Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

The Serpent in the Carnations

Snake Oil-soaked carnation petals, spiked with a dash of clove and allspice.

Just got my package two days ago, so this is a first impression test and is subject to change with more rest!! 

Freshly applied: Hm, interesting! I definitely recognize that unique carnation spice note from Alice, but take out all the supporting milk & honey creamy sweetness, and replace it with a dark earthy musk and spice smell, which i imagine is supposed to be the snake oil, but it smells kinda different from snake oil to my nose.

Drydown: the carnation spice is still the same, but the "snake oil" backdrop is changing to be a lil more pleasant. I smell clove, and an earthy type of patchouli and the vegetal muskiness. but its still a lil.. bitter(?), I feel it's lacking a little of the dark vanilla that makes regular SO so addicting to me? Actually after like 30mins or so this gets much better, all the different spices (carnation, clove, allspice, snake oil spice) are melding more harmoniously into one huffworthy floral spiced earthy musk!! Like Serpent in the Roses, it takes a while to warm up on the skin and develop into maximum allure. i think this will get even better with rest!

First wear: very carnation: pink, somewhat powdery floral. Soft clove. The Snake Oil background is not prominent, somehow there's an occasional whiff of suede leather in the background. I think my brain is mistaking the patchouli and musk for leather. I'm reminded of The Bow and Crown of Conquest. Up close I get Snake Oil. The Snake will likely get stronger with time.

I'll have to test this one later. As Snake Oil blends go this isn't my favorite so far because I'm neutral on carnation. But Snake Oil blends also intensify with time and I do like clove.

Day two, warmer: the vanilla, spice, and amber(?) are really coming out.

After some aging the clove really is evident. The Snake Oil has come out and overtaken the carnation, making this red instead of pink.

Edited by patina

Absolutely gorgeous. I agree with the review that compared this to the carnation note of Alice just without the milkyness. Instead it’s mixed with a seductive waft of spicy Snake Oil goodness. If all you smell in the bottle is the spices, put it on and let it bloom on the skin. 

This features the Lab's spicy, cinnamon-y red carnation note, with the dusty patchouli that's found in current iterations of Snake Oil. The carnation and spices are the star of the show throughout most of the wear, but the other aspects of the Snake Oil gradually emerge more over time, only they don't smell as bold as fresh Snake Oil used to, and I'm not getting a lot of vanilla from this. The spices in this did not burn or turn my skin red when I tested this on the back of my hand (I have sensitive skin), but there's no way I'd risk applying this somewhere like the crooks of my elbows. It took at least six hours for any vanilla to show up, but again, it wasn't even as prominent as it was in some of last year's Snake Oil Yule variants.

I think fans of red carnation and the Lab's current iterations of Snake Oil will enjoy this, but I can't see myself reaching for it over Alice or Queen Alice when I feel the urge to wear some carnation.

Edited by doomsday_disco