Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Vintage Ghost Blow Mold

Vintage Ghost Blow Mold: and very light floofy candy corn scent with almost a touch of sweet cream. Amber is a delicate sweet backdrop. It’s not powdery. And I get no “plastic.” But my skin never gets that scary plastic people speak of so your experience could be different. I wish it had more throw and staying power, but I can’t stop sniffing my wrist. She’s a sweet soft ghosty baby eating discarded candy corn after trick or treating. 👻

There's a definite hit of candy corn when this is freshly applied. While wet and on the drydown, it's more of a general buttery mallowcreme-esque sweetness, and then the amber hits and takes it in a very different direction. This is more of a clean amber to my nose, very different from Vintage Frank's amber. Fully dry, it's more of a sweet, clean scent than anything specifically reminiscent of candy corn, to me at least. Not so clean as to read as laundry though, if my review is causing concern. 

edit. With time I detect this as the same or similar amber to Frank, but something in this one is still causing it to read a bit clean to me. The candy corn/mallowcreme scent is also hanging around better with a bit of age on it. 

Edited by Beary Strange

"If amber were vanilla candy" is the best way I can think to describe this. It's sweet, but not bag of candy corn sweet. As with Vintage Frankenstein BM, the milk veils and softens the other notes, but it doesn't read as a milk perfume either. The result is surprisingly sophisticated and not childish at all. This one, sadly, goes through a brief plastic vanilla stage on me, then settles into sweetened, milky vanilla amber. Very light in a way that feels ghostly and brittle (like a plastic mold); I have to get my nose right on my skin to smell it, but it's a standout light, dry amber. This is a surprise bottle purchase for me; I can't get enough of that final ghostly amber drydown. I could smell like this 24/7 and be happy.

OMG I'm in love. I hesitated on this one solely because I have a sensory aversion to actual "plastic" smell, but just received a decant and my fears were for naught. This is a sweet, somehow nostalgic candy corn/vanilla that fades to a softly sweet amber. "Glowing" is honestly a perfect description, and I don't know how Beth does it but she really did evoke a softly-glowing halloween decoration. Absolutely love this one and can see it becoming a top-10 favorite - it's that good. ETA: Forget top-10, this scent is a top-3 BPAL ever for me.

Edited by frizzlechicken

This is *wonderful*. Creamy and fluffy marshmallow and vanilla, and I can definitely see where the plastic bite comes in, but it doesn't smell like actual plastic. It's more like... Wax almost? It's really lovely, and the throw and longevity are great. 

Vintage Ghost Blow Mold is indeed warm and glowing like it’s inspiration. Right off, I get a sweet milky vanilla (no plastic here) balanced with golden amber. There’s just a whisper of the classic fabric note, perhaps a nod to the ghost’s garment, and a bit o’ honey, like some spilled candy corn on the sidewalk next to the vintage decor.

This does remind me of trick-or-treating when I was a kid and enjoying candy from a plastic pumpkin while I wandered past all of the neighbors’ ghostly yard decorations. Very nostalgic and sweet!

So the plastic note isn't plastic at all, but I can't quite grasp what it is...but it smells like a lit up decoration that you just turned on. It's like orange rind. But not citrusy...like just the white of the rind. The pith. And it sits on top of a the milky shell. There is sweetness underneath too. And then it's like the light gets a bit warmer and an amber glow comes out as it gets sweeter and milkier. The drydown is GORGEOUS. 

Came back to add: I just realized what it reminds me of....Zorya P but without the moonflower and tobacco notes I think. I wonder if there is ambergris in this. 

Edited by amoray

The initial wet smack was a bit stronger than I expected. It dries down to the sort of light, sweet, liltingly gorgeous sugary warm smell that no one would ever complain about. 

ETA: you definitely must get this. I find the opening/initial overtone that many have mentioned to have eased up/integrated into my understanding of this scent and it is fabulous.  There's something about the drydown that's so compelling (it's the 'initial wet smack' and WoolyBee identified it as a 'clean overtone') but cannot identify anything close to the notes) I can't stop hoping for more whiffs. 

Edited by ND¢

Fascinating! I initially passed this one up, because the candy corn scared me. After reading some reviews, I took the plunge and purchased a bottle. First it’s super sweet smelling, a candied vanilla (which makes sense with the candy corn note). And as it dries down I get a beautiful vanilla amber, with a hint of something clean. It’s almost like a bright linen or cotton note. And I think that’s actually the “plastic”. It doesn’t smell plasticky at all. Not in the traditional sense. I guess “milky-white plastic” in this blend makes me associate it with something clean, but not freshly laundered. Almost skin-like. Haha as I was writing that, I just looked back on my Vintage Dracula Blow Mold review and I also associated the plastic note with a skin-like quality. The funny thing is that they are totally different close-to-skin scents. This one is fresher and clean, with the vanilla and amber to round it out and give it some body/umpfh. But VinDrac is more skin-musk. At least to my unqualified nose. Overall, this is a really beautiful sweet vanilla amber, with clean overtones. This one surprised me for sure. I was worried it would be too gourmand and too sweet, but I’m so glad I listened to the reviews.

Oh that is nice. Sweet candy corn – basically sugar and cream - amplified by warm glowing amber. No “plastic” but very white, creamy, vanilla overall. I love it and want to smell like marshmallow amber 24/7 OMG. Like it just gets more amazing as I type.

The first time I tried this, I thought I was smelling a light, plastic-infused candy corn that smelled somewhat like buttercream, backed by a lemony amber.

The second time I tried this, I got lightly burning plastic swirled with candy corn that smells somewhat like buttercream. I am not getting that wonderful lemony aspect that I got from this scent when I first tried it, so I'm not sure if that were a fluke, or it just happened to be replaced with lightly burning plastic this time. So I can't definitely say 'this is ___ amber note,' but I can at least say it's not the same as Vintage Witch Blow Mold, which features a strong white amber.

Despite me describing this as lightly burned buttercream-infused plastic, it's actually more pleasant than my description makes it sound. Of the blow mold scents that I've tried (all of the Halloween ones and just one of the Yule ones thus far), I'd say that this and the Dracula blow mold are the strongest on the plastic, yet the plastic isn't off-putting in either of them. I'm going to spend more time with this one and try to pay more attention to the amber. But at the moment, I feel like the scent doesn't have enough throw on me to warrant needing a bottle.

Edited by doomsday_disco

For me, this is in the same family as Boo and Traditional Sheet Ghost, which I think is cool.  It has a soapy, clean laundry to it (that I see no one else has mentioned, but it's so prominent to me for the first half hour), hint of sweet lemon, and sugary, creamy candy corn that leans vanilla-y and not at all waxy like actual candy corn (more like buttercream frosting).  I don't get the plastic at all, but there's a warm, slightly powdery, snuggly amber note in the drydown.  The sweet, vanilla-y note is the strongest to me.  Overall, though, this is a light scent on me, only lasting a couple hours with low throw.

The opening almost made me run away - I thought maybe it was the glowing Amber note - anstringent, almost acidic, super strong and nose hair singeing. But fear not!! As it dries it becomes like everyone else is saying - a sweet almost waxy vanilla with great longevity & low to moderate throw. With some rest even the opening more has become less obtrusive, this one is definitely worth the drydown, now I’m considering snagging another bottle before it goes! 

Edited by myla.mouse.n.di

On me this is a light but lively candy + amber scent, just a little plasticky in the beginning, but as it dries the plastic fades, a little something milky comes in, it just gets nicer and nicer.  It's fun!  I always liked Trick Or Treat but it was just so light it kind of disappeared on me, this is light also but it has loads of staying power.  Hours later it is a skin scent but still here, and it has this amazing "bronzed" quality in this stage that I am loving, like a sweet golden amber.

I think I'll get a full bottle, because this decant isn't going to last long the way I've been wearing it!

This is a sweet, creamy amber scent on me. At first I get a hint of plastic but once it settles into my skin it becomes more of a warm, milky scent that is sweet but not in a super sweet, candy way. I agree with other reviewers that the amber here leans towards the impression of smelling quite clean. As in a clean skin scent, not laundry, but almost as though you've just stepped out of the bath. This scent does having a golden, glowing quality to it,  kind of a your skin but better scent. It's one of those scents that I'd just want to keep on wearing. 

Definitely Boo-adjacent! Sweet milky candy with a pretty hefty dusting of slightly powdery light amber. Lately I like my amber with a bit more oomph and depth, but this is very pleasant and youthful-feeling. If I don't wear it much, I might gift it to my younger sister. 

This is one of my top 2023 Weenies and my favorite of the Blow Molds. It's warm, sweet, and glowy, with just enough depth to stick around. The "plastic" isn't like a true plastic but I think of it like an "artist's interpretation" of plastic. Tasteful. I wore it so much after getting it so I think it's my official Falloween scent, the association has been locked in.

Everyone else has said it, and they're right -- this perfectly captures that scent memory of childhood Halloweens pulling out the tangle of decorations and getting that whiff of warm plastic. A wonderful glowing amber, and the candy corn note reads more as a Mellowcreme Pumpkin (I know they're essentially the same thing, but Mellowcreme is somehow tastier) and I am here for it.

This has great longevity and moderate throw on my skin, and I'd put it in my top three Weenies of 2023. I'm considering a bottle before they come down.

Sexiest little ghost in this haunted attic! Nothing here is overtly plastic, in case you were worried about that coming and squashing your fun. Sweet, clean, a little milky. I will definitely agree that there is something nostalgic about it- not for halloween specifically for me, because that’s the smell of cigarettes, mosquito spray, caramel apples, melted candies, chlorine and hot sweaty night air (Florida is still sometimes in the 80s in October. even at night) But this IS youthful and yummy. Not infantile- its powdery but not “baby powder-y”. It’s backup bottle worthy for sure- something i’ll  wear constantly. The hype is true people.

Edited by Weirdgirlpilled