Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

Dragon's Blood Incense

Dark and brooding, a vampiric lovesong. 

Sumatran Daemonorops draco, fossilized amber, red vegetal musk, and champaca resinoid.

Edited by Jenjin

I absolutely love this. I don’t even know how to describe it - it’s red musk but deep, the champaca is respectful and not stomping, the amber is a beautiful backbone and there’s a blood note, but it’s not too perfume-y or loud. It’s gorgeously blended and I could not stop taking whiffs of it all day. I love it!!

For some reason, this gave me leather vibes when it was fresh out of the mailbox a couple days ago, but now that it's had time to settle, it's more like ... suede. I was a little ambivalent about ordering this because red musk can be pretty pitchy on my skin, and even champaca can turn into one-note Head Shop, but both of them behave. The amber is very low-key, present in the background but not too powdery. It's a somewhat dry scent, which is appropriate to the "incense" part of the description. It's calm, warm, and glowing. Very inviting.

You have to let this one sit and meld with your chemistry for a little while - while it's not super loud to begin with, it draws closer to the skin over time, and it levels out around 20-30 minutes. It does last quite a while; I put some on yesterday morning and could still smell it when I got home almost 12 hours later.

Dragon’s Blood Incense is all dreamy red musk and heady champaca flower and a swoony curl of dragon’s blood smoke and is the olfactory equivalent of an oxblood velvet babydoll dress, big stompy boots , and lying on the floor in your first apartment at one am and listening to Concrete Blonde.

Every time that I wear this, it smells different, and I think that's to do with the oils separating.  My bottle is completely separated into two halves with a light oil on top and the bottom half is dark, heavy and a bit sludgy.  Sniffing in the bottle before mixing it up, I get a blast of headshop dragon's blood incense but, mixed up, I either get a strong red musk or a strong fossilized amber as the main note.  Either way, it's been gorgeous every time that I've worn it.  I get along great with all of the listed notes, so it makes me happy no matter which way it turns.

I love fossilized amber so much.  It's incense smoky and sweetly resinous with hints of misty, dark pine.  The balsamic and pine tones make me feel like I'm deep into the shadowy parts of a pine forest, burning resins and incense in a thankful ritual, with the champaca giving it more of a dry, papery, grey incense smoke in the drydown.  I'm wearing this today and I'm getting all of the incense smoke and burning resins.  After an hour, I can smell hints of the red musk and dragon's blood peeking through as well.

If my mixing leans more to the red musk side of things, though, I get more dragon's blood as well, and the two notes mesh together into a sensual red glow that's very rich, slightly vanillic, slightly fruity in a red wine way, and infused with lighter incense smoke.  I've been buying from the Lab for almost 20 years now and I still have a hard time describing their distinctive red musk notes.  I have a hard time properly describing things that just smell amazing to me.  It's so smooth and sultry.

I hope that this review makes sense.  It's just been a different experience every time that I've worn this one, and I think it's the mixing of the two layers.

This is it. Head shop. Dragon's Blood incense. Yup. No weird. Just the good. 

Also- yes, separate layers in the bottle. I haven't played with the nuance of the wearing shaken or unstirred (lol), but I put just a dab on after I gave it a good swirl and it was wonderful. Just a bit sticky. Very enjoyable.

It's a shame the bottle was only full to between the label and the shoulder though. 

Editing to add a comparison between this and Garnet, since there isn't a review thread up yet...

Garnet and Dragon's Blood Incense are very similar. In fact, the only difference to me so far is that Garnet is sweet and DBI is amber/champa-y. Yikes. Also worth noting is that my bottle of Garnet was also filled to below the shoulder and, for $35, that's crap. Garnet is extremely similar to Nocturne Alchemy's Kashmir. I would say Kashmir is inbetween Garnet and DBI. Nothing revolutionary going on with DBI or Garnet.

Edited by HerbGirl