Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

Puff Pastry Apple Roses

A deceptively simple recipe: paper-thin red apple slices pulled from a bath of lemon juice and rosewater, sprinkled with cinnamon,
layered 
just so in syrup-brushed strips of pastry, and then rolled into perfect rosebud shapes that crisp up into a red-gold bouquet in the oven.

Edited by Jenjin

This starts off with fresh apples with a tiny hint of rosewater and lemon.  The rose & lemon fade and next I get sugar & cinnamon with the apple note.  The drydown is a light pastry scent.  The throw is moderate-to-light and the staying power isn't very long, that should hopefully improve with aging.  This is a lovely, yummy foodie scent. 

This is actually more lemony than I expected. The dominant note throughout wear on me is not the apple or the rose, but a lemony glaze that reminds me of lemon pound cake, accompanied by some rosewater-splashed apple. Both the rose and the apple are pretty subdued here, at least, on my skin. I also don't get much cinnamon from this. I tried this twice, and the first time, I thought I smelled the pastry, but the second time, it was more about that lemony glaze.

I like this, but at the moment, I don't feel like I need more than my decant... which I'll be keeping to wear when I make Chef John's Puff Pastry Apple Roses this year. I'll probably retest it before it goes away to make sure that just the decant will suffice. I like the creamy lemon here, but I was just expecting this to be much stronger on the apple.

I amp Apple and Roses, so that's basically what I get. Sweet Apple Rose. The thing is, it's so darn good. I have many Apple blends, but 🍎 plus 🌹 is now a necessity. It reminds me of Apple Sugar from a previous release, plus a light but sharp red rose scent (if that makes any sense?).

It is very potent. A little goes a long way!

Edited by Sjofn

Lemon and apples with rosewater. Foodie, but not very baked goods smelling on me. I can barely detect any of the spice notes, and instead get a scent that is surprisingly fresh and citrus. It reminds me a lot more of the lemon-rosewater bath the apple slices are in, before they go into the pastries. A bright, enjoyable scent, especially for apple or citrus lovers, but not if you're wanting a pastry scent.