Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Dead Laves, Shortbread & Crystallized Ginger

The softly decaying dead leaves component of this perfume is so fleeting, almost as if leaf litter and loam were used as padding for a parcel of treats, but the parcel was delivered and the packaging was tossed willy nilly, and what we are left with is the sugar-crusted delight of candied ginger-flecked buttery shortbread with crisp, caramelized edges.

my skin just devours this. a sparkle of ginger on application disappearing into a memory of leaves and cookies. it's absolutely gorgeous but I'd have to slather it.

Dead Leaves, Shortbread & Crystallized Ginger was a gamble for me, since the dead leaves note often does not work on my skin. This starts out with the sharp, bitter green pepper note that usually disappoints me, but luckily the other notes come in to play during dry down and make those leaves behave. The sweet buttery shortbread balances beautifully and cancels out the bitterness, leaving that powdery crunchy scent I’m always looking for in the DL series. The ginger adds a nice bit of light spice but isn’t overpowering.

Altogether this is a delicious autumn scent reminiscent of eating cookies while kicking through crunchy drifts of colorful leaves.

Just out of the oven ginger shortbread. The shortbread is the strongest on me. I can pick out the ginger, which definitely smells like a garnish on the shortbread. Also, the DL note is there, but I can't pick it out on it's own. Instead, the DL add a more roasted and almost cozy quality to the scent. Overall, not so much a dead leaves scent on me as a freshly baked ginger shortbread cookies scent.

The dead leaves in this are the sharp, cologne-y variety that I swear has some neroli in the accord, mixed with some ginger and some syrup-y shortbread. The shortbread doesn't make me think of the shortbread note from Shortbread Diamonds; it is not powdery, or buttery, but more brown sugar-y, in the vein of the Box of Sugar Cookies from 2021. The fresh ginger is most noticeable during the wet phase of this scent, and there's a time when the ginger and the shortbread overtake the dead leaves, but it actually ends up being more about the syrupy shortbread backed by the dead leaves for most of the wear, before morphing and becoming strongest on the dead leaves again, coated with a dusting of the shortbread's brown sugar. It reminds me of Dead Leaves and Donuts Atmo, actually, but with a different source for the sugar component.

I am not a fan of most dead leaves scents, and this one is not an exception; it's because of the sharpness of the dead leaves note in this particular blend, as this scent did not go the bell pepper route on me. Unlike last year's Dead Leaves, Vanilla Bean, Pink Fig, and Brandied Dates, where the dead leaves were MIA, the dead leaves are very present in this one, so I'd only recommend this to someone who wants the dead leaves, and would enjoy them paired with something sugary.