Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A writhing, winding, frothing mass of serpentine undulation giving birth to orchards of untold delicacy, debauchery, and ecstatic revelation. A hissing chorus calling forth wyrms from infernal depths and dragons of supernal sky to feast in tandem upon supple and unspeakable fruits. An adder stone crowned upon the head of the transgressor. A blend that is at once sensual, seductive, and sacrilegious.

Serpent scale accord, ink-black frankincense, myrrh, spikenard, and a hint of supple dark red fruits.

So, "serpent scale accord" is in A Sorceress, and I wasn't a fan of it there, full disclosure. 

This isn't what I expected. First applied, I get wet leather and red berries. The lemony frankincense comes in behind those notes, and the sweet myrrh as it warms and dries. It's very close to the skin, and a little unsettling. I want to keep sniffing it to see what happens next. I don't know the scent of spikenard, but after a quick look-up, yes it's here. It's a little bit barnyard, a little off-putting. BUT, wrapped up in the leathery scales, berries, and frank & myrrh, it's not the star of the show. It's there like a warning, but you're taking a deeper look anyway.

This is weird and somehow wonderful blend. It sweetens as it dries completely. Sacred and definitely profane.

Note: I'm testing this fresh from the mail since these are only available for a  limited time, so ymmv!

Edited by elissamay

I think this is going to be a slippery one to noses. I was scared this would be really harsh and acrid. It's surprisingly not, especially on skin. The bottle smell is a concentrated wet stone/metallic that totally makes sense for serpent scale. It reads as very herbal to me, bitter herbs; spikenard, is that you? This is arugula and spring mix; crisp, challenging, and mature in taste.

On skin, it turns more mellow, and the wet stone effect comes out way more. This reminds me of the wet concrete/stone walls at a water park, with that weirdly appealing smell of water hanging around turning a bit mildewed. The metallic twinge continues to hang around, and so does the spikier hit of herbs.

I say wet stone, but this is not aquatic to me. I wouldn't say this was a resinous one right now either. Frankincense and myrrh makes me think church incense, and this really is not that. It is truly dank stone walls, almost like an underground oubliette. This would make a great Halloween atmospheric kind of scent. It's quietly scary. The berries haven't come out yet to appease the masses. If they have, they are belladonna, poisonous and glittering.

I already have Dungeon Crawl, so I don't need a scent like this, but if you do, this is a really unique and classically-weird BPAL to try out.

OK, was really looking forward to trying this one, glad I got a backup.  Like many have said, this is NOT what I expected but I like it anyway.  In the bottle:  Getting BPAL's Snake Skin plus a bit of dark wet stone.  On, wet:  The spikenard especially runs to the front of the line, along with a tiny wee bit of incense and a bit of a dried plum afterthought.  Drydown:  Granted, I put this on and then had to take a very brisk walk for a chore, and threw on a denim jacket because it was cooler this AM but was hot when I got outside.  So, I worked up a good sweat.  When I got home, this had settled into a VERY new leather/leather polish/shoe repair shop blend -- the resinous side of this one got amped into infinity on me.  Still, I LOVE Snake Skin and the Lab's leather and resin notes in general, so this was a happy accident for me.  If you really dig STRONG leather notes this one is for you.  It may be a skin chemistry thing but on me, I wouldn't know this had a fruit note if it wasn't for the power of suggestion of reading the notes.  I know what my "go out dancing on a hot night" scent is gonna be because this is leather goth in a bottle. 

I wore this today and didn't remember the notes, so I wasn't biased in my thinking.  It starts off like sticky cherries thrown into dusty incense and quickly dries down to smell exactly like cherry Dr. Pepper on my skin.  Dark and sticky with a red cherry edge.  Sometimes resins turn cola-like, but the red fruits make it read as a perfect Dr. Pepper scent on me.  Lasts about 4 hours on me before it fades considerably.  I really think that this is a fun fragrance.

So Ejaculate of Serpents = cherry Dr. Pepper. 

So this is nothing like A Sorceress, even though they both share 'serpent scale accord' as notes. This is actually really leathery on me. I get some ink with it at first, but then it's a leather party. The resins can't compete with it, and the red fruits are nowhere to be found on my skin.

It's not for me, but it was fun to get to try it.