Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blue violet petals in a haze of orris root, coconut mist, ambergris,

white musk, oakmoss, tolu balsam, opium pod, and white patchouli.

Violet wolf checking in.

Sniff from the bottle, a sharper, slightly green and gritty mist over a subtle violet.  

Fresh on skin, quite sharp, getting a lot of initial ambergris, some sweetness from the opium segueing into a resinous mossy green, I think maybe a hiiiiint of coconut.  Right now I can't find the violet, oh no!  It's reading very much as a somewhat sharper aquatic misty ambergris musk.  There's a shadow of patchouli lurking in the background.  Coconut and orris is giving it a bit of a Black Pearl vibe.

On for about an hour... ok, there's a bit of violet base now, but like the painting, I think this scent is more about the ethereal, airy white gauziness of the dress and the violets are a complement, not the main focus.  It's quieted down a bit so that most of what I can smell is a bit of powdery violet petal, with a planty, leafy moss-musk.  It's a very interesting blend of scents.  I think from afar I get whiffs of pure violet but just like the ionones do, the petals peek into and out of presence, hiding in the folds of the misty white of the dress and the shadowy gritty dark of the patchouli/oakmoss.

It's definitely unique!  I would say: if you love violets, and are expecting them, they are here but not front and forwards.  If you usually dislike violets, this won't whomp you on the head with them, and may be a more tolerable experience of them.  It's a very beautiful interpretation of the painting.

This one is a surprise win for me! When first applied I get a mix of violets and patchouli but after a few minutes the violet becomes a very subdued part of the scent. I get a very soft coconut scent mixed with sweet opium. It's gorgeous and not like anything I already have in my bpal collection. The violet is there in the background but I wouldn't describe this is a violet scent. It is very soft and pretty. The coconut mist is really lovely and the opium is not overpowering as it can be on me sometimes. I can't pick out the oakmoss or even the balsam at all,  but I think the white musk, ambergris and Orris are there adding to the overall soft haziness of the coconut and the violet. This is more of a skin hugging scent on me.

I would normally shy away from  coconut in scents because it can sometimes be fake smelling on me and Orris and patchouli can be hit or miss. But, I find the coconut here to be much softer, maybe because it's coconut mist. 

I like this one very much, I'm happy I got a decant. Now I think I may need more than 1 bottle. 

Edited by becca_s