Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
StormtrooperPrincess

Recs for Role-Playing Games (RPG), LARP and Cosplay

There's a Moulin Rouge costumers gathering every Friday night at DragonCon in the Hyatt lobby, after a "primping" party in one of our hotel rooms. As party favors this year, I was thinking of giving people BPAL imps.

Aside from Absinthe, which is already on the list, what scents seem fitting for wearing at the Moulin Rouge?

My list so far:

Absinthe

Bordello

Paris

Belle Epoque

Maybe I'm using a broad definition, but I wanted to hit on a number of motifs from the movie:

Mata Hari

Salome

Terpsichore

Follow Me Boy

Queen

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente

Bon Vivant

Intrigue

Scherezade

Lust

Laudanum

Bathsheba

Brisingamen

Carnal

Debauchery

Desire

Hetairae

Jezebel

Seraglio

Siren

Vixen

Wanton

Hellcat

Bengal

Opium Poppy

Eris would be good for Roxanne, since she took delight in spreading discord. Any other ideas for character-specific scents?

(Edited 'cause I can't tell the dofference between "in" and "is". More coffee, please.)

Edited by Goth Hobbit

La Fee Verte!!! Part of why I had to have it was because it evokes Moulin Rouge so clearly.

I would associate Shattered with Satine specifically--you know, crystalline (like a diamond) but sad...

La Fee Verte!!! Part of why I had to have it was because it evokes Moulin Rouge so clearly.

I love everyone in our group... but not enough to share Le Fee Verte with them! :P

Think I'll probably get an imp set or two of just Absinthe, and then a smattering of the other suggestions to share. Also, some Villian so the (few) guys don't feel left out.

Thanks for the ideas, y'all!

I'm looking for a good scent for my first character.

Her name is Delphine. She's a pickpocket and possibly a spy as well. She's foul mouthed, promiscuous, and bold as hell. She's also loyal, empathetic and always up for a bit of fun. She loves girly things (especially makeup and jewelery). She's a Ravnos, if it matters, and she speaks fluent French. Above all, she's a survivor.

I can't see her in traditional perfume. Vicomte de Valmont piqued my interests, but I'd love more ideas. I see her smelling feminine, but dangerous.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

Edited by ivyandpeony
tweaked title to include clarified search terms

So, something with a bit of a gypsy twist.

Blood Countess - deceptively pretty and floral over opium?

Its maybe a bit too obvious than what you're looking for, but Blood Kiss was the first thing I thought of. "Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk." Its got the dark vampiric aspect, but its got those playful and sweet cherries and vanilla/honey.

Other possibilities:

Horreur Sympathique The perfume of a hellbound soul, gleefully lost to iniquity: blood musk, golden honey, thick black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax, and sugar cane.

Les Bijoux Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, frankincense and myrrh.

I like this one cuz its so different from the others, and it brings the french into it. :P Plus its got ritual scents (resins), the skin musk of getting up close and personal before the bite and a playful peachy girly side....

Maybe since she's promiscuous, Vixen? "Lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker's perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli."

That's all I've got for now!

What nationality is she? If she's American - especially if she's from the South - I would definitely suggest Hell's Belle. To me it's the smell of a poisonously attractive southern belle whow knows just how to turn on the charm to get what she wants; an evil Scarlett O'Hara!

If she's English I'd say Penny Dreadful would be perfect. I used to play a vain, materialistic thief and con artist from the East End who was a ruthless social climber in an online game, and I always considered Penny Dreadful to be her scent. It's brazen and forthright but at the same time, somehow shadowy. It always makes me think of Dickensian alleyways, low cut dresses and seedy demi-monde glamour.

Ooo a Ravnos - I've never played one before, I lean towards Malkavians!

Blood Countess has been mentioned, I think that would be cool....or maybe Wanda or Succubus?

*so taking notes for her next V:tM game!* :P

I'd say maybe Silk Road or something to that effect - exotic and spicy, as a Ravnos should be, right? xP Everyone else's suggestions are great, too. :D

Let's make this the topic for cosplay/roleplay recs. Or we can turn another topic into one on the same subject. It comes up every so often that a thread might be nice, like how we have the "recs for confidence" thread.

I've decided to start con-lurking next semester when I come back, because there are cons within three-four hours of me and I have friends who would want to go. Cons mean cosplay. I can't sew major-league and don't want to hire a friend (or my mom, who does sew) to do it. This means I needs a simple costume, with simple sewing. And also someone who resembles me so I don't look like all the infamous ugly cosplayers, or like Man-Faye.

I love Phoenix Wright, and I could pass for a suitably pulchritudinous Miles Edgeworth. Easy costume (buy a suit and dye it, and hand sew and starch a cravat), have the hair, love the character. I want to get in the mood for playing this guy before I start making the costume, though, so smell suggestions?

Here's some stuff on him. Not much, but it might help.. I interpret him as a little more "emo" than the description suggests because, after all, the man he lived with was this terrible cold menace who tried to make him in his cold dommy image. He succeeded at doing it for Miles' public life, but I do think that Miles and von Karma still relate like Miles is a nine-year-old boy. He's just... delicate, in a way. So, yeah, HALP, bitte.

I play V:tES, so I wear Crypt Queen during our games no matter what clan my deck is built with. Must've helped last night - I swept the table twice.

First off.. I';m a BPAL noob so I dont' knowm uch I jsut wnated to jump into this discussion becasue I looooves cospaly

I looooooooooooove V:TM

<3<3<3<3<3<3

(in response to the original post...) I picture inscene whenever I think Ravenos!! or somethign slightly outdoorsy <3

And as for Miles (BTW Good choice! You'l lbe able to get all teh componets for that costuem at a second hand store for SURE!) I picture something... rich.. somethgin with wine notes maybe? I agreethat hes'a far more emotional man then that description sugests... I think somethign complex and well belnded owudl be apropriate! In a smell I thik he migth try and over compensate for hsi fragility withsomethign very strong. The leather onh is red hot gcar, the fancy restaurent he love to go to. Just to give some ideas? :P I dunno why.. but I picture him smellni a tiny bit boozy... liek those really classy bars... where he'd brood in the back corner or something... XDXD I mgith be totally offbase...

(For waht its' worth :D I cospalyed Franzeska von Karma :D and I lveo that cahrater to death! I totally picture her wearing Black Dalia or maybe Helle's Belle. Even Pride woud lwork XDXDXD)

I'm lookngi for osmethign to wear in my larp acually! I'm crossplaying so it needs to be a boyish scent. I'd love somethign crisp and cold.... note of mint or lime would be a plus.. more so mint =3 I was lookngi at Rome for teh juniper and Envy aswell!

Ooh, I'd go for Regan

A deceptively sweet orchid vanille with a faint trace of stephanotis.

. . . or Belle Epoque, which is a lot more mischievous than it sounds.

“The Pretty Era”, France's Golden Time: an age of beauty, innovation and peace in France that lasted from the 19th Century through the first World War and gave birth to the cabaret, the cancan, and the cinema as well as the Impressionist and Art Nouveau movements. Sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood.

Yay! Just found this thread, and I've played some V:tM over the years, and a friend of mine through LARP actually recommended BPAL to me, so...glad that there's a cozy RP crowd around. I love using my BPAL on game nights or at Sci fi/Anime conventions, really helps getting into character!

My last order included yuletidy gifts for my cosplay group, who play Organization XIII characters from Kingdom Hearts with me. I had TONS of fun skimming the catalogue for them (some choices being fairly obvious, others a bit tricker)

I got two current tabletop characters who could use signature scents.

The first is for Exalted, (all you whitewolf players!) He's a Night Caste Solar, born into and exiled from the dragonblooded nobility, who's spent the better part of up-till-now in game as a southlands caravan bandit. He's impatient, somewhat of a vigilante in his goals, a bit scruffy around the edges...I'm looking for something exoticish but masculine enough- Spicy and a little dangerous.

Silk Road seems the obvious choice? I have an Imp of that and Plunder on the way... I tried layering some Fenris Wolf and Queen of Sheba last week, which worked surprisingly well.

Second character is for a cyberpunk game, and she's something of a street-smart hacker and radical activist of Mayan descent. Coffee addict, so I'm thinking somthing bitter/gritty/foody, and maybe the dark chocolate/leather combo in Tezcaltipoca would seem Mexican-Matrix blendy enough? Any other recs to try or layer?

My last order included yuletidy gifts for my cosplay group, who play Organization XIII characters from Kingdom Hearts with me. I had TONS of fun skimming the catalogue for them (some choices being fairly obvious, others a bit tricker)

OOOH... Could you share what you picked for each? I'm an Organization XIII fan - especially Axel & Demyx. I keep thinking they must have such fascinating backstories!

OOOH... Could you share what you picked for each? I'm an Organization XIII fan - especially Axel & Demyx. I keep thinking they must have such fascinating backstories!

I'm actually the Demyx cosplayer, and have had the worst time at finding an ocean aquatic that doesn't smell like tangy ozone or grapefruit to me. I'm thinking of splurging and trying Sunrise with SeaMonsters from the Salon, which I WISH came as single imp.

Anywho, the rest of the lot:

Xemnas- Oblivion. I teetered on Xem for awhile.

Xigbar- Dragon's Hide. This one's a deadringer. Dragon's blood (For LandOf) Smoke (Gunpowder?) Leather (Jacket?) It works so well.

Xally we currently don't have one in our group, but I'dprolly go ahead and get him another Dragon scent, or Hurricane.

Vexen- Gets Cathode.

Lexaeus- Again, no Lexaeus. Something Loamy, for the future.

Zexion- Dorian, Dorian. Yey.

Saix- Wolf's Heart, if only for the name irony.

Axel- Well, our Axel is lucky. She's already got my Wrath frimp from my last order, and Chimera is on the way. Cinnamons for Axel.

Luxord- Jolly Rodger, because he needs a manly Pirate Scent for his buisness in Port Royale.

Marluxia- Whip. Leather. Rose. Yes.

Larxene- Lightning. Obvious.

Roxas.... *smirk* Roxas gets Jailbait.

Oh wow! This is fun...

My first request would be for my Guild Wars character, which I cosplay at Dragon*Con. She is a mesmer, and my character wears noble attire dyed a dark red; for a costume, I wear the courtly attire, in black. (Hey, I had black boots...)

Mesmers are a spellcasting profession. The original mesmer is a bit Irish in appearance; in fact, the in-game dance for the female mesmer is an Irish jig. They tend to be a bit elegant in style.

"Mesmers are experts in indirect damage and subtle magic, focusing on manipulation of the target to sway the events of battle to their favor...The Mesmer is a profession with a steep learning curve; to become a talented mesmer, it is important to know not only your own skills and abilities, but those of every other profession in the game....Mesmers are best suited in preventing their opponent from achieving their goals, whether that be to heal, cast spells, or attack."

They use lots of mind-altering and mind control type spells. For instance, "Migraine" causes health degeneration and lengthens the time it takes to cast spells. Many of the spells cause the enemy to take damage or lose energy when they attack or cast a spell. Others may lull them so they won't attack at all.

You can see a pic of my toon here if you're curious, and my costume here. (The black at my neck is my con badge, which I flipped behind my back for the pic.)

Any ideas? I think it would be cool to have a special fragrance to wear to Dragon*Con et al. when I'm cosplaying her! I guess it would need to be general catalog, or one I could fairly easily get an imp of.

"Mesmers are experts in indirect damage and subtle magic, focusing on manipulation of the target to sway the events of battle to their favor...The Mesmer is a profession with a steep learning curve; to become a talented mesmer, it is important to know not only your own skills and abilities, but those of every other profession in the game....Mesmers are best suited in preventing their opponent from achieving their goals, whether that be to heal, cast spells, or attack."

They use lots of mind-altering and mind control type spells. For instance, "Migraine" causes health degeneration and lengthens the time it takes to cast spells. Many of the spells cause the enemy to take damage or lose energy when they attack or cast a spell. Others may lull them so they won't attack at all.

Thematically, Phantom Queen or Baobhan Sith might work well but I don't know how you do with white florals. I'd consider also Bewitched, Eris, 51 and Leanan Sidhe; Queen Mab, Spellbound, Mata Hari and Osun are probably also good choices thematically but they have rose and/or honey which hate me, if you do better with those notes they're also possibilities.

Edited by northatlantic

Thematically, Phantom Queen or Baobhan Sith might work well but I don't know how you do with white florals. I'd consider also Bewitched, Eris, 51 and Leanan Sidhe; Queen Mab, Spellbound, Mata Hari and Osun are probably also good choices thematically but they have rose and/or honey which hate me, if you do better with those notes they're also possibilities.

Wow! So many ideas; thanks!

I don't really know what works well for me yet, since I'm a newbie... (But my sis and I have some coming.) So I'll look up some of those, and try at least a couple of imps. :P After all, the next con isn't until summer; I have plenty of time to play with fragrances! :D

And as for Miles (BTW Good choice! You'l lbe able to get all teh componets for that costuem at a second hand store for SURE!) I picture something... rich.. somethgin with wine notes maybe? I agreethat hes'a far more emotional man then that description sugests... I think somethign complex and well belnded owudl be apropriate! In a smell I thik he migth try and over compensate for hsi fragility withsomethign very strong. The leather onh is red hot gcar, the fancy restaurent he love to go to. Just to give some ideas? :P I dunno why.. but I picture him smellni a tiny bit boozy... liek those really classy bars... where he'd brood in the back corner or something... XDXD I mgith be totally offbase...

(For waht its' worth :D I cospalyed Franzeska von Karma :D and I lveo that cahrater to death! I totally picture her wearing Black Dalia or maybe Helle's Belle. Even Pride woud lwork XDXDXD)

Are you the one who had the BPAL thread up over at Court Records? That was fun, though I didn't participate. Still have nothing for Miles, DX.

I feel Black Dahlia for Franziska as well, and would have so much fun with it. But I can't *be* Franny, because I can't pull off the short skirt and stockings (seen way too many bad Franziskas and I like her too much). Starting to lean towards Lana or Ema rather than Miles crossplay, actually, even if they're not as recognizeable. Ema is either Cheshire Cat or Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet smells like SCIENCE, :)), but Lana... you have any ideas? I'm not getting anything.

Alternatively, I might totally blaspheme the character and crossplay as von Karma. There are so many Edgeworths out there that surely I can find one of them willing to pose for pictures with me (yes, I kind of slash them). *He* smells like Wilde, and is why I can't wear it in any normal situation. Still have a month until I have to start making my costume.