. Yes, I just made up a word and I don't care. This one's a keeper!

In the bottle: Suntan lotion + cinnamon & mint

First on: Herbal and minty, but I still smell a hint of the suntan lotion

Drydown: Cinnamon comes out, mint goes away, but there's still the suntan lotion in the background. It's a very complex scent.

I get pure suntan lotion, both in the imp and on me. Not the fake coconut Hawaiian Tropic kind, more like cocoa butter. It's not bad, kind of pleasant, but a little distracting - makes me feel like I should be relaxing on the beach instead of trying to get any work done! :P

As far as its voodoo properties are concerned, so far it has not had a particularly healing effect.. Need to read up on what kind of spells one should cast to appeal to the orisha. I'll edit this post when I find out.

I can't give a real review of this as I only dabbed it on at Black Broom, along with about 9 other things, but it's definitely cinnamonny and pleasant. I didn't get the impression of anything resinous or heavy.

In the bottle - spicy! Cloves and sage perhaps?

On me - Yup, lots of cloves, I really think I smell sage, something resiny, and I also get a hint of something citrus.

It's not unpleasant, but it's not really me.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Barb25

In the bottle, this is very piney or evergreen... I tend to think 'cedar' by choice, but it's almost acrid in its resinous pineyness.

On skin, though, it softens, gaining a warmer sort of scent. There's a bit of sandalwood, I think, but what I mostly seem to get from it is a combination of that cedar and...coconut. I swear it's coconut. Cedar, sandalwood, and coconut. I like it more than I thought I would...most of the Orisha scents don't like me much, and when I smelled it in the vial, I thought it would be the same way. But this is a much warmer and sweeter scent; just enough cedar to keep it from being foody, not incensy, just warm and slightly resinous-sweet.

Although I don't feel compelled to track down a whole bottle, I -do- find that I like it, and plan to keep the imp for the occasions when the mood strikes to wear it.

Scent: It's beautiful. It has a resinous, spicy, magic/occult shop scent to it.

Use: I was given a decant of this from a friend when I was very, very ill. I understand Babalu Aye to be the Orisha who governs epidemics and illnesses that are infectious. While my illness was neither of those two things, I was still very scarily sick. With my friend's help we performed a healing ritual complete with offerings to Babalu Aye. It didn't cure me, but it really unleashed something big because I found that was able to let go of fear and worry, which in turn kept me in a peaceful, pain-free state for a number of days and overall, I think I was much in a much better state from that ritual on.

Edited by alicia_stardust