Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Tonka Bean, Madagascar Vanilla, & Agarwood

This trio features a non-indolic agarwood note, although there's still a hint of hay-like farm-iness to it, there's no poo-dh. It actually mostly smells incense-y, like you've wandered into a metaphysical shop, and I believe it may be responsible for some incense notes in some of the Lab's scents. (Alas, my mind is blanking out on specific examples.) I was also expecting this to be sweeter with vanilla and tonka notes, but I'm not able to pick out the vanilla at all, and the tonka is not as prominent as it is in last year's A Breton Sorceress or The Little Owl. 

It's not something I need more of, but I'm glad I got to try this non-funky oud.

Edited by doomsday_disco

This isn't really a sweet scent and I don't smell what I normally would recognize as Madagascar vanilla (a sweet vanilla bean with tropical tones and vanilla orchid - I get none of that here).  I get more of the tonka, and it's quite baby powdery and slightly honeyed smelling.  The agarwood/oud isn't a variety that I recognize either, smelling more like a powdery, clean sandalwood and hints of cheap, dry, headshop incense, like an undertone of sharp smoke and mall incense.  I find it quite dry and sharp overall.